• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rocky said:
You sure? :spy:
Well I never see them.

"Always standing on the inside looking out..." - Anthrax

I've just gotten back from travel for work, so I'll have to do a full body workout tomorrow. Probably going to go with snatches, c&j, front squats, chins, and dips.

PUMBA

PUMBA

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Only things I like about Fitness First is the wall to wall stunners that train there and the Protein Bar and Protein Shake vending machines lol :food-snacking: .

I would like a membership to "Tim's House of Pain" but the Jet lag would make leg day a real bitch.:disgust:

Tim, with the deadlifts were you saying, palms facing your shins is good or bad?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pumba said:
I would like a membership to "Tim's Patio of Pain" but the Jet lag would make leg day a real bitch.

Tim, with the deadlifts were you saying, palms facing your shins is good or bad?
The palms facing or pronated grip is good. IS likes it for use with straps because it means that you are less inclined to have your arms bent when pulling and thus less likely to tear a bicep.

I use the pronated grip until I can't hold it and then its mixed grip for me. But I make sure that I'm keeping my arms straight when I pull, and don't use straps.

Interestingly, I haven't done deadlifts since early this year, and the last time I pulled 180kg I battled to hold it (which was for 3 reps back in November). Since doing C&J and SLDL's I've actually gotten stronger on the deadlift without doing it, and the grip is just not an issue. These weightlifting moves really do strengthen you much more than the weight used.

Turkish1530

Turkish1530

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thats awesome u have ur own gym to train in.......but no eye candy :confused::uhoh2:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Glex: :ughnoes: Although it may get her to strut around in a thong........

Turkish: I made the call a long time ago to train at home. Once you get set up it really is good. But it is good to get out to gyms for a change every now and again to use some different things (leg press, decent dumbbells, seated calf raise, etc). But unless you have a bunch of fillies dropping by all the time, the eye candy will always be lacking.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Re: Tim's Esoteric Log

I did a full body day on Sunday and was away the last couple of days. I managed to get a good 10-12hrs of sleep last night after getting home late. So tonight I should feel like doing some good hard training.

I managed a good front squat on the sunday of 115kg for a power triple (I did it after my C&J and snatches just for shits and giggles) and I'm loving my lumber jack overhead presses.

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP

Nice fronts, Tim! If I'm remembering correctly they've come a long way since you started concentrating on them.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Yep, I've added somewhere around 30-40kg. Plus I seem to have a better balance of strength now and am squatting so much better. I might post a pic from a year ago of me back squatting 180kg to parallel which shows why I changed my focus.

Oh and cool avi. I went window shopping for a Les Paul the other day, compared it to the Strat and have to say that the Les Paul got my vote. Still need to find one I'm really happy with though, as my brother's LP (that I bought him) still sounds better.

Glex

Glex

VIP

That's great about your squats, really damn impressive.

Thanks for the compliment on the avi :hsughr: That's basically my guitar. I think the Strat has the best look, but I want a different one for the feel. You should try out a Telecaster; I don't like how they look, but they play fantastically. My old boss had one and he loved it for both the feel and the sound. Have you taken a look at Ibanez?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I've never liked the way the Ibanez's feel. They don't play as well as the Gibson and Fender's. I was looking at EMG and ESP, but they apparently have a lot of issues with quality control.

The Tele is meant to be the guitarist's guitar. When I played the mid $$ Strat I loved the feel of the playing, it was so much better than all the immitators. But it lacked for sound next to the LP, but stood up everywhere else. Just one of those things where a personal sound preference will guide me, but most guitars in the $$ range will be good quality instruments.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

It was rather cold this evening to be lifting.
FDBbi
(Me pointing out the 5 degree celcius temp on a thermometer)

Add to this cold night and my dehydration/tiredness from work and I had to improvise a 5x5 workout.

Bench was 100kg 5x5, and Thick bar DB rows were 51.5kg 5x5. Finished with some bicep curls, sissy triceps, and plate curls.

Winter equinox is tomorrow, so I have warmer evenings to train in to look forward to soon.

JS316

JS316

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Rocky: I may get to go to a gym and train next week. I'm already planning on doing a leg day with glute-ham raises done on one of the lat pulldowns if possible. :49:

I've done this before with a big swissball in front of me to break my fall...

did thejob but wasn't overly comfortable as the latpulldown seat was fairly narrow...

cool log mate, usually just read through without commenting... bit lazy

Strong on the cleans. Do u find u get any pain in your wrists from cocking them with heavy load?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

JS316: I only get pain in the wrists now if I'm catching the bar wrongly. I've really been working on getting my technique solid (it still sucks in comparison to real lifters who are coached) and seem to make the work sets easily. Would like to see this carry over a bit to lifting heavier.

Glex

Glex

VIP

I've never liked the way the Ibanez's feel. They don't play as well as the Gibson and Fender's. I was looking at EMG and ESP, but they apparently have a lot of issues with quality control.
I really like how a good Ibanez feels. They play incredibly fast, especially with one of their wizard necks, even though those are a little too thin. I think that's why you'll see a lot of the really fast guitarists (Steve Vai, e.g.) playing on Ibanez. It makes it damn impressive when you see people playing almost as fast on Strats (Malmsteen, Eric Johnson, e.g.), though!

And yeah, I think once you get to the right amount of money most guitars are going to be decent quality.

Way to get a workout in after work. It sucks!

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I like the Jem and JS Ibanez range too. Really nice action on them.
But yeah seeing Malmsteen playing with the Japanese Philharmoonic - I have never seen picking so fast in my life!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Welcome to Tim's Guitar Room

Today we will be discussing the various quality guitars that are available in the $1000-$1500 (US) price range ($2300-$3000 in Australia).

Gibson Les Paul Studio: Great guitar, good sound and playability, available in some nice finishes, heavy, some differences in pickups and sharpness of sound.

Gibson SG: Ok guitar, lighter sounding than its brother, neck heavy, available in some nice finishes, small guitar, ditto for sounds.

Fender Deluxe Stratocaster: Great guitar, good sound and playability, light guitar, limited finishes (hope you like white), sharp sound but slightly soft.

Fender Telecaster: haven't played one.

Ibenez JEM (Vai Signature edition): Played once and picked up a Gretsch instead.

Ibenez JS (Satriani Signature edition): Tiny guitar that had finish issues and is entirely too fiddly with the way the strings are set into the bridge.

EMG 400 or 1000: I thought with the active pickups this would be a good alternative to a Gibson LP, but apparently they lack for quality control and have a lot of returns. Also the guitarist from Evanescence plays one :thumbsdown:

Glex

Glex

VIP
Definitely try out a Tele, I was pleasantly surprised.

I've been looking for this one type of guitar online for a while...someone showed it to me a while back and now I can't remember what they're called. They're made of metal...not a steel guitar, these things are crazy looking. I think they're out of your price range, too, like $3000 US, but I was wondering if you knew what the hell I was talking about. I think the guy from Fleetwood Mac may have one.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Do you mean the type that are on the cover of Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits?

Glex

Glex

VIP
Nope, that's a steel guitar...these things have like...I can't even describe them. They look like avant garde buildings with their weird sweeping metal things. Very cool, and apparently they sound great.