• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Branch Warren 2nd place

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
i thought branch looked great. I still think he needs more size in his arms. he needs more back bc his legs are so huge when he hits a back shot it makes his back look smaller than it is, but aside from that im not disappointed he was 2nd at all. But i guess those are all reasons he should not of had 2nd place. Im disappointed kai didnt get 3rd over dexter if any thing.
Branch placing second completely subverts judges' concerns for proportion and balance and basically takes us back to a time when mass and conditioning are weighed far too much in comparison to those other attributes. By "back to a time" I really mean "back to two years ago". It would seem that last year, when the contest was actually well judged, was a one time occurrence. Shame on me for thinking the IFBB was capable of change or, rather, positive change.

Disclaimer: None of this refers to Jay's win this year, which was deserved.

Konan

Konan

Pretty immature comments. I think some people should consider that you are judging the situation based on pictures and crappy quality video. Referees were there live and with broad experience about the sport and judging. Give Branch the credit that he deserve.

ddragaon

ddragaon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pretty immature comments. I think some people should consider that you are judging the situation based on pictures and crappy quality video. Referees were there live and with broad experience about the sport and judging. Give Branch the credit that he deserve.

agreed:thumbsup2:

Z

ZuFFuLuZ

I don't know how many of you have actually seen the show, it can't be too many I guess. You can't judge them just by looking at single pictures, you have to see them standing side by side to really see the differences. I also have the impression that most of you guys are judging more by "politics" and "hype" and their "Team XYZ" rather than giving everybody a fair chance. Think about that!

I watched the prejudging and the finals and I had them like this:
1.) Jay
2.) Dexter
3.) Branch
4.) Phil
5.) Kai
6.) Victor
7.) Ronny

I had Branch a close third, but second is totally fine with me and I believe the judges finally did NOT went for politics, which is the biggest improvement of this Olympia compared to the last years/decades.

Cookie monster

Cookie monster

I don't know how many of you have actually seen the show, it can't be too many I guess. You can't judge them just by looking at single pictures, you have to see them standing side by side to really see the differences. I also have the impression that most of you guys are judging more by "politics" and "hype" and their "Team XYZ" rather than giving everybody a fair chance. Think about that!

I watched the prejudging and the finals and I had them like this:
1.) Jay
2.) Dexter
3.) Branch
4.) Phil
5.) Kai
6.) Victor
7.) Ronny

I had Branch a close third, but second is totally fine with me and I believe the judges finally did NOT went for politics, which is the biggest improvement of this Olympia compared to the last years/decades.

x2! :thumbsup2:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Branch placing second completely subverts judges' concerns for proportion and balance and basically takes us back to a time when mass and conditioning are weighed far too much in comparison to those other attributes. By "back to a time" I really mean "back to two years ago". It would seem that last year, when the contest was actually well judged, was a one time occurrence. Shame on me for thinking the IFBB was capable of change or, rather, positive change.

Disclaimer: None of this refers to Jay's win this year, which was deserved.

Thats very true, and an even better point. I was always a fan of the huge physiques, coleman, and soon to be greene. I would like branch if he posed slightly differently and brought up his weak points. I wanst even a fan of wheeler until 99 when people thought he looked to big so thats just my preference coming through i guess.

Good post line

C

crossfirebmf

Branch deserved 2nd. I had him as fourth or fifth bc of politics. His arms are huge guys. Idk why yall keep saying they're small. They're over 20''. He brought up his back a lot this year which helped a lot. He had the best conditioning on stage. He's full of muscle and his upper body is now more proportionate to his legs. How happy was Jay when the judges called Dex as 3rd? Super happy bc Branch deservingly beat him and the fact that he knew he was going to win lol, but he kept congradulating Branch. This was the best thing the judges have done in a long time. They're making a point that conditioning is now going to play a huge factor like it used too. It needs to be this way.

Dex came in as usual. It's almost like he never really tries that hard to come in super shredded bc it looks more genetic. Also, its was as though he thought was going to waltz in there and win. He has a bad attitude, no calves, and super syntholed arms. He walked off the stage ASAP to go pout.

Kai wasn't super shredded either. His posing is stupid and he hits the mandatory poses dumb. He could've been way better with more condition and better posing.

Phil "offness" became more evident as the competition progressed. He just got worse. Should've been way better. I expected his legs to be bigger. His back was much improved.

Victor was way off, but then again I thought he was back in '07 too. He never comes in super ripped. His legs looked better, but I didn't like them before the injury. He has calf implants and his quads have an odd shape with little sweep. I expected him to be better as far as conditioning bc I thought he wanted it more than ever.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
Branch impressed me big time with his condition. When he came out every one was like - WOW! the guy was impressive !

is it a reason to get 2nd. probably not, cause despite coming in incredible condition he is not better bodybuilder than Phil, Kai and Dex for sure.

did Phil's failed pre-judging affect his placing - yes

Kai's too? - yes

Branch just got the gift of his life.

Konan

Konan

Even you don't call yourself an expert you still start mouthing off about a decision made by IFBB judges, professional judges who were there in live situation. They are professionals, and still you think you know better than they do just by looking at crappy pictures with half-ready poses and a crappy webcast video. Gotcha!

Edit:
I don't want to start a big brawl about this issue, but it just pisses me off that not for a one second people haven't considered the circumstances and multiple factors that effect on the decision. Personally I liked Dexter's physique whole lot more when looking at the pictures alone. But I know that the judges are able to sort the small details that solve who will place better than another athlete.

I apologise for my first remark. It's out of line.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Konan said:
Edit:
I don't want to start a big brawl about this issue, but it just pisses me off that not for a one second people haven't considered the circumstances and multiple factors that effect on the decision.
Actually, I have. And it pisses me off when new posters make dumb, baseless assumptions about things I write because they haven't considered the circumstances in which I consider circumstances that factor into a decision.
Personally I liked Dexter's physique whole lot more when looking at the pictures alone. But I know that the judges are able to sort the small details that solve who will place better than another athlete.
Sure, being there in person is different than looking at photographs, the same way photographs show an extended look of the bodybuilders condition, shape and mass from all areas, allowing for further, more critically minded examinations. If you ask me, both should be incorporated in actual judging.
Konan said:
It's fine. I don't take things personally and 90% of all my posts are actually jokes if you're willing to look hard enough for the punchlines.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
lol@ branch brigade. his rear lat spread is a throwback to the arnold era.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Even you don't call yourself an expert you still start mouthing off about a decision made by IFBB judges, professional judges who were there in live situation. They are professionals, and still you think you know better than they do just by looking at crappy pictures with half-ready poses and a crappy webcast video. Gotcha!

Edit:
I don't want to start a big brawl about this issue, but it just pisses me off that not for a one second people haven't considered the circumstances and multiple factors that effect on the decision. Personally I liked Dexter's physique whole lot more when looking at the pictures alone. But I know that the judges are able to sort the small details that solve who will place better than another athlete.

The same judges who had Jay Cutler in first place in the 07 Olympia? (even first after pre-judging when he was WAY off!)...

Branch looked great, best he's ever looked... but structurally shouldn't have placed ahead of Dex. Looking at the score cards, i think overall this was a pretty well judged Olympia (specifically, I liked how Phil Heath was placed 5th and not even close to 4th on Friday's round, while on Saturday he was much better, and the judges noticed (they had him in 3rd, 1 point behind Branch in the Saturday rounds).

Branch has flaws, where there's not much he can do a whole lot about (specifically, from the back). Dex (besides calves) doesn't have those flaws, and his symmetry and proportions are excellent, he didn't have the "wow" factor look that Branch had, unfortunately.

I probably would have had him 3rd, 4th, or 5th... no way second.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I can't stand Dex, and I'm kinda glad he lost 2nd place. But, Branch was not better than 3rd, 4th, or 5th like Ironslave just stated.

Placing Branch 2nd is a huge slap in the face for bodybuilding.

Iceman1981

Iceman1981

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Is Branch the worst runner up in history?