• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Eric's Log - "About Dang Time"

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
MAn u know what reading your log makes me do man, u know when ronnie dead lifts 800 for 2 reps and brian dobson is in the back round after ronnie does his first rep brian just shakes his head says fuck bc he is in disbelief, yea thats what i flet like :49: all i can say is thats some amazing lifting man seriously im extremely impressed, and jelous u fucker u :49:

LEEP IT UP MAN!

God Bless
Ben

onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sorry for the extreme lag here; regardless of such an explanation will follow, but not before replies to your posts:

Glex- Thank you for the vote of confidence:xyxthumbs: I straight up had a good self-chuckle after I drenched my leg though; good times:49:

Rocky- Have to take myself with a grain of salt, that's for dang sure. I have some serious catching up to do in your log though, so I'll likely have a few new PB's to aim for to keep up with ya.

Tim- I'll still have some n00b moments I'm sure, but I will endeavor to remain a cerebral n00b:D

Nature- Yeah, it was one at that. I'm looking forward to getting back on track with my deads, that's for dang sure.

CJU-:49: :49: :49: :49: Resisting lug impulses is hard, but I manage:rolleyes: Now I just need your cuts and I'll be good to go.

Serb- Thank you:) I posted a back shot of myself a few pages back, for what it's worth.

Arcane, Ben, Chesti- Thanks you guys:2: Again, I'm sorry for being a stranger lately, but I feel worse for the inevitable falling behind I've done in supporting you guys in your logs. I'll be back on track right quick though:duh:

onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So I had my fight on the 19th; I have mixed feelings concerning it. Immediately after it, I actually took a vacation with my family; first time we've all been able to go together for about seven years, so it was awesome. The week after we got back, I tested for(and passed) my second-degree black belt in Hapkido. Busy, but still no reason for not contributing for the forum for so long:no: Sorry, everyone:duh:

My training leading up to the contest wasn't anything to really write home about; no real PB's, but I was pleased with my intensity. I'd push myself to finish a normally hour-long workout in half that, mainly to keep my cardio up and progressing. I never went over 315 for any of my chest presses, and I really didn't deadlift much since the beginning of May. Everything else was pretty standard and quick; I felt good going in, but I ended up having a bit of a mental hitch that I didn't even realizewas there.

My opponent was a competitor that had gassed with regularity and liked to avoid the ground. The fight took place in a ring, not a cage, so I had to take that into account as well; not being able to use the walls as a pinning factor when working on the ground is a serious consideration.

So I made the mistake of underestimating the guy. I felt good during my warm-up, and my tank felt full. I didn't gas during the fight either, so I was pleased with that. I didn't have any of the jitters I normally do, so I thought I was pretty good to go.

Then I found out backstage that our fight got moved to the last on the card, so that did toss in a little crappy pressure. Plus I ended up having about an extra forty minutes on my hands after that; not a huge deal, but not having planned for it did make it a little bump.

So we eveantually make our way in. Crowd's responsive, and I was feeling pretty good. Bell rings, and we start to circle. I start cutting corners and working my jab; doing this in a ring is more psychological than anything else, since cutting doesn't mean you're shortening the distance between you and a cage-assisted takedown. He's giving ground, so I start to throw in some solid combinations that are landing well. I'm avoiding his strikes and landing my own, but then I get really stupid.

I didn't attack like I usually do. I knew he wasn't going to shoot, so I should've been more aggressive in that. I should've exploited that; I was too confident though, and that was REALLY dumb. I didn't even see it coming, but I sure as heck saw it on the tape a friend shot. He threw a two-shot combo that dominated me with a right on the rear edge of my jaw. I remember seeing a good burst of purple, and then I was falling.

I honestly don't remember what happened after that, but the tape showed me in a semi controlled fall onto my back. He was sharper ground-wise than I gave him credit for because he immediately descended into my guard for some ground and pound, as if my sorry butt needed much more to finish it off.

Tape showed that I just cinched in my guard and pulled him close; I seriously don't remember doing it. I've never had that happen before, so I'm still kicking myself about it.

Once the pace slowed for a few seconds, that's where my memory comes back into play. I remember feeling extremely pissed at myself for letting that happen, then I started to get irritated with myself for losing control. Once I got that garbage out of the way, I started to get back in the game. He was throwing body shots, but they didn't hurt too much. I let my arms relax a little and started to work for a rollover armbar; then he sat back(think Justin McCully at our last UFN) so I ditched that. I utilized a butterfly guard instead and got to my feet; crowd cheered after the exchange, but I still felt so dumb.

So he rushed in with a big right, but I was able to bob and slide out of the way. I turned and found him in the corner, so I started slotting in shots. They started to land, so he rushed me into a clinch. He tried for a sloppy toss-takedown, but we were too close to the ropes for it to work. I rolled with it though, and found myself with my back in the corner. So I got a little Sakuraba-esque; leaned out between the top two ropes while isolating his right arm, and started to work a standing Kimura. I felt it sinking in, and he wasn't even trying to land shots on me with his left. Then the referee stepped in and broke it up:confused: I thought he'd verbally tapped for a second, but then we were restarted in the center of the ring. There was nothing in the pre-fight ruleset that prohibited working on the ropes like that, so I was unhappy with the call:disgust:

He was breathing out of his mouth pretty hard at this point and the first round was winding down, so I decided to let fly and throw in an overhand right. I could see him throwing with his right as well, so I dropped my shoulder low and left while executing mine. I caught him fairly straight on, and he grazed my right cheek a bit. He rolled right to his back, and I descended into his semi-guard.

I had no idea how much time was left(only that there wasn't much), so instead of dropping for some GnP, I went for an achilles lock instead. I dropped back and locked his left foot into the zone, grapevined his leg, arched my hips and applied the pressure. Referee stoppage due to submission at 4:49 of the first round.

So all in all, that fight left me at 17-1. I still feel like a nobody though on the actual scene though, and the sheer amount of mistakes I made in this contest only reinforced that fact to me. My career doesn't allow for a full immersion in MMA, but I know I still have SO MUCH to learn concerning the sport itself. So I'm happy I walked with the duke, but I'm dissapointed that I was such a prideful dope in the contest itself. I'd really enjoy taking the chance to train with Horn in Salt Lake, but my feet are so cold in regard to that it's ridiculous. Maybe someday...

So even though I've been an inactive jerk for pretty much a month now, that win was for the Mecca:hsughr:

Edit-workouts to come:hsughr:

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Awesome story there man, really enjoyed reading, im glad u won:) so ur back to posting up those unhuman numbers of yours now?:D

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
Hey man, welcome back!

Don't beat yourself up too much for the mistakes; a win's a win. It's good to be a little disappointed to keep you humble and driven, but just learn and move on. Sounds like you did move on with the vacation :hsughr:

And besides...it sounds like you messed his day up pretty damn good.

Nice job on the black belt, too :2:

Lookin' forward to some workouts!

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
AWESOME ERIC! Thanks for the update brother!

I was just wondering with all that strength when u punched the guy did his head do a 360 turn around man or did it just explode when u hit him :49:

God Bless
Ben

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Awesome man, glad you're back. I found your description very interesting- it was cool to read a fighter's thoughts during a match.

I'm sure you're going to make an even greater effort during your training so that you don't make those mistakes again, and you'll be unstoppable then. What are your plans as far as your next fight?

D

Dobbs

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Missed u buddy, congrats on the fight, 17-1 is damn impressive, it was also a great learning experiance for you, you know the little mistakes not to make next time around. Looking forward to your workouts

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Awesome story Eric, are you going to post pics/vids from the fight?

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great read man. You won and came out of it a bit wiser. Take it as a lesson learned and still a victory to boot. Good to see you back in here man.

onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
BB- I'm about as human as they come, but I'll work to keep up with the rest of you:xyxthumbs:

Glex- Thank you:2: I'm gym hungry for sure; today broke a streak of gym abscence that lasted nearly three weeks. The rest was exactly what my body needed, but it was driving me stir crazy.

Serb- Thank you:) When my BF starts to climb I find that I get small deposits right around my lower back, which is frustrating. Following many good examples in really focusing on deads has paid dividends; I have a long way to go, but I know said lift has really helped me to improve.

Ben- Exploded:spy: Just about made me hurl....

If he hadn't have been driving in too, the punch wouldn't have been enough to rock him. He had a strong head, and it was thick enough to give me a bad crimp in my right wrist for about a week.

Arcane- It's all a retrospect observation; while in there, I never remember what happened three seconds before. Amazing how one's head can clear when it's not getting hit:e5dunno:

As far as my next contest, I'm really not sure. I'm not affiliated with any specific gym or team, so my opportunities usually come by word of mouth and keeping my ear to the ground. Schedule permitting, I'd like to fight again in the next five to seven months or so.

Dobbs- I look forward to being humbled by your log:D It's good to be back; thank you for the nod.

Chesti- All I personally have is a VHS(embarassing tech in a camcorder nowadays) copy of the original tape a buddy shot. I'll see if I can convert it somehow though.

Rocky- Brick by brick, I'd hope to become a better competitor; I definitely don't want to have wasted anyone's time. Thank you for the welcome back as well:2:

onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So today broke my gym sabbatical. Whenever I have a gap like this, I do what I cal my "6's and 9's" approach; six sets or so for smaller bodyparts, and nine or so for the larger. Doing so helps me to run through at a brisk pace without overtraining an area. I'll do this for the first week back or so, whereupon I switch back to my personalized heavy and volume approach.

Nothing mind-boggoling at all here, but I feel phenomenal. It only took me about 65 miutes to run through it as well, so that was a plus to boot.

Chest

Decline Barbell Press

135X30 or so(warmup)
225X15
285X12

Incline Barbell Press

185X15
225X15
285X9

Cable Crossovers

100X15
130X15
150X10

Calves

Seated Calf Raises
105X15(warmup)
150X15
175X15
195X13

Biceps

Standing Barbell Curls

85X15(working warmup)
100X15(my wrist started to feel funky, so those got the boot; think I'll lay off the straight bar curls for awhile)

Alternating Standing Dumbbell Curls

45X15
60X10
70X7

Concentration Curls(Went over my set limit with these, but they felt really good)
45X15
50X13
55X9

Triceps

Standing Rope Pushdowns

100X15(warmup)
150X15
150X16(these were killer:ughnoes: )

Standing Dual Kickbacks

40X15
45X15(too light, so an immediate hop here...)
60X12
65X10

Thank you all again for your support; feels good to get my injections of Vitamin MM back on track.

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
in that picture of your back not only are you thicker than most rhinos, your delts are about as thick as most houses :eek4:

and this last session really showed some of your trademark strength :gaygay:

Inclines of yours always impress me, strooooong biceps :skurred: and crazy weight for kickbacks :eek4:

nice calve work too, gotta get them cows mooing :gaygay:

excellent work Eric :xyxthumbs:

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Damn, sick presses and the biceps work look awesome, well everything in that session is awesome, i wanna c more!!!:D

CJU

CJU

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
lots of volume! superb benching as allways and its good to see that you aren't letting you calves lag behind! 70X7 curls..... :skurred: damn strong session

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
All you do is huge weights, huge huge huge !!
you should make a vid of yourself doing the DB con curls
and pose like Arnold did in pumping iron rofl
"its a gooood feeling"

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Forget how strong you are (don't know how!) superb benching and the curls too. Everything was excellent.