• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

FOOTBALL FAN

FOOTBALL FAN

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I dont know where Ellington got that theory from lol mad man good work on your deads

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Mexican: I'm still carefull with the deads, just don't want to do my hammy again. But I am starting to get past that as the hammys are picking up a bit. And Ellington is a HIT jedi and chief Nautilus promoter = nutcase.

Rocky: I think the higher reps goes against functional hypertrophy on a big lift. Clearly we have trained enough to know this instinctively!!:2:

Football: My problem with Ellington is that he isn't wrong but he's dogmatic. Basically like Arthur Jones he believes there is only one way to do things, which just isn't the case.

Onto the best and the worst workout in ages:

Sometimes life comes and gets in the way. I usually try and steam-roll life to do my workouts, including heading home from work a little early on occasion. Training at home you have to block out a lot of other stuff too, like "When's dinner? Why aren't you cooking dinner?"

Every now and again one of these things is successfull in interrupting your workout to the point where you don't get a chance to finish. THis was one of those days.

Cold and miserable outside, but not raining right at this moment, so it was a green light to train. I warmed up my knees a little more than usual due to the large amount of nothing I'd done today. The quick dog walk I taken earlier had gotten the stiffness out of the muscles but wanted to make sure my knees were A1.

Then it was into the squats, diving down deep into the rock bottom position and back up again was feeling good and easy. Even coming out of the hole it was all good until thighs were at 90 degrees. I powered through satisfied with the load and ROM, the ROM is almost complete knee bend, and with 110kg for reps I'm quite happy. I completed the worksets including a back off set with my 12RM for 12 reps :Dance: :weightlifter:

Just as I was catching my breath the phone rang. Parents!

And that was the end of a great start to a workout. Too long on the phone and I had cooled down again. The good thing was that I had done the big exercise first and done it well. So at least what I had done was productive. But to miss the hammys, and upper body irks me.

Guess that the next workout I'll just have to wail on my upper body and do my hammys extra hard!

FOOTBALL FAN

FOOTBALL FAN

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
another hectic one at least you nailed those squats somtimes things are just against you though

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I hear ya Football! Better to have done something than nothing at all.

To make up for yesterdays debacle I went to the pool and did some laps and rehab exercises (at this stage rehab is most about getting full joint function, jumping, cutting, etc).

Swimming was fine. The pool is finally open again after they needed to close for a relining of the pool floor. So pool was in good shape again.

But there was one thing missing; Chicks in bikinis doing laps! Normally there are a few there, but not today.

I was also thinking of something radical; gyms have bikes and treadmills and the like that replicate real world activities and then give you read outs of how far you have travelled, how many calories you've burned (just check Evo's insane cardio workouts!!). What about a Swim-mill? Or Lap-mill? You get in and swim on the spot at your local gym, all the while racking up distance, heart rate, calories burned, etc. If you see this come on the market then I want to know who I have to sue for taking my idea!

PUMBA

PUMBA

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Water Proof Perdometer?

Interesting log bro, keep up the work, good luck with the rehab on that leg:xyxthumbs: .

MexicanMuscle

MexicanMuscle

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
well sounds good tim, swimming tires u out pretty damn good, and sorry to hear there were no bikini babes!

Project Evo

Project Evo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well Tim, looks you've got to do some pre workout prep before your next session...like take the phone of the damn hook!! Bummer! It's easy to say ignore it but, sometimes you just can't. Ring, ring...ring, ring...who needs that when when you're trying to squat??

I'm flattered: (just check Evo's insane cardio workouts!!).

Nice work on the swimming and I like the idea of a "Swim-mill" or "Lap-mill". Invent one!!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I ramped things up a bit yesterday. I decided I have spent enough time on the sidelines with this shoulder impingement and am ready to tackle some real weight and lower rep ranges for a change. I think I have improved my form and perfected (well at least practiced enough) retracting my scapular all the time while pressing, so as to stop anterior drift of the shoulder. I can't ignore this issue, but I think I'm safe to tackle some real iron from now on presses.

And to the lions I threw myself with glee!

I immediately bit off more than I could chew. I had worked out what my 5RM would be, but was off by 5kg. I blame this squarely on non-functional hypertrophy from higher reps, basically I could do more reps rather than improving my 1RM. I held it together and lightened off for the second set, cursing the weakness that high reps had given me.

Meanwhile on the opposite side of my body; my back was thriving in the precisely chosen weight for DB rows. For the first time in ages I could actually feel my back working hard to pull the weight.

THe move to lunges and single leg SLDL's had me breathing hard. A quick clean to the shoulders and I was into the lunges finishing with some calf raises. I am starting to actually get somewhere with my hamstrings, especially with the SLDL's. My new outline will pay dividends I believe!

I finished off with a couple of light sets of fatman pullups and shoulder presses. I'm going to have to watch the shoulder presses. My shoulder still clicks on these. I may do these as handstand pushups next week to see if that makes a difference. I'll keep experimenting until I find the "correct" technique.

MMMMMMmmmmm chicken for dinner!

MexicanMuscle

MexicanMuscle

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
well sounds like u had an intense session, glad to hear ur coming back and ready out of that shoulder injury. that hamstring work sounds hardcore man.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My program has taken on a new bent; loadings.

Heavy = <5RM, Medium = 5-8RM, Light = 8-12RM

Day 1
Squats & SLDL: Heavy + drop
Incline & Pullup: Light/medium
Arms: Medium

Day 2
Bench & DBrow: Heavy + drop
Lunge & sl SLDL: Medium/light
OH press & fatpull: light

Day 3
Dead: Heavy
Dip & Chin: Light (BW)
Hammy curl & Bulgarian: medium/light

Basically having a light, medium or heavy day for each muscle complex but not exculsive to one day.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Project Evo

Project Evo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice idea Tim, should be very interesting. Good luck with this.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Still keeping us entertained with your entries Tim - good stuff. New routine looks good, hope it is as productive as you hope it to be.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yesterday I had some fine weather for the first ten minutes of my workout. THen the rain came down, fortuneately with no wind blowing it under the patio. This kept me reasonably dry.

You know the only thing I have to say about this workout was that I seemed to enjoy the training and spent too long at it (and I may have tweaked a glute or hammy). Just a good "relaxing" afternoon lifting before going for a walk to take the dog to the park. This is the way training should be, enjoyable.

Once at the park the rain really pelted down. Now you want hardcore training, take a look at my dog. It had already trained once that day already (does a lot of sprint and agility work chasing tennis balls) but was keen for another hard session. As the rain started to really come down heavy, she was still running hard, unpreturbed by the rain that had her owners sheltering. Rain, hail, or shine she demands her workout, everyday, sometimes twice.

I guess if you enjoy your training, you'll do it even when you don't have the ideal weather, equipment, or time.

CJU

CJU

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
hah i love the way you log...it's like a story. only thing is it's hard to say good work when i dont know what exactly you did!

MexicanMuscle

MexicanMuscle

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
nice story tim, good job on the training man, hope that minor tweak to hamstring isn't much, oh and my respects for ur hardworking dog mate!

FOOTBALL FAN

FOOTBALL FAN

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
its good you enjoyed it so much your right thats how it should be no point in hating what your doing if so its time for a change

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
hah i love the way you log...it's like a story. only thing is it's hard to say good work when i dont know what exactly you did!
I could post exactly what I did, but thats been done to death.

My program is posted back a few pages and the previous cycle work weights give you a rough idea where I'm at. But with shoulder impingement and knee rehab, this is less about posting bigger numbers and more about training. Training isn't a number or sets or exercises, its a state of mind, an activity. I'm thinking of incorporating some car pushes, just for fun. I'm going to make a couple of kegs, just for fun. It's not about having a number associated with the workout anymore for me. PB's are great, but so is being able to do this when I'm 60.

Project Evo

Project Evo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Glad you had an enjoyable session Tim. Respect to the pooch too, hardcore bitch!!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Evo: She makes the most hard core gym junkie look light-weight (baby!!!).
Football: Keeping things enjoyable while kicking your own ass regularly is a hard thing to manage when you aren't a masocist.
CJU & Rocky: Another story coming at you.
Mexican: Well the tweak did turn out to be a little worse than I had hoped.

I swear that the weather is all messed up. You know who I blame? I blame Bill my next door neighbour. See he has a large 4WD (Truck for you yanks) that leaks oil. Now this oil seeps out of his driveway and into the drains when it rains. This then flows down through the soil and into river systems, killing bacteria, fungi and fish as it goes. Once it reaches the sea it congeals and forms a oily layer on plankton and algae affecting the amount of light they can absorb and reducing their growth. With less plankton growing the fish that rely on them for food die, but more importantly the plankton are converting carbon dioxide in the air into sugars. Since the plakton aren't getting as much sun they don't use as much CO2 and hence the world becomes more polluted with greenhouse gases. This has caused global warming leading to an upset in the weather patterns. This is why in the middle of Spring it is raining while I'm trying to work out.

Despite the weather I started warming up, and immediately noticed the tweaked hammy as I hit depth on the squats. No need to chance them, so I just replaced my leg exercises with light step-ups on my newest piece of training equipment, a milk crate.

The pullups really need to be done in antagonist fashion. I found that I just wasn't as rested between sets unless I did something else. No matter, it'll only be for one week. The final drop set was fun, could actually feel all the back muscles working, can't feel them the same when adding weight..... INclines were the opposite, could feel them in every rep hitting the chest (and not the shoulders). This concentration thing is paying off!

Next the arms were about to be toasted. They didn't get much direct work last week so I put an extra plate on and went to town on them. Barbell curls, reverse skull crush's and my thick bar wrist roller, all lined up ready to rock. Trying to hold the last set isometric was impossible. My work here was done.

P.S. What book is the first paragraph an homage to?
Clue 1: Its a novel set in Australia.

Peanut!!

Peanut!!

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tim290280 said:
I swear that the weather is all messed up. You know who I blame? I blame Bill my next door neighbour. See he has a large 4WD (Truck for you yanks) that leaks oil. Now this oil seeps out of his driveway and into the drains when it rains. This then flows down through the soil and into river systems, killing bacteria, fungi and fish as it goes. Once it reaches the sea it congeals and forms a oily layer on plankton and algae affecting the amount of light they can absorb and reducing their growth. With less plankton growing the fish that rely on them for food die, but more importantly the plankton are converting carbon dioxide in the air into sugars. Since the plakton aren't getting as much sun they don't use as much CO2 and hence the world becomes more polluted with greenhouse gases. This has caused global warming leading to an upset in the weather patterns. This is why in the middle of Spring it is raining while I'm trying to work out.

:iorofl: