• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery.

Always good for a laugh.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I never said anything about them being great just it makes it interesting and good. I agree with you that a good twist doesnt make a great movie but it does make it a good movie which is what i said.
My argument is that it no way makes a good movie and often makes a mediocre film turn bad for fear of ending on a familiar note. See almost every twist ending post-The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari for examples...

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I'd argue that you can't have a twist that isn't already coming (you should be able to spot it and it should make sense to the plot/story). Otherwise it smacks of deux ex machina, which is already far too common.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
The Dark Knight - fucking awesome!

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pineapple Express.

I can't wait until some botanist grows a new strain, calls it that, and some floats in my area. That'll be the shit.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
^^ I'd argue that you can't have a twist that isn't already coming (you should be able to spot it and it should make sense to the plot/story). Otherwise it smacks of deux ex machina, which is already far too common.
Too often directors address thematic movements throughout the film in far too broad of strokes which makes twists inexplicable and cheap. Even if the finales in some way tie into the story they are often poorly realized and convoluted offerings that make details of the story feel far too piecemeal.

Sometimes deux ex machinas are acceptable but these are also moments in which the director is in full understanding of what situational implications they will ultimately project. Short Cuts by Altman is a fantastic example of this as is Magnolia by P.T. Anderson.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Line, given what you just said, what is your opinion of Donnie Darko?

Maxmonzter

Maxmonzter

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The Mummy:Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, pretty dissapointing movie 5/10

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My argument is that it no way makes a good movie and often makes a mediocre film turn bad for fear of ending on a familiar note. See almost every twist ending post-The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari for examples...

you think the twist ending in The Sixth Sense made a mediocre film bad? i think that statement you made here is pretty broad....

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
you think the twist ending in The Sixth Sense made a mediocre film bad? i think that statement you made here is pretty broad....
How does me saying "often" equate to a singular contemporary example that doesn't apply? Well played.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How does me saying "often" equate to a singular contemporary example that doesn't apply? Well played.

hmm well the point of me making that statement was for you to elaborate further on your initial rather broad unspecific statement. and why does it "not apply"(hint: it is completely applicable)? you said "almost every" twist ending seen after the cabinet of Dr Calgari made a mediocre film worse. i gave an example. you dismiss it for no reason at all. well played.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Any particular reason why? Just the abridged version.
I think it might work better if you explained to me what you thought was good about it so I could go into detail as to why it's not. As a whole though, the film is all over the place and horribly cliche ridden.
hmm well the point of me making that statement was for you to elaborate further on your initial rather broad unspecific statement. and why does it "not apply"(hint: it is completely applicable)? you said "almost every" twist ending seen after the cabinet of Dr Calgari made a mediocre film worse. i gave an example. you dismiss it for really no reason. well played.
And almost every film has. You purposely picked a well-respected example as your point and expected me to refute it and I did not (though there are some ridiculously large plot holes in the film that are corrected by meager dialogue pieces which causes it to be grossly overrated). The statement regarding Caligari was a half-joke. Learn to understand context. You won't win a film discussion with me in this manner. If you'd like me to expand upon a point I'd suggest just asking me to do so instead of laying some faux-trap that will only waste both of our time.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Originally posted by Line
And almost every film has. You purposely picked a well-respected example as your point and expected me to refute it and I did not (though there are some ridiculously large plot holes in the film that are corrected by meager dialogue pieces which causes it to be grossly overrated).

i didn't pick that film because i thought it was well respected (i didn't even that it was well received by film critics honestly) it was just the first one that came to mind and a film that i thought used a twist ending greatly to it's advantage and for the betterment of the film.

The statement regarding Caligari was a half-joke.

well i guess we both misunderstood each other :wutyousay:

Learn to understand context. You won't win a film discussion with me in this manner. If you'd like me to expand upon a point I'd suggest just asking me to do so instead of laying some faux-trap that will only waste both of our time.

this wasn't a lack of understanding context, i just didn't get your joke or i guess intent. it's hard when it's only text i'm seeing and not you saying it.

my goal is not to "win" a discussion for 2 reasons: 1) i am not particulary versed in films enough to reference or compare them with one another to even enter into a technical arguement with you 2) even if i did "win" a discussion, how would i even know? no one ever cedes to the other on here that they have made a better arguement. so there really is no winning, just conveying your opnion best as you can and hoping others see where you're coming from.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I didn't mind Smokin Aces at all. Mainly for the performances admittedly.

I liked Nightwatch but yes it is rather kewed. I have got and wathed the sequel and it is more of the same. Visually very impressive but slightly more coherent fortunately so I'd give it a watch Tim!

So Richard Donner, Mel Gibson and Danny Glover have all signed on for Lethal Weapon 5...

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I just watched:
Meet Bill & 21, I liked both a lot. 21 was an amazing movie and Meet Bill was a funny story and entertaining. I would write up on them but I don't feel like it :keke:

I would ike to see 21 but I didnt have to time to do that atm. It seems like a really good movie

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tonight alone :spy:

I've watched:

The Mummy 3
Step Brothers :49: :49: :49: go see this movie :49:
Sex and the City :spy:

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Dont mess with the Zohan - 7/10

Nothing special but its good for a laugh though.