• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
But can you please explain to me why that movie was supposed to be good? my brother, who is reading the book right now, felt the same. convuleted, tedious, and just plain boring.
I'm not sure what you mean by it being convoluted. I'm guessing you mean thematically, and I can see what you're saying but Apocalypse Now is a film that works outside of the typical confines which plague American cinema. It's willing to use the words of its characters not only as a narrative vehicle but also as an introspective means to venture deeper into the film's soul. Much of what is talked about in the form of speeches are actually important movements that question the appropriateness of murder even when commanded, and the maddening effects that violence has on one's spirit. Of course, the genius of said topics, at least in terms of the film's execution of them, is how closely they parallel the situation in Vietnam at the time. It takes the broad scope of "Is what we're doing right" and interjects it into a singular being: Captain Benjamin L. Willard (Martin Sheen). His struggle is not meant to depict the average Vietnam officer but that of the entire army. His eventual shift in personality is due to the overwhelming pressures and moral dilemmas forced upon him by so many outside sources. Director Francis Ford Coppola used a similar motif in The Godfather, making the Corleone family a metaphor for US capitalism. It's something few American filmmakers dare attempt, let alone pull off with such great attention to detail.

I'd be amiss to not say anything about the beautiful photography of the film, as it remains one of the best ever shot. They endured so many hardships while making the film that Coppola almost lost his mind. This isn't to say that struggle in any way effects the objective value of the film (or this and Eraserhead would likely be the two best of all time) but it gives the viewer a certain appreciation for what the filmmakers had gone through to produce this. Their efforts, in my opinion, show in every frame. It features some of the greatest imagery ever put to cinema and is one of the best examples of blending craft with intellectualism that I can think of.

There's a lot more going on thematically but these are the main points. Hopefully it sheds some light on the picture.

Picture3-1.png

Picture21-1.png

Picture26-1.png

Picture32-1.png

Picture39-1.png

Picture1_12-1.png

Picture4_2-1.png

Picture14_1-1.png

Also, if you're watching the Redux version, don't. It has unnecessary scenes. The original is the better cut.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I'm not sure what you mean by it being convoluted. I'm guessing you mean thematically, and I can see what you're saying but Apocalypse Now is a film that works outside of the typical confines which plague American cinema. It's willing to use the words of its characters not only as a narrative vehicle but also as an introspective means to venture deeper into the film's soul. Much of what is talked about in the form of speeches are actually important movements that question the appropriateness of murder even when commanded, and the maddening effects that violence has on one's spirit. Of course, the genius of said topics, at least in terms of the film's execution of them, is how closely they parallel the situation in Vietnam at the time. It takes the broad scope of "Is what we're doing right" and interjects it into a singular being: Captain Benjamin L. Willard (Martin Sheen). His struggle is not meant to depict the average Vietnam officer but that of the entire army. His eventual shift in personality is due to the overwhelming pressures and moral dilemmas forced upon him by so many outside sources. Director Francis Ford Coppola used a similar motif in The Godfather, making the Corleone family a metaphor for US capitalism. It's something few American filmmakers dare attempt, let alone pull off with such great attention to detail.

I'd be amiss to not say anything about the beautiful photography of the film, as it remains one of the best ever shot. They endured so many hardships while making the film that Coppola almost lost his mind. This isn't to say that struggle in any way effects the objective value of the film (or this and Eraserhead would likely be the two best of all time) but it gives the viewer a certain appreciation for what the filmmakers had gone through to produce this. Their efforts, in my opinion, show in every frame. It features some of the greatest imagery ever put to cinema and is one of the best examples of blending craft with intellectualism that I can think of.

There's a lot more going on thematically but these are the main points. Hopefully it sheds some light on the picture.

I agree with everything you said! :xyxthumbs:

It was an awesome movie, I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite scene.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
:xyxthumbs:

Spielberg should really be ashamed.
Indeed. I'll put up a link to my review as soon as it's been posted.
I agree with everything you said! :xyxthumbs:

It was an awesome movie, I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite scene.
As would I. I should really rewatch it though because, despite naming the main points, there's still a lot more going on in the film. I wrote this a long time ago and doubt I agree with all of it anymore but it's a bit longer.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showpost.php?p=11571873&postcount=190

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I forgot to mention, I got around to watching all of Edmond, thought it was great, 9/10. I'm not giving the ending away, but it gave me chills.

Link to the movie for those interested.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443496/

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Watched the strangers, despite a lot of negative reviews I thought it was pretty decent. 7.5/10

I'd like your take on it if you can get around to watching it Lineski. I can get a download link for you if you need it.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
You send me a download link? You're cute, Chesty, but I can manage. :keke:

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^Patronising shit!

Watched Funny games the other day - think I might have to watch the original to see how it compares.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I prefer Funny Games US. It's closer linked to what Haneke's purported scope was.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
brendan

brendan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
carlito's way is one of my favourite films . has anybody seen it?

k-pax aswell.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
carlito's way is one of my favourite films . has anybody seen it?
I saw it awhile ago and remember liking it but not loving. I'd probably be more critical of it now though seeing how I've grown to really dislike De Palma as a director.

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The love guru....was on the dish. Needless to say its 2 hours I won't get back

Watched "Street Kings" the other night...that was a solid flick :D

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Bonnie and Clyde (Penn, 1967) 8
Week End (Godard, 1967) 8.5
Tian bian yi duo yun (Tsai, 2005) 7.5
Mongol (Bodrov, 2008) 6
Vargtimmen (Bergman, 1968) 5.5

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I'm watching Mallrats. Snoochy Boochies!
mallrats%5B1%5D.jpg

My first Kevin Smith experience and a movie I still hold very close to my heart, despite its flaws.
7/10

brendan

brendan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
get smart . a good movie but not that good . don't expect something special.

SiCK

SiCK

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
John Carpenter's Vampires. The only good about the film is the two fight scenes. The motel fight scene is the best, there's like a shit load of people partying, and the master vampires shows up at, and killes everyone WITH HIS HAND (im like wtf)...lol. Its cheesy and cool and funny at the same time. heres the clip from it:

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Street Kings best movie i've seen this month.