• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Pete's Contest Prep- OCB Midatlantic Classic

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
wow can see the huge improvement since day 1. great job pete!

your quads are looking nuts!

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
Those are some serious quads for sure. Good luck with your prep.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
@ MVS: Thanks man, I know what you mean! Honestly, the last few weeks, I was knew I was making pretty good steady improvements, but this week, I really noticed a lot more significant changes. It really has pushed my motivation that much further! Thanks for commenting and keeping up with me bro!

@Natzo: Thank you very much! I like to look at Day 1 pics sometimes too just to see the overall changes. I do that only if I'm doubting myself. It gives me that extra reassurance im on the right track. Thank you for the quad compliment! I know I dont have huge legs or anything, but I wish the rest of my body was as strong as my quads! I'm definitely a tad bottom heavy, especially in comparison to chest and back thickness.

@Storm: Thank you very much! Its honestly been such a huge surprise to me during this prep that I can do so much cardio and still keep the size. I'm doing 4 low intensity sessions, and 2 HIIT sessions. And on top of that, I live in the city, and walk for probably 45 minutes quickly every day! I thought my legs would look like twigs by the end!

I really and truly appreciate all the positive energy and compliments guys. There are times in the day where a bodybuilder can get down on himself, as we are our worst enemies, but these comments help me rise to the occassion and work my damn hardest. Thanks again! 46 more days!

Cork

Cork

Well just do some comparison pics. Some guys flex the hammy and some guys don't. See what your leg looks bigger doing and go with that.

I personally will flex the calf and then "spread the floor" with my feet. It's the same principle as spreading the floor while squatting, but instead of spreading the ground from side to side, you spread it front to back. This will make your hamstring tense up and hopefully your calf will keep tense as well.

Also with the side tri, the shoulder that is in the back, you can sort of force it forward almost like you would in a side chest, that'll make your one pec pop out.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great advice Cork, much appreciated.

I know exactly what you mean by spreading the floor. I will actually try to incorporate that when I try to pop my hamstring out.

Good advice with the side tri, i will try to do this next photo shoot!

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
6 weeks to go!

14 weeks down, 6 to go!!!
First off, just wanted to tell the guys in charge of the website layout, that it looks fantastic. Great job! Much appreciated :)

This week went well. I lost a total of 1.2 pounds, so Layne cut a little bit of fat and carbs from my diet. It's a very very moderate cut every time he does it. I'm still surprised that such a small reduction in calories from carbs and fat can make such a dramatic difference in metabolism. The cut in food will be a little disappointing at first, but I'm sure I will adjust very quickly, and my body will respond even quicker! I feel like a fat burning furnace right now! The last time Layne cut any of my macros was 5 weeks ago! I was so thankful to have had my metabolism hold out as long as it did. I hope I only need 1 or 2 more macro cuts before the show. Who knows what will happen, all I really care about is getting the end result of shredded.

One of my goals this prep was to look in good shape by week 6, and to be in very close if not the same condition 4.5-4.0 weeks out. This would give me an additional 4 weeks or so to get even drier then I did last time I hit the stage. I feel like last time I dieted I could have lost another 5-10 pounds, so this additional time would help me do this for sure. I think I'm pretty on point to hit that goal. I'm weighing about 200 pounds on the dot right now.

Here's a little weight breakdown of what my weight has been like the last year or two.

April 08' = 205 (when I started dieting for my first shows in the summer of 08')
Contest weight ( June, and August of 08')= 185
April 09'=215 (I had a good offseason, and put on some nice quality size) However, this is the month I had my shoulder surgery for my rotator cuff. Injury from playing basketball :(
August 09'= 207 Lost a fair amount of weight from not being able to work my right side of my upper body. Still hit legs twice a week, and actually worked the left side of my upper body!
April 10'= 231 I had a great offseason after my shoulder was feeling healed after PT. It wasn't 100% until around april or so, but I was still able to train hard for about 8 months. For 12 weeks of that offseason I hired Layne for a workout and diet program. It worked great. One thing I realized was I wasnt taking in near enough carbs before him. As soon as I started his diet plan, my muscles inflated. They were never completed filled with glycogen with the moderate amount of carbs I was eating prior to working with him. I gained about 12 pounds while working with him!

After 14 weeks of dieting my weight is at 200 pounds. I think Ive put on a solid 15 pounds of raw muscle since last competing. I know the difference in body weight was 25 pounds, but I definitely got a little less lean then last time I started my diet, and I was also holding more water because my muscles were just much more pumped with glycogen. That accounts for the extra 10 pounds or so.
Assuming I'm probably going to lose a few pounds of muscle over the prep, and I will come in tighter then I did before I'm guessing I'll hit the stage somewhere near 190 pounds. Thats only 5 pounds heavier then last time I was on stage, but you have to remember I'll probably be about 8 pounds tighter!!! That's the overall difference of roughly 13 pounds!
I think for a natural bber, with average genetics, and overcoming a surgery and long PT program, then gaining the muscle back, thats pretty good progress!

So to wrap it up, my physique goals for my shows this summer are as follows...
Hold about 8 less pounds of fat on stage, and hold onto the extra 10-12 pounds of muscle I gained. This will result in a bigger more conditioned package. What more can I ask for??

My girlfriend took pics of me an hour or so ago. I think they turned out pretty good! I can definitely see myself getting harder. I still need to work on my side tricep pose. I'm thinking about trying the dorian style tricep pose.
Thanks for everyone following along and for the positive feedback! Constructive criticism is always welcome as well, as it makes me better!

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
..I would really like to show you guys the progress pics, but unfortunately they keep failing to upload onto the website :(
It worked fine all the other weeks before they made changes to the site, so maybe it has something to do with the recent update in the site? Anyone know who I should talk to about maintenance issues regarding the site? Thanks!

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Attached is a picture from July 23rd.
I'm toying around with paint to scale my pictures down so I can upload them on here. The new layout doesnt allow for the size of pictures I used to upload.

These pictures were taken when I was 5 weeks out.

Attachments

• FDBbi.JPG
    FDBbi.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 108
PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm going to keep attaching pics from 5 weeks out!

Attachments

• fLat.JPG
    fLat.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 65
  • Tri.JPG
    Tri.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 61
PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
5 weeks out

Side Chest, Side Triceps

Attachments

• Chest.JPG
    Chest.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 110
  • STricep.JPG
    STricep.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 59

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
5 weeks out

Back Double Bicep, Back Lat Spread

Attachments

• BDbbi.JPG
    BDbbi.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Blat.JPG
    Blat.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 205
PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
5 weeks out

Crab Most muscular, Abdominal Thigh

Attachments

• MMCrab.JPG
    MMCrab.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Abthigh.JPG
    Abthigh.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 522
PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
5 weeks out

Last one: Hands on Hip Most Muscular

Attachments

• MM.JPG
    MM.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 80
PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
FINALLY!! I posted some pictures! lol

A little update, When I was 6 weeks out, Layne made an adjustment to my diet to ramp up the fat loss. It worked well, and I lost weight for that week, but when I checked in with him again Tuesday (4.5 weeks out, I check with him twice a week) my weight slowed down again, so he made more of a significant change in cardio and drops in carbs and fats.

It's fine by me! I really feel like the changes he's been making to my diet and cardio have been spot on. He doesnt take too much away, and doesnt take away too little. My strength has been steadily holding on, and my mood and energy levels only dip down a bit here and there. Sometimes I feel especially tired, but its not often.
I feel like with this new change in diet and cardio, I probably won't need another adjustment for another 2 weeks or so.
My theory is that when you first start to lose fat at a higher body fat %, it doesn't take a lot of effort or changes in your diet to do so. When I first started dieting, I dropped a lot of water and fat right away. I remember my first adjustment in my diet was like 5 weeks into it, and it was only a reduction of like 10 grams of carbs! This kept up for a while, and from what I remember (If I was feeling very proactive I could look through all my e-mails) I had about 3 adjustments in my diet and cardio in the span of 11-12 weeks. I was getting an adjustment every 3-4 weeks! It was awesome.
Now that I'm getting into the lower levels of bodyfat, my body is rebelling more fat loss! The body doesnt want to get extremely lean, as it is not good for thermoregulation, lubrication of joints and ligaments, energy levels, hormone production, immunity, the list goes on.
So now that I'm getting lower in body fat, it will take very consistent drops in carbs, fats, and increased cardio to get there. It won't be fun, but it will be necessary. I'm totally up for the challenge, and am willing to do whatever it takes to be shredded on stage!

One of my original goals was to be in the same shape I was on stage last year around 4 weeks out.
This was just a hypothesis, I didnt have much idea if it would be feasible or not.
Unfortunately, I dont think it's going to happen, as 4 weeks out is only 3 days away :(

I really can't have any regrets up until this point. I don't think striated glutes are feasible at this point, but a good combination of size, shape, taper, and conditioning are. I'm just going to keep plugging away, training my hardest, doing all my cardio, and eating strictly to hit my numbers every day.
I have been doing that the entire time, and its been working well.

I also bought my dream tan the other day. Although the facility doesnt allow it, Im just going to put it on outside the show, and make sure its perfect before I go inside for pumping up and prejudging. To make sure its good I will do the following:
1. Put on a coat the night before
2. Put on a coat the morning after
3. After the athletes meeting, and an hour before time to pump up I will put on another coat.

Three coats should be more then enough to look good on stage.
I'm not supposed to have it with me at the facility because it gets messy, so what I might do is put a little bit in a plastic container and do touch up if absolutely necessary before I go on stage. Sometimes my lower abs or under arms need a little more just from the abrasion of the posing trunks before I hit the stage.

I'm getting excited the show is so close, but im a little anxious with how im going to look. I have to stay confident in my plan and work my hardest every single day!!

Cork

Cork

Well regardless of where you wanted to be, you still have some good conditioning at 5 weeks out. You shouldn't be anxious about it, I'm sure Layne knows how to kick things up multiple notches. What did he do to your diet originally that helped? What kind of cardio are you doing?

Isn't dream tan the cream tan? Everytime I've seen someone put that on they've done it all at once, and heavy. I like the liquid tans mroe for the base tan and dream tan for the luster/bronzing effect.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
the plan sounds good Pete.

Let's do it!!

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
your legs are awesome, freaky hamstring from the side.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
@ cork: you're right man, I have to keep faith in the plan, and my trainer. I will do so. I feel like I can definitely bring in a solid physique to the stage, and an even better one on Sep. 25th! I think you're right. As always, im going to ask Layne what to do, lol. Ive never used the stuff, so I need advice from him. He uses it every time. I hope it works really well. one coat sounds great to me!

@Natzo: I love the energy bro! I'm going to keep bringing it with all I got!!!

@ DialatedMuscle: Thank you! I train my legs hard as hell, with a lot of focus on the muscle doing the work, not momentum or other muscle groups. I need to learn to harness the same intensity and mind muscle connection with my other body parts, then I'll be a pretty good bodybuilder! Thank you for the compliment, and keeping up :)

Off to bed soon, cardio in the morning, and lifting legs in the afternoon!

Also, one reason I'm able to diet is because I have something sort of sweet every night.

1 scoop ON casein protein mixed with a bit of water, cinnamon, and splenda into a custard type form. I then spread 1 tbsp of all natural smuckers peanut butter on top, and another pack of splenda on top. I put it in the freezer to make it like ice cream. Its my last meal of the day. Absolutely delicious.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's always entertaiment reading your logs, man. I know you'll stick to the plan 100% and you'll look better than "ready" onstage.

Don't get anxious about glutes or wathever (LOL), just put all your faith in Layne and obbey his rules, you'll get a great phisique to show in 4 weeks time!

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
MVS: Its entertaining because im overly critical and overly dramatic? Lol, I totally am! haha.

For my Business Degree I'm required to take 1 fine arts class, so I'm taking theater this term. My professor taught us that nervous energy isn't necessarily a good thing. It's a strong energy, but its not GOOD energy.
Looking introspectively, I have to agree with him. I've always done pretty well for events, tests, etc while being anxious and nervous for them.
but I do my BEST when I just work as hard as I can, while keeping a positive calm mindset.
This is where my head is from now on.
Do what I have been doing, which is keeping a strict diet and hitting all my macro numbers. Listen to Layne. Work my ass off (figuratively, and literally) lifting and doing cardio.
And last but not least, relax, don't do anything irrational, and stay positive!

Thanks for keeping along MVS, your comments always keep me that much more positive about myself and that really goes a long way with my personality!

Just got back from a cardio session this morning (H.I.I.T).

Here's what my morning routine looks like now..
Normal day:
Wake up around 7:30
Take: Xtend, 1 scoop scivation whey, Green tea extract (primaforce), Sesamin Capsule, Multivitamin, 1 scoop Beta alanine, and I'll usually take my thermogenic, but this is my week off of it. (I do 8 weeks on, 1 week off for fat burners)

Cardio: 8:00 AMat the gym Sharp! my school's gym is a five minute walk from my house, which is such a blessing. Low intensity cardio for 45 minutes, usually on the elliptical burning around 475 calories. I'm also sipping on XTEND while doing cardio.

Work: 9:00 AM. My work is about a 7 minute walk from the gym also AWESOME! I drink 1 scoop of whey, and eat 1 packet of weight control oatmeal, with 1 oz blue berries on the way to work. I probably look a little strange walking to work eating oatmeal out of tupowear, but I dont care. It's DELICIOUS!!

Class: 12:00 PM: I leave work around 11:45, and head to class. On the way to class I'll have my second meal which almost always consists of two turkey sandwiches on weight watchers whole wheat bread with hot sauce on them, and a serving of low fat string cheese. It hits the spot every time.

That's what my mornings consist of right now.

I'm still getting 8 hours sleep while waking up to do cardio. It's so great having the gym only be a 5 minute walk from my house. I know I could easily save just as much if not more time just running outside or something, but I HATE running, and its humid and hot in Philadelphia, even in the morning. The gym in air conditioned just enough that your an even temperature when you're in there and you're not sweating like crazy.

I'm juggling part time work, college, a serious relationship, and training for this show. But honestly, it's really not that hard because everything is SOO close. I don't have any travel time anywhere. I walk everywhere (which also helps with burning calories :)) which is so great.

If I had to drive to work in traffic for a half hour or so, then drive back to school, drive to the gym etc. There literally wouldn't be enough hours in the day to do what I'm doing. But since everything is so close, I can maintain balance, and do well with all of them.