• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Line's Top 100 Films of All Time

Are You Interested In Line Including Write Ups For Each Film?

• Total voters
Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
hahaha Beerfest kicked arse... it had GUNTER in it HAHA he made that movie...
The best part of that movie was the guy who hosted the beergames in that green jacket who looked like he had had 1000 hits of exastacy.

"DAS BOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!" :49:

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Well, bad news, sorta. I'm abandoning this thread, or at least this list rather. It's taken too long to complete and to write my reviews for Box Office Magazine and also do write ups for this list is just too time consuming. More to the point though is that my taste has changed considerably since I've formed this list and many of these films would no longer be on it or in a different position entirely. Below is the entire list. I'd be happy to talk about any inclusions or answer any questions. As of now I plan on reorganizing my top 50 or so films, maybe 25, and those I'll post eventually as they'll be a much more concrete listing.

Enjoy.

01. 2001: A Space Odyssey
02. Citizen Kane
03. The Rules of the Game
04. Casablanca
05. The Godfather Part II
06. The Seventh Seal
07. Stalker
08. Apocalypse Now
09. A Clockwork Orange
10. The Godfather
11. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
12. The Graduate
13. Jules et Jim
14. Bicycle Thieves
15. Vertigo
16. Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
17. The Passion of Joan of Arc
18. 8 1/2
19. Brazil
20. Annie Hall
21. Pulp Fiction
22. Straw Dogs
23. Raging Bull
24. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
25. Andrei Rublev
26. A.I.
27. Amadeus
28. Notorious
29. Gone With the Wind
30. Blue Velvet
31. Magnolia
32. Ikiru
33. Once Upon a Time in the West
34. North by Northwest
35. Army of Shadows
36. Paths of Glory
37. Adaptation.
38. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
39. M
40. The Grand Illusion
41. Lost in Translation
42. In the Company of Men
43. Ran
44. Fanny och Alexander (theatrical)
45. It’s a Wonderful Life
46. Fight Club
47. Dogville
48. Touch of Evil
49. The Battle of Algiers
50. The Philadelphia Story
51. Battleship Potemkin
52. Solyaris
53. The Manchurian Candidate
54. Dancer in the Dark
55. Psycho
56. Videodrome
57. Aquirre, the Wrath of God
58. Persona
59. Being John Malkovich
60. The Virgin Suicides
61. Fargo
62. Kill Bill
63. Unforgiven
64. Jaws
65. Rear Window
66. Lost Highway
67. Memento
68. Breathless
69. Rushmore
70. The 400 Blows
71. Goodfellas
72. Traffic
73. The Big Sleep
74. The Apartment
75. The Sandlot
76. The Elephant Man
77. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
78. Miller’s Crossing
79. Barry Lyndon
80. Toy Story
81. Stroszek
82. Boogie Nights
83. The Maltese Falcon
84. In the Mood for Love
85. American Psycho
86. The Lady Vanishes
87. The Royal Tenenbaums
88. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
89. Robin Hood
90. This is Spinal Tap
91. Charade
92. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
93. Playtime
94. Glengarry Glen Ross
95. Requiem for a Dream
96. His Girl Friday
97. Key Largo
98. Eraserhead
99. Band of Outsiders
100. Kicking and Screaming

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The only question I really have is: Why did you list The Godfather Pt. 2 higher than the first one?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
The only question I really have is: Why did you list The Godfather Pt. 2 higher than the first one?
I find it to be a bit bolder in terms of its narrative efforts and scope but these are two films I could switch the place of regularly. The Godfather is a decidedly linear film, taking movements from Hollywood classicism and turning the film into a sum greater than the parts. Most don't realize that, outside its cultural implications, there lies a rich thematic tapestry that parallels American capitalism. I believe I appreciate this because, on the surface, the movie looks to be far from this insightful.

In The Godfather Part II we almost turn to an anti-Hollywood narrative, opting for countering scenes of Michael (Pacino) and Vito (DeNiro) at the same time in their life. We see Vito's slow struggle and how he came up from nothing and, more importantly, how long it took him to get to where he did. It paints an incredible picture of immigrational ambition through a mesh of American cultural development and societal rankings. In order to do so, Coppola had to have a better understanding of our governing systems than he did in the first, and in a shadowy historical period to boot. These scenes of Vito's rise to power and eventual abandonment of moral are juxtaposed against Michael's fall from grace and abandonment of moral in order to show that the power and crassness are indeed mutually exclusive. It also harps greatly on the passion of young immigrants to the US and how out of said passion great things can be born. Vito's success was almost accidental and people, as a whole, loved him. In contrast, Michael, who was overzealous and his initial responsibilities as godfather, is now more or less fleeing from the seeds his father has sewn. His privilege as a youth is a reason for his shortcomings, a bold strike for Coppola against a generational condition. I just find the societal parallels that exist between the two stories to be endlessly fascinating, and an incredible step away from turning The Godfather series into a set of overtly Hollywood films.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
There are a couple of them in the top 25 i haven't ever watched, i'll fix that as soon as i can considering that i mostly agree with much of that list.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
There are a couple of them in the top 25 i haven't ever watched, i'll fix that as soon as i can considering that i mostly agree with much of that list.
Nice, which haven't you seen?

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Im "buying" 2001: A Space Odyssey as we speak. Is it a Star trek like movie?

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
Line said:
Nice, which haven't you seen?

The Seventh Seal, Jules et Jim and Bicycle Thieves. I'm not sure about other two because i might have seen them translated into spanish and the tittles change.

Daniel Andersson said:
:angrydude:

2001 is a fucking masterpiece. Great both as a movie and as art of any kind. While Velazquez is known as the painter who managed to paint "air", Kubrik mastered filming it, and the lack of it.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Velazquez is known as the painter who managed to paint "air", Kubrik mastered filming it, and the lack of it.

Diego Velazquez is an amazing artist. Truly El Primo. :tiphat:

Edit: Also thanks for the explanation Line. :)

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
2001 is nothing like Star Trek. It's actually good.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:bowroflarms::bowroflarms::bowroflarms::bowroflarms::bowroflarms::bowroflarms:

Actually I watched it again recently as part of Kubrick week on TV. Got to see Clockwork Orange (preferred the book) and Full Metal Jacket as well. Can't say I love these films but they are really provoking.

Actually Line; no Paper Moon?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
The Seventh Seal, Jules et Jim and Bicycle Thieves.
These are films that still hold up incredibly well for me despite my recent onslaught of other films by their directors and all might make my top 10 nowadays. I'm surprised you've seen the Tarkovsky flicks I've listed, though these days Andrei Rublev and Stalker would likely switch places.
Edit: Also thanks for the explanation Line. :)
No problem, I'm just glad it was clear.
Actually Line; no Paper Moon?
Haven't seen it, in part because not even my snobbish friends talk about it. Perhaps I've give it a look sooner rather than later.

An interesting side note: a girl I was seeing years and years ago (I know I'm young and all but stick with me here) actually auditioned for a remake of this movie that Kevin Costner was trying to make. Yeah, it's probably for the best that that didn't get off the ground.

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've enjoyed and own both full metal jacket & A clockwork Orange, but for some reason I've never enjoyed 2001: A Space Odyssey. Fallen asleep every time I've tried to watch it :e5dunno:

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I've enjoyed and own both full metal jacket & A clockwork Orange, but for some reason I've never enjoyed 2001: A Space Odyssey. Fallen asleep every time I've tried to watch it :e5dunno:
Not enough explosions? :e5dunno:

If I had to rank his filmography these days, it'd be:

2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Paths of Glory
Dr. Strangelove
Barry Lyndon
Eyes Wide Shut
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
The Killing
Lolita

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
^^ i'd have FMJ before The shinning. I love the photography work on the second half.

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Not enough explosions? :e5dunno:
I dunno what it is :e5dunno:

One of my favourite movies is Goodfellas though, so that might give you some kind of indication :spy:

JS316

JS316

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What are your thoughts on 'Old Boy?'.

Interesting list by the way.. heaps of surprising choices.

SRB

SRB

the best film of all time is hercules in new york ;) and its starring with big old arney

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Clean up in aisle four please!