• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
New Routine

First a little about the old routine. I have been doing upper/lower four days a week with some swimming, plyos, walking and running on rest days. On recommendations of the physio I included some exercises and rep ranges to take some of the pressure off my shoulder and knee. SO most exercises were being completed for 12-15 reps, even though I don't like this rep range personally for three sets unless noted, and were performed antagonist style.
Lower
ATG Squat 105kg
SLDL 70kg
Lunge 72.5kg
Hammy curl (single leg) 16kg (3x8)
SL St Calf 48kg (5x5)
Upper
Bench 95kg
DB Row 47kg (3x8 on thick handle)
Dip 20kg (3x10)
Chin 20kg (3x6)
L-fly
Lower
Deadlift 150kg (4x5)
Bulgarian squat 45kg (3x8)
Hammy curl 16kg (3x10)
Seat Calf 115kg
Upper
DB OH press 35kg (3x6 this was a mistake and will be higher reps)
Pullup 20kg (3x8)
Incline bench 72.5kg
Incline prone DB row 46kg
Lateral ext 12kg (shoulder exercise)
Bi curl 47.5kg (3x8)
Skull 38kg (3x8)

Thats the starting point. Most exercises are below my bests due to the manner of the routine, including fixing this shoulder and knee. My new routine will be full body three times per week, and sets and reps will probably be similar.

Day 1:
Squat & SLDL
Incline bench & Pullups
BB bicep curl & Skull crushers & wrist roller

Day 2:
Bench & DB row
OH press & Fatman pullups
Lunge & Single leg SLDL
Lat ext & L-flys

Day 3:
Deadlift
Hammy curl & Bulgarian squat
Dip & Chin
DB bicep & DB tri OH ext

Warmups will include cleans, DB snatches, OH squats, cuban presses, prone flys, and bedroom hip extensions (hopefully).

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Should also mention that right at the moment I weigh 83kg at 1.82m (dry morning measures I'm about 1-2kg heavier in the evening). I don't know my BF levels but visually around 12% at a guess.

BF levels are funny as I saw an Ellington Darden article on T-nation where he had all the stats of a guy my size. He was consistently smaller in all girths (except his neck) and had a BF of 9%. Yet I thought he looked pudgy in comparison to myself.

FOOTBALL FAN

FOOTBALL FAN

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
good luck on your new workout Tim you will get used to it in no time

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I believe changing your workout from time to time is always a good thing, new motivation and some new stress to your muscles! Good luck!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I believe changing your workout from time to time is always a good thing, new motivation and some new stress to your muscles! Good luck!
While I have been on upper/lower for a year I have changed many facets of the workout many times. Usually it is as simple as adding an exercise or changing days that program runs.

Project Evo

Project Evo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good luck with this Tim.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is dedicated to MSVF1, because true words should be seen, even when the experienced dismiss them.

Yes thats right, the first workout kicked my ass! I was breathing hard, I was having trouble with reasonable weights, I even found I had a pump so hard in my lower back I had to back off on SLDL until I'd done some Pullups!

Well I started off warming up and felt good. The flexibility and mobility work for my knee has given me just a bit of extra active ROM (this would be an undoing later). Then I started in on squats and SLDL's. I grabbed my normal weights, because the first few sets shouldn't be affected in a new routine. Well I was dead wrong, as I proceeded to get half the reps on my first squat set. Alright now some SLDL's except my lower back is feeling tight now.....

Ok I needed something. This was pathetic. So I ran inside and turned on the ancient CD player to crank some tunes. It chucked a hissy fit (15yr old stereos do that) so I went and begged my girl for her iPod. She doesn't like me getting it all sweaty but it was cold enough that she agreed I wouldn't get it too sweaty. I've got to get one for myself that can get dirt encrusted and stick like old footy socks!

So back out for the second work set and some hard rock got me fired up. THe weight felt light, but the fatigue was noticable and I only got a few more reps. I put this down to the exta depth. I may be lifting the same weight for awhile until I get full ROM back....... This last 5-10% of knee flexion is hard to get! I challenge anyone to squat ass to grass, its so much harder than normal squats.

I moved on to finish SLDL's with pullups. This was a great combination, as the weight on my waist freed up my low back and allowed more work on the hammys (they are paying for it today!!). Then it was time for inclines and arms. By this stage I was breathing hard and yet I thought I could use the same weight and reps. WRONG! I got 3/4 of the reps and had to hold myself steady while the stars left my eyes before I could tackle the bicep antagonist exercise. I ground out the reps before realising I still had forearms and triceps to go.

I felt rubbery. I felt spent. Damn I'm glad I didn't have to cook dinner!

Peanut!!

Peanut!!

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
lol at this post
i dont think ive read another post where anyone has worked harder than this! and good for ur girl to give u her ipod lol
i hope ur next workout is almost the same as this one :) great workout timmmay!

Project Evo

Project Evo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wow Tim, that sounded like exceptionally hard work! Really exciting to read too!! Congrats for digging real deep in sweating it out man, that's some dedication. I had similar experience with my squats this week. I just didn't have the confidence or drive to go too deep. You have my sympathy there mate.

Phew! Nice read Tim and great all round effort. I'm breathless myself!!!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Peanut:I work hard but that is to take out my work frustrations. People could get hurt otherwise.
Evo: My hammys are still sore today!

Workout this arvo is going to be interesting. Stay tuned.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah mate. Tnx 4 your words, it seems that was one of the best workouts from u ever. You have suffered a lot in the gym, you have fought vs pain, you have surpased your limits. That's what this is all about.

Congratz, hope your new workout keeps making you a warrior!

FOOTBALL FAN

FOOTBALL FAN

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
lol your logs great to read mate good to see you getting into it even if it is a bit more of a struggle at first

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well the struggle continued!

It was go time and I was itching to hammer the chest and back. I've started not only a new routine but a few new methods which I probably should use a bit more sparingly. The first is lockout holds; basically hold the weight just short of lockout on the final rep of a set for 5-10sec before racking. Sounds easy, but it is really hard going, especially on rows and chins/pullups. The second is continuous tension; basically during the set not letting the muscle rest by pausing between reps. This is killing me as I normally pause and do each rep "seperately". I don't think this is good for strength but is great for hypertrophy. I might as well be doing hypertrophy with these higher rep schemes I'm doing at the moment.

So after again feeling dissatisfied with bench I did a drop set to punish my stupid chest for not getting stronger. Take that bitch!

Next I had to set up for lunges and single leg SLDL. I shold say that what I call a SLDL is more a romanian deadlift without the knee bending. Basically the knee remains at a small angle throughout the movement (realised this chatting to Peanut yesterday). The less the knee bend the more hammy involvement. THese two exercises had me staggering. I was breathing hard and was only 2/3 of the way through the workout when I had to call it a day.

I collapsed on the couch staring at dinner feeling like throwing up. I hit the shower and felt better. Downed dinner and realised that this full body thing was going to take a bit of getting used to!

FOOTBALL FAN

FOOTBALL FAN

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
good workout again Tim dont worry you will get used to it soon

MexicanMuscle

MexicanMuscle

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
good session tim, hope ur new methods heed very positive results.

Project Evo

Project Evo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Superb work mate. Full body workouts are always a killer, but perservere mate and you'll reap the rewards, I'm sure.

I like the idea of continous tension on the muscle. It's why I prefer to use the Pec Deck as oppossed to DB flys. The cable keeps the pecs under continual tension throughout the movement.

Strong stuff Tim, always a pleasure to read your log mate. Keep the faith and keep up the great work.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Always love coming in here to read your iron story style workouts. New routine looks good (as did the old one but a change is as good as a rest) full body routines are a killer but so productive, as you well know, looks like you'll make sterling improvements on this one. Great start to the new programme.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Football: Yeh hopefully it won't take too long though.

Mexican: I've just got to remember to not overuse the methods, and use them on the right muscles (like my lagging hammy).

Evo: I like and dislike continuous tension. Its good for muscle stimulation, but I'm pretty sure that recruitment isn't as good. Oh and have to say I have seen one good pec deck (the ones with the free moving handles). THe rest are shithouse! Plus I'm not a big fan of chest fly motions anyway.

Rocky: I like writing stories. I've been writing stories since primary school. Hopefully my articles will have a good feel to them too.

Well it was time to finish the week off with a lighter workout. Which basically means that instead of pushing myself I work within myself, and for the first time in my life do more than 5 reps on deadlifts. This last point was an oddity, I just don't see the point of doing a big heavy exercise like deadlifts and going light enough to get 10 reps.

So I grabbed my bar and carried out to the back yard. I had an hour to train before my footy team was going to be broadcast on TV, so I had to finish before bounce down. This is great for keeping my program on track and not slacking between sets. I worked out my "10RM" and loaded the bar with a couple of kilos less, and began to pull. My overhand grip felt good and strong and the reps felt light. It was only after the last rep that I realised just how hard I was now breathing! I warm up jumping rope and yet this was 20 times the breathlessness of that! The next few sets were more of an effort but felt good, not heavy, but not light either, so the sets were right on the money. Next week deadlifts will be heavy again, while having a light day........:weightlifter:

Then it was on to some bulgarian squats and hammy curls. These were good. It was like having the stiffness of the past two sessions massaged out. I was waiting for the happy ending while I set up for some body weight chins and dips. Going BW for chins and dips is really about muscle pumps and exhaustion for me, they just aren't much of a challenge otherwise. The first set of chins I powered through, pulling my chin right past the bar explosively. What a stupid thing to do when the roof of the patio is only just over head! One set done, two lumps on the top of my head.

I kept going and was aiming for three sets and 40-50 reps all up on each exercise. My upper body was pumped, my legs were wobbly, and I grabbed the dumbbells to finish off. I was cutting it fine, the footy was starting. I tried to speed things up by not stopping between bi's and tri's, back and forth. THe entire time I had a line from Ellington Dardens "Nautilus" book, "barbells and dumbbells are inefficient". Then why do they work so well then Ellington? Where did you get your PhD again? On a side note; What pseudo-science leads to that entire book philosphy? I was motivated to go and get an anatomy book after reading 'Nautilus' as there are some very dubious claims and assumptions in that book.

Damn-it I'm babbling away and my team's been playing for 2 minutes!!! Where's my shake?!

NB: The West Coast Eagles defeated North Melbourne in the AFL in a hard fought game.

MexicanMuscle

MexicanMuscle

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
great session man, good to see u are moving up in reps on the deadz. gotta love the football man, i know i never miss my team's games. hey that ellington guy sounds like a total dumbass, i have always found the freeweights to be very helpful.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice work going higher reps. I feel you though - hate going high reps on the biggies, but every now and again will do you good. Nice work buddy.