• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

Deathmaggot

Deathmaggot

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ey tim how is it going?

nice set up, i wish i had a room in my house to do it, but i dont know if i could working out alone..

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rocky: And I've worked out how I can do glute ham raises here. I'll use the wall as a foot plate.

Turkish: Ironically it is outside on my patio.

Glex: Oh well, best way is to go in and harass a guitar store clerk. The last ones I dealt with were more concerned about discussing their weekend and the bands they saw. Gotta annoy those bastards! And yeh the work should settle down a bit and my training should get more organised.

Deathmaggot: Wishing doesn't make it happen, doing does! I started out buying a bench and bar second hand, and then bought some weight plates. I've slowly built up stuff to what I have now. Start small and add to it, but only if you have the room.

Deadlifted, C&J, and snatched over the weekend. Pulled 190kg, C&J for reps with 80kg (will use 90 next time, but this time it was just a warmup for deads), Snatched 80kg (PB and it was easy), and finished with some farmers walks and calf raises. Did the farmers walks with my 2.5" thick bars with 32kg. Managed 30m, 20m, and 13m. Next time I want to do 3x20m with 35kg.

Deathmaggot

Deathmaggot

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i think that wishing is the only way to make a room pop up in my small apartment, i have no space left in this small "hamster-house" !_!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Deathmaggot: Yeh the most you could hope for in that instance is some dumbbells, maybe a bench.

Well last nights workout blowed chunks.

I had gotten to my 3rd work set when I felt a strange cramping sensation in part of my pec. I lightened off 20kg and it was still there, so I stopped. I have either done a very minor tear (like really bad DOMS) or I'm not recovering well and cramping alot when I train. This really did feel like cramp leading to unduestrain on the muscles and could have caused a tear.

As such I will just do BW stuff this week, next week I will do high reps stuff, for maybe another two weeks, before heading back to heavy stuff. So I will change over to sets of 12-15 for everything (unweighted chins, pushups with weight, single leg squats, etc)

Turkish1530

Turkish1530

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
outside on teh patio, now that is what i hardcoreeeeee

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
Hi tim, too bad about your pain, at least you've detected it and are wise enough to calm down for a while. There's nothing worse than a bad-healed injury, they come back once and again forever, so well done. Hope it heals soon.

Cheers.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Turkish: Yep. It's why I have little patience for those that say they find it hard to get motivated to workout. Seriously it is all about commitment, and saying that if you don't train in the cold and wet tonight then you won't be able to fit the program in at all this week (works most times for me).

Storm: Yeh I'm just glad I didn't decide to push through the pain like so many people would advocate. I'm not sure whether it was due to not being recovered, or that I've just started creatine, or both, or something else I've missed.

Actually on the creatine, I'm up about a kilo in a week. Now weighing 85.5kg dry in the morning (~188lb). I was scared I'd put on a bit of fat, but waist is the same (although that is up a bit over winter).

Turkish1530

Turkish1530

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i like the way you operate brother working out in the cold, wet weather...true dedication!!!!!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Truth be told we are in a drought, so the rain is not really rain (its actually showers, as in isolated precipitation events of less than 5mm).

Yes my chest is feeling fine, I did some skipping (5 sets of 1min) in between pullups and chinups (alternate sets 10 reps each for 6 sets total). Unforturneately the glute ham raises didn't work out. I need some sort of a strap for my feet, so I think I will just make some sort of a plate and strap to bolt onto my rack and construct a padded knee frame.

I have a health check coming up at work next week. So I'm going to work on getting my flexibilty up (I.e. not being stiff), and perhaps some cardio to aid my resting HR and blood pressure. "But Tim it's only a week away, shouldn't you have already been doing this?" The answer is "yes" and "I have", just going to step it up a little to compensate for these light weeks while my chest "heals".

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
"But Tim it's only a week away, shouldn't you have already been doing this?" The answer is "yes" and "I have", just going to step it up a little to compensate for these light weeks while my chest "heals".
Lol. It's not like you wouldn't pass without preparation.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Glex: But I want to blitz it! You know were they hold you up as the yardstick for everyone else. Plus I want to blow their minds with what I eat.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I did something different this weekend; reps. I did them under constant tension, which for me is something I haven't done for a couple of years. It does mean that I found big exercises like front squats made me slightly dizzy from lack of oxygen, as you keep those reps coming rather than pausing for a quick breath. I got the weights roughly right so that I wasn't bouncing the weights, and so that I really kept the bar moving quickly, but they still felt light. I'm sure that if I was used to doing higher rep schemes that the weights would have been far too light.

Lower (Saturday)

Warmups

Work sets
Front Squats
60kgx15
80kgx12
80kgx12
80kgx12

Single leg SLDL
32kgx15
42kgx15
42kgx15
42kgx15

Single leg calf
47kgx8
47kgx6
47kgx8

Hmmm, seemed longer and harder than when I actually did it....

Upper (Sunday)

Warmup

Work sets
Bench
60kgx15
80kgx12
85kgx12
85kgx12
85kgx12

DB Rows
32kgx15
42kgx15
42kgx12
42kgx12
42kgx12

Bicep curl
40kgx8
40kgx8

Tricep thingy

This should all help with my chest tweak. It didn't play up benching (as it was light weight baby) and I got a good pump and the muscles feel worked. It will be good just to do higher rep schemes for a few weeks just for fun too.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Looked nice - glad it didn't affect your chest and you got the benefit from it.

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
nice weight on those front sqauts......good stuff for free weight front squats....i struggle getting the technique right, so i do them on a smith machine ( soft) but i cant keep the weight on my shoulders at all. nice dumbell rows too, good weight , good rep range

Glex

Glex

VIP
Nice little change up, and like you said, you guessed really well on what weights you needed.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rocky: Thanks, it was good to not have any problems with the chest. Although the weight was really light at 40kg less than what I did when I felt the twinge.

KR: Thanks bigfella, but those continuous reps made me go lighter than I thought, as I can get similar reps with much heavier doing rest pause.

I hate smith machines!!! The trick to getting the front squat right is to put the bar on your delts, hold your arms out in front of you (I.e. don't hold the bar just keep your arms para to the ground), then squat. Add weight and use as your warmup for normal back squats.

Glex: yeh got it about right, but I did back squats the other night and came up completely wrong. I had been working on my 10-12 rep max minus about 20%. I managed sets of 6 for the back squat instead of 12.....

I can't be arsed writing up the other session from this week. But I did have a health check at work that was interesting.

BP= 130/80
This was surprisingly high as my last measure was more like 105/80, and when I was in hospital it was 95/80. So I may be a bit too stressed at the moment or I may need to get some proper cardio.

Sit and Reach= 35cm (past toes)
This was classified as SUPERIOR! I could have gotten more if I was allowed to do it more than once.

Waist= 86cm
This was shit. That's just under 34". It was just after lunch (I.e. big meal) so that may have effected it, but I have obviously put on some winter padding, probably about 1-1.5% BF. Surprising since I don't look to have changed that much.

Height= 182cm
Knew that already.

Weight= 86.7kg
This is clothed, sans shoes, after lunch. I was something like 84.8kg in the morning. I should weigh in the evening to find out how much I vary throughout the day.

BMI= 26
Not exact, but I'm happy to be "overweight". The girl doing the tests said that in 'muscular' men BMI is kinda useless and she goes more by waist measurement. Yes she was hitting on me.

Stress level= concern
Yes I seem to be a bit stressed at the moment. Nothing I can't handle but it may be why I'm having a few issues recovering and sleeping well. Been feeling tired during the week.

I like the idea of having health checks at work, as long as someone tells everyone that I won! I did have the second smallest waist line of the men (the other doesn't count as he is built like a match stick), and the best flexibility. I just want them to include blood work and the like. That way they can really keep an eye on their staff's health and treat them better.

onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Choice work indeed, Tim; your front squats and rows were the standouts to me.

Nice call on the health check as well. I should probably have that done more often:duh:

Glex

Glex

VIP
The blood pressure is a little strange. I don't know about you, but mine hardly changes with cardio. I'd bet it's the stress.

Turkish1530

Turkish1530

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ooohhh yeahhh the gurl doing the tests definalty wanted a piece of the pie

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well the health check seemed pretty positive bar the stress and the effects it seems to have had on your BP. Hope you manage to get some relaxin time in away from things.