• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Bible and science contradictory?

frezzy

frezzy

There's no need to break this down into interpretation of select quotes from the bible; the two inherently are incompatible. The bible demands faith. Science abhors "faith." That is- science demands all of its tenets be defended by reason supported with logic. The bible (or any religion, for that matter) demands you accept its tenets without proof as a matter of course.

Science questions everything. Period. Think you've got a good theory? Get it published in a journal, see if it stands up to intense scrutiny. The whole idea behind science is to improve our understanding or reality by constantly questioning everything, old theories included. Without it, there would be no room for improvement.

Religion, in contrast, demands accepting concepts without proof, or any evidence. Don't quite agree with the bible? Not feeling convinced? Too bad. If you don't, an all-powerful, ominpotent, Bronze age sky-god will send you to a place where you'll be tortured forever after you die. This, of course, is further based on the concept that there is life after death......

:dunnodude:

Do you not know that there are/have been plenty of famous scientists who believe in God? Lets take a look at a few..

Isaac Newton once stated, ""The most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion on an intelligent and powerful Being."

Albert Einstein - Although never coming to belief in a personal God, he recognized the impossibility of a non-created universe. "I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details."

Sir Francis Bacon ""It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion; for while the mind of man looketh upon second causes scattered, it may sometimes rest in them, and go no further; but when it beholdeth the chain of them confederate, and linked together, it must needs fly to Providence and Deity."

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Do you not know that there are/have been plenty of famous scientists who believe in God? Lets take a look at a few..

Isaac Newton once stated, ""The most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion on an intelligent and powerful Being."

Albert Einstein - Although never coming to belief in a personal God, he recognized the impossibility of a non-created universe. "I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details."

Sir Francis Bacon ""It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion; for while the mind of man looketh upon second causes scattered, it may sometimes rest in them, and go no further; but when it beholdeth the chain of them confederate, and linked together, it must needs fly to Providence and Deity."

Which is all fine, but did they all believe that it was this old white guy with long white hair and beard, who magically knocked up some chick just with the poof of a magic wand... and all the other nonsense in the magical bible?

Ironslave, How is that so?

-These "blind sheep" willfully put their faith in God, whom they believe exists.

-Those who (must have removed their "blindfold"?) have faith in their own ideology that God does not exist.

right? so they too rely on faith.

Not so at all. It's not an ideology, it's just not believing something with no proof whatsoever.

Can you prove to me that an extract from Robcardu's semen cannot cure all the world's diseases? I don't think it can, but I have no proof that it can't, yet that doesn't make it true.

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
By that logic, I could come out and claim I had invented a magical concoction that cured all the world's illnesses by using an extract from Robcardu's semen.
I about peed myself when I read this.

frezzy

frezzy

Dear Ironslave,

Yes many did believe in the Bible and Jesus Christ.

"There are more sure marks of authenticity in the Bible than in any profane history." -Sir Isaac Newton

"Without my Savior, I am nothing." -George Washington Carver

"The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. Science brings men nearer to God." -Louis Pasteur

"Jesus Christ, I have separated myself from Him:
I have fled from Him, denied Him, crucified Him.
Let me never be separated from Him.
We keep hold of Him only by the ways taught in the Gospel.
Renunciation, total and sweet.
Total submission to Jesus Christ..."
-Blaise Pascal

Glex

Glex

VIP
^^ All these guys were scientists in times and societies when, in spite of their genius, they were not able to think outside the religious box. It was a part of life for them.

Oh, and Pascal was a bit of a nut job. He also said, "Sickness is the natural state of Christians." That's a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy there.

frezzy

frezzy

Glex;424950. said:
...they were not able to think outside the religious box. It was a part of life for them.

Such as when Galileo Galilei spoke up about the solar system, despite going against the catholic church?

seems like he stepped out of the box a bit? :dunnodude:

Glex

Glex

VIP
He was still a devout catholic. Besides, I was talking about your specific examples.

Don't play this game with me.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
The fact that we are using the Bible as a reference in itself makes this funny because there is proof to back up science, whereas the Bible relies on faith and theology.... I guess there are always going to be suckers :keke:

Eggzachary... the bible is a reference tool in that it offers the opinions and notions of those who wrote it nut really should not be used for much else. We actually used it as a reference point for my Ancient History class in senior year for "the place of women in the ancient world", but if we'd brought it out for biology or chemistry class I think my head would have exploded.

I'm coming back to this thread when I've had some sleep. This should be fun.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Isn't the big bang theory essentially the same thing- a random flick of a switch? And if a deity did create the earth and animals, evolution could still take place- just not to the same degree.

That's why I asked if anyone knew the current popular theory for the creation of matter. Last I heard it was something involving dark matter...but I have no idea what that's about. If anyone can elaborate, go ahead.

no the big bang was not 'a random flick of a switch' it was the build up of energy over thousands.. if not millions of years, until 'the big bang', where all the energy resulted in an explosion which caused energy to fuse together and whatnot, which created the first atoms and from there it took billions of years before anything remotely resembling the earth would appear, and an even furthere MILLIONS of years before anythign resembling life appeared.

The bibles creation myth is NOTHING like the big bang theory and evolution

frezzy

frezzy

In response to one of these witty comic boxes, we actually are a Christian nation. We have been since the very beginning as our nation was founded upon the Word of God. We have, as a nation, have become increasingly secular. I believe one can easily delve into the past and find out how many founding fathers were devout Christians, or shall I say "blind sheep."

John Adams and John Hancock:
We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!

On July 12, 1804 at his death, Hamilton said, “I have a tender reliance on the mercy of the Almighty, through the merits of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am a sinner. I look to Him for mercy; pray for me.”

“God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.” -Thomas Jefferson

again..just a few...

Poor, poor "blind sheep." They built this great country on a "mythical" ideology. :wutyousay:

How can a country, still in its infant stage, become such a stable, powerful nation? Because Bush is a war monger and wants oil! We drop nukes and start wars, thats why! America is greedy, thats why!

I'm afraid not. America has thrives due to the fact that the nation was founded upon Christian principels. <and that you can not dispute.

As our nation continues to turn away from God, it will get worse. We will all see. :xyxthumbs:

:hsughr: Back to topic....

Last edited by a moderator:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Originally posted by Ironslave
Which is all fine, but did they all believe that it was this old white guy with long white hair and beard, who magically knocked up some chick just with the poof of a magic wand... and all the other nonsense in the magical bible?

forgive me if i'm wrong but it seems to me your main arguement in this thread is the actual existence of God is it not? it seemed you just conceded this point here and shifted your focus instead to the authenticity of the bible :dunnodude: which i agree with you is a little far fetched if scientific reasoning is your base of judgement.

but what do you have to say in regards to what these renowned scientists in our history have to say about the reality of there being a God? these men certainly don't accept heresay and religious teachings as fact, they came to this conclusion through their years of work in the science field. you did not address it in this post you merely shifted your focus.

alex

alex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
science=something that helps us improve our quality of life
religion=biggest fraud in the history of mankind

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

This is a very old argument, but it doesn't validate the bible. Trying to use the repuatations of scientists to support your claims does NOT follow.

a.k.a,

"If these scientists believed in Christianity, who are you to say science and religion are incompatible?"

is like saying

"If Tiger Woods says Pepsi is the best softdrink, who are you to say Coke is better?"

By the way, Newton believed in alchemy, too. :dunnodude:

Attachments

• n789005170_2853703_7116.jpg
    n789005170_2853703_7116.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 159
  • n789005170_2853702_6569.jpg
    n789005170_2853702_6569.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 158
  • n862040360_971065_9740.jpg
    n862040360_971065_9740.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 156
lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
fact that the nation was founded upon Christian principels. <and that you can not dispute.

Oh boy. That's a biggie. I'll tackle that one when I get home from work, but yes, you can dispute it.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
forgive me if i'm wrong but it seems to me your main arguement in this thread is the actual existence of God is it not? it seemed you just conceded this point here and shifted your focus instead to the authenticity of the bible :dunnodude: which i agree with you is a little far fetched if scientific reasoning is your base of judgement.

The topic of the thread is "bible vs science". My point is that the bible is the biggest comic book of fiction ever told. I'm not saying anything as far as if a god exists, it's absurd to think a magical being exists who created everything out of nothing, and still watches over us all every single day and what not. I'm merely humoring the notion that if some kind of being does exist (which is highly unlikely), it sure as hell isn't what the Christian bible says it is.

but what do you have to say in regards to what these renowned scientists in our history have to say about the reality of there being a God? these men certainly don't accept heresay and religious teachings as fact, they came to this conclusion through their years of work in the science field. you did not address it in this post you merely shifted your focus.

That's a load of BS. They didn't come to accept God as a conclusion based on their work in the science feel. It was a preconceived notion that they already had! They were conditioned by society to believe that a ominous being existed that controlled everything, and they assumed that these laws were his creation.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
In response to one of these witty comic boxes, we actually are a Christian nation. We have been since the very beginning as our nation was founded upon the Word of God. We have, as a nation, have become increasingly secular. I believe one can easily delve into the past and find out how many founding fathers were devout Christians, or shall I say "blind sheep."

John Adams and John Hancock:
We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!

On July 12, 1804 at his death, Hamilton said, “I have a tender reliance on the mercy of the Almighty, through the merits of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am a sinner. I look to Him for mercy; pray for me.”

“God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.” -Thomas Jefferson

again..just a few...

Poor, poor "blind sheep." They built this great country on a "mythical" ideology. :wutyousay:

How can a country, still in its infant stage, become such a stable, powerful nation? Because Bush is a war monger and wants oil! We drop nukes and start wars, thats why! America is greedy, thats why!

I'm afraid not. America has thrives due to the fact that the nation was founded upon Christian principels. <and that you can not dispute.

As our nation continues to turn away from God, it will get worse. We will all see. :xyxthumbs:

wow. just wow.

alex

alex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
bible says god created the world in 6 days,
science proved that dinosaurs lived for millions of years.
chriastians say the back then there was no time so 6 days do not stand for 6 days as we know them(less than a week)
conclusion bible is lame

god is supposed to be the all knowing being that is everywhere so according to what you say he is even in the sewers beetween one turd and another,they say
he is everything so that means he is the also poo coming out of my ass.he knows everything...if he knows everything why did he created a shitty and uneven world?oh i forghot he gave us free will so we are responsible for his creation going downhill,yea right very convinient.

those who spread cristianity back in the medieval and before ages,killed millions of people in the name of the non existent god,why did god let the happen?oh i forgot:duh:free will

religious people will find my post disturbing but i think that religions are the most disturbing.

@duality
bro i have read a post of yours saying some bad things about muslims,basicaly i dont care about muslims but how did you come to the conclusion that christians are better?whatever muslims are doing christians have done it in a much bigger scale,if you read history you will find out that cristianity was forced uppon people.do you think that the crusaders whent from town to town giving flowers and spreading the love of god?
did you know that the figure of satan is based on ancient greek gods(mythology)?the goat legs and horns come from the god "panas" and Neptune's trident(the god of sea)so they took our mythology and turned it into satan...

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Jesus was cloned by an advanced race of human like individuals. He didnt come back alive merely had his brain downloaded onto another body and the simple minded folk of days gone by just mistook the race of human like individuals as gods as they could fly in the sky and do all sorts of fun shit like turn them into pillars of salt with their guns and clone shit etc.

Overtime some doosh developed this into a story about one greater power. That we must not annoy or we wont goto utopia. In other words a well contrived story with its basic premise to stop peoples free will and make them easier to control and to better whatever stupid motivations they themselves have. i.e "lets get them worshipping things in the clouds then they will bring their children to us to celebrate and we can administer the children our penises but noone else is allowed to adminster the penis to their children only we who are blessed."

"A priest from the Diocese of Rockhampton molested a brother and sister in the confessional and behaved indecently with altar boys moments before conducting Mass, a court was told yesterday.

Michael Joseph McArdle, 68, pleaded guilty in the District Court in Brisbane to a total of 62 charges, involving 56 counts of indecent dealing against boys aged under 14 and six counts against girls aged under 14."

Last edited by a moderator:
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP

Oooh boy, you gotta hit your history textbooks a bit harder mate.

Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
"god" if that is his only name, is the god for jewish people.. isnt he? then, that would make the jews his choosen ones.

what becomes of non-jews?