• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

knight_rider's first log

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Interesting candence control brosuf. I will be interested to see how ur size goes probably should send me photos :wink1:

I've dropped down to 107 kg now. So when I'm sub 100 I'll give you a pic.

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My new routine, Mike Mentzer style
Workout one

Incline fly. 6-10 reps
Pre exhausted with
Incline close grip smith press. 1-3 reps

Straight arm pulldowns. 6-10 reps
Pre exhausted with
Palms up pulldowns. 6-10 reps

Bent over dumbbell row. 6-10 reps

Rest of 3 to 7 days (I work 4 on 4 off days/ nights)

Workout two

Leg extension. 12-20 reps
Pre-exhausted with
Leg press. 12-20 reps

Lying ham curl. 12-20 reps
Standing calf raise. 12-20 reps
Abs. 12-20 reps

Rest 3-7 days

Workout three

Side laterals 6-10 reps
Bent over rear laterals. 6-10 reps
Palms up pulldowns. 6-10 reps

Pushdowns. 6-10 reps
Pre-exhausted with
Dips. 3-5 reps

Repeat workout two sans ham curl

Rest 3-7 days repeat cycle.

Most exercises have a four second positive, two second hold, and four second negative. Some exercises such as laterals have a looser form.

One set per exercise with rest pause and negatives added to extend set to absolute failure

Will be resuming dead lifts eventually after back injury is fully healed.

Volume and frequency might seem low but I have always wanted to try the Mentzer method in a fundamentalist approach. I have had my best results when I lowered volume, hoping another step down in volume will yield a new stage of growth.

Currently at 110kgs, 183 cm, 12-15% body fat (guessing)

Any thoughts? Questions?

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Only question is, where are your bicep curls? How can someone go from 30 sets of biceps when he is 18 to no sets ;p lol

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Only question is, where are your bicep curls? How can someone go from 30 sets of biceps when he is 18 to no sets ;p lol

They get worked with the chin ups on arm day. It's a better exercise than curls as it hits the muscle from the origin and insertion. I keep growing the less I do. I think it's great how low volume works, just gotta keep intensity high and those slow reps punish the muscle, it's really exhausting. I was meant to do 6-8 sec negatives with DC Training but I never realized, I would have got more out of it if I did.

Arms are 18 inches, biggest was 19 when I was 120 and puffy as. So not too bad, I'll keep you posted on how the guns progress sans bicep curl.

FEVER

FEVER

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
nice statement. keep believing that you're doing the right things!
I don't think people realize how much stimulus they can get out of one set per excersize if they use EVERY SINGLE INCH on every single rep to get absolut maximum focus on stimulating those fibres. (both physically and neurotically)

Last edited:
Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
interesting workout.. more like interesting rest days,.. 3 days should be max, but i guess since this is Mentzers workout style.. im not surprised.

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
nice statement. keep believing that you're doing the right things!
I don't think people realize how much stimulus they can get out of one set per excersize if they use EVERY SINGLE INCH on every single rep to get absolut maximum focus on stimulating those fibres. (both physically and neurotically)

especially when im doing 4 sec positive, 2 sec hold, 4 sec negative. It really makes a huge difference, you get no leverage or body english to cheat weights, its all on the muscle and its gruelling! Like any program its progression. if your not getting stronger your not getting bigger. So thats my yardstick for whether it works or not!

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
interesting workout.. more like interesting rest days,.. 3 days should be max, but i guess since this is Mentzers workout style.. im not surprised.

i work in the mines bro, 4 on 4 off, so i can't get to the gym that much anyways. i dont like training after 12 hours a mile under the earth in 45 degree heat and hummidity lol!

So i go twice on days off from work and sometimes only once, it might seem like few and far between, but your body doesnt loose muscle or strength quickly like it looses fitness. Building muscle is metabolically expensive and your body does not give it up easily. People are paranoid about losing muscle if they don't get to the gym often enough but i'm quietly confident i'll make progress, stay tuned thanks for posting!

cereal

cereal

Nice to see another HITter here!

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
24/10/11 Monday

Workout Two - Legs, Calves, Abs

Leg Ext 10# / 10 Reps (aiming for 12-20)
Pre-exhausted with
Leg Press 200 kg / 13 reps (improved by on rep)

Ham Curl 10# / 12 reps (not happy with the form going to drop to 8*, i like to pop the pad on my ass)

Standing Calf 7# / 12 reps (light but beautiful form)

Decline sit ups BW / 15 reps

Sorry about the pin loaded machines, they have numbers not kg's or pounds, i'm assuming each pin setting is a 10 kg weight but i cant be sure.

All reps performed with a 4/2/4/1 cadence, 4 pos, 2 hold, 4 neg and 1-2 in the bottom position, hence why my weight apear unimpressive but my pumps legendary!

Really loving this pre-exhaust technique and the slow reps, i feel uber fatigued despite lower volumes. Been awhile since i've pushed in the gym hopefully kick of a new round of gains.

Weight is currently 109 Kks down from 120 kgs about 2 years ago, its probably the 12 hour shifts underground in the mine, only get 3 meals in on work days and usually shakes, lots of tuna and chicken for dinner or eggs and bacon.

Listeining to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3C1p-i2xbk

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
good improvements, hows muscle soreness next few days after?

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Uber sore straight after and the blood activity remains for days. My triceps are still pumped from arm day. Although I had a chest workout to jump them in the meantime. The pre-exhaust works amazingly well for making the target muscle blow up. My ass usually blows up on legs, but it's all quads now!

FEVER

FEVER

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
used to have the same problem with my ass taking all the work. It really helped me quitting squats and doing leg extensions before presses and leg curls before deads.

keep up the good work..

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
27/10/2011 Thursday

Workout Three - Side and rear delts, Biceps and Triceps

DB Raises 15 kg / 8 reps, 2 Negatives
Bent over Db raises 10 kg / 6 reps, 2 Rest pause reps
Palms up pulldowns 80 kg / 9 reps, 3 Rest pause reps

Pressdowns 60 kg / 6 reps
pre-exhausted with
Dips BW / 2 reps, 2 Negatives

Did not really make any improvements from the last time i did this workout but i'm still dealing with the 4/2/4 cadence. I suspect i was far more disciplined with my slow reps this session than the first time and hence made no noticable improvements. My targetted bodyparts are nice and swole though.

Biceps are not getting that good a stimulus to be honest due to my right forearm giving out. I finished the set when my grip failed then took a few breaths and reset to pop out a rest pause set keeping the controlled slow reps. I'll persist for now and hopefully my grip will improve, i've been lazy with straps for many years so i guess this is the price i pay.

The raise movements also feel awkward having to use stricter form. Mike Mentzers book i'm refering to describes a looser form for laterals and for rear delts it seem strict form as usual, but i find it so awkward a movement, its something i have not done in year and they are getting nice and swole, but i just feel awkward doing them!

I'll keep working out the kinks and should see progress soon. Terrible nights sleep last night had to walk in and out of town because car was getting serviced so i had boiling hot calves all night keeping me up!

Peace bitches.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
holy **** @ triceps annihilation. good job.

cereal

cereal

27/10/2011 Thursday

Workout Three - Side and rear delts, Biceps and Triceps

DB Raises 15 kg / 8 reps, 2 Negatives
Bent over Db raises 10 kg / 6 reps, 2 Rest pause reps
Palms up pulldowns 80 kg / 9 reps, 3 Rest pause reps

Pressdowns 60 kg / 6 reps
pre-exhausted with
Dips BW / 2 reps, 2 Negatives

Did not really make any improvements from the last time i did this workout but i'm still dealing with the 4/2/4 cadence. I suspect i was far more disciplined with my slow reps this session than the first time and hence made no noticable improvements. My targetted bodyparts are nice and swole though.

Biceps are not getting that good a stimulus to be honest due to my right forearm giving out. I finished the set when my grip failed then took a few breaths and reset to pop out a rest pause set keeping the controlled slow reps. I'll persist for now and hopefully my grip will improve, i've been lazy with straps for many years so i guess this is the price i pay.

The raise movements also feel awkward having to use stricter form. Mike Mentzers book i'm refering to describes a looser form for laterals and for rear delts it seem strict form as usual, but i find it so awkward a movement, its something i have not done in year and they are getting nice and swole, but i just feel awkward doing them!

I'll keep working out the kinks and should see progress soon. Terrible nights sleep last night had to walk in and out of town because car was getting serviced so i had boiling hot calves all night keeping me up!

Peace bitches.

"Mike Mentzers book i'm refering to describes a looser form for laterals
and for rear delts
"

What do you mean by this? Bent arms? Elbow doesn't go higher than shoulder?

Those raises are strong! I can't handle that kinda weight with that kinda cadence! But I'm not far from those... anyway, about those pulldowns for bi's, I'm gonna try them next. I got an idea to do them yesterday when I was hanging loose from bar and tried some of thatexercise. It seems to have a potential!
Keep it going!

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Mentzer said for side laterals maintain a slight bend at the elbow and use a bit of momentum to get the weight going, but still pause at the top and lower under control.

Rear delt raises don't saying anything about using momentum. Controlled reps as usual, but I think it may be an oversight. It's much the same as laterals where it's hard to get in the contracted position. I'll try my best to keep it strict and see if I improve. New exercise for me so I'm pretty uncoordinated at it.

Pulldowns for bi's are good but make sure you get into that fully contracted position each rep to get the most out of it. My grip gave out first though but it should get better over time. Could try a pre- exhaust system to, doing a curl first then finish with pulldowns.

cereal

cereal

"Mentzer said for side laterals maintain a slight bend at the elbow and use a bit of momentum to get the weight going, but still pause at the top and lower under control."
:D Always straight hands and no momentum :D! No wonder my strength development has been so slow in this exercise. But I gues it aint so bad cause my delts are growing.

"Pulldowns for bi's are good but make sure you get into that fully contracted position each rep to get the most out of it. My grip gave out first though but it should get better over time. Could try a pre- exhaust system to, doing a curl first then finish with pulldowns. "

Yes, full contraction is must! I use straps so no need to worry for grip.

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
3/11/11 Legs, calves, abs

Had a crap session had to walk home from mechanics again then do legs after.

I put the seat right back on leg press and sured up my rep tempo which cost me some reps, devistated.

Leg ext 10 plates / 10 reps (same as last leg session, but had uber good form)
Pre exhausted with
Leg Press 200 kg / 9 reps (WTF i did put the seat right back as opposed to right foward extending the range somewhat but still 4 reps down, losing faith)

Standing calf 7 plates / 11 reps, 3 Rest pause (down one but had better cadence)
Decline sit up BW / 12 reps, 3 reps leg raise to finish (down three reps but again i think im counting slower)

As you all know i've been doing a 4 sec pos, 2 sec hold, 4 sec neg cadence. It think the inconsistency in my counting is causing my lower reps this week. I was counting 1,2,3,4 etc but now im doing 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi etc, so my time under tension was extended this week from the last time i did legs.

Seat on leg press put right back too to give more range, but still uber pissed about only 9 reps, hopefully i wont have to do any big walks before next leg session.

Feeling pretty dissapointed in session and disillusioned at Mentzer's claims, i'll stick it out though and make sure i get my nutrtion and sleep patterns into order which they haven't been for some time. The fact i my training has been unproductive for about two years regardless of routine, poor diet and continuous shift roster in mines not helping!

FEVER

FEVER

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
keep believing bro and it will pay off!