• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched

Cork

Cork

Inception....Line, I disagre with you wholeheartedly. Respectfully of course. 9/10 at least.

It was a total reality bender like the first Matrix. Forget Dark Knight, this movie is Christopher Nolan's best. It's long, but every minute is important. The final 45 minutes is just 1 tense moment after another. I was literally on the edge of my seat and I've never done that.

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Saving Private Ryan

I never get tired of watching it.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Inception....Line, I disagre with you wholeheartedly. Respectfully of course. 9/10 at least.

It was a total reality bender like the first Matrix. Forget Dark Knight, this movie is Christopher Nolan's best. It's long, but every minute is important. The final 45 minutes is just 1 tense moment after another. I was literally on the edge of my seat and I've never done that.
This is all well and good, but I don't pay any heed to how little of one's seat is required to view a film. I'd contend that Memento is still Nolan's best, even if, like in Inception, the goal of the protagonist supersedes any case for mortality that one could make. In other words, we're asked to accept the main character's motives as perfunctorily pure regardless of how it relates to the world, and society, at large. Inception really isn't any different, except it's shot worse (seriously, Nolan's already regressed from The Dark Knight when he's shooting actual action and not CGI spectacle) and is too consciously ambiguous to say anything of real relevance about the power of dreams, the tenets of memory, the implementation of ideologies, or the importance of having a grasp on reality. To me, it's not enough to be simply provoke anymore; we must understand the sources of these provocations as they apply to our own realities. Instead of expounding upon anything of the sort, Nolan makes a Rubik's Cube of a film that, upon being solved, changes colors to further frustrate the viewer. Granted, I believe I know the "solution," if it could so be called, and do think that the clues within the film hint toward one, definitive solution. But even that elucidation still leaves me unfulfilled. An intelligent, challenging film isn't one that merely promotes discussion as to how it could be interpreted if these interpretations say nothing of application about either A) life or B) cinema and art. Sure, it may give us something to talk about for a while, but we're ultimately left with nothing but some masturbatory chin-stroking on what the most superficial aspects of a film are, even if these superficialities are buried deep under an overtly complex narrative.

Last edited:
Cork

Cork

See, I'm not on your level, Line, and I guess my first mistake was to contradict your review as if I were equal or better at judging movies than you. You served me, and I deserved it.

You're Ebert, I'm Mystery Science Theater.

I thought a lot of the scenes were filmed well, especially the one with the fight in the hotel hallway with the altering gravity. That was awesome. What I really enjoyed was the main characters plot and how the main plot really hinged on his sub plot. For all the twists and turns and realities within others, it fit together really well. It had it's comedic relief and it had some great moments that really made you think. Great performances by the cast and great effects. I feel it was really well put together.

Memento was alright. It's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember my lasting impression to be along the lines of "Eh, that was decent."

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
See, I'm not on your level, Line, and I guess my first mistake was to contradict your review as if I were equal or better at judging movies than you. You served me, and I deserved it.

You're Ebert, I'm Mystery Science Theater.

I thought a lot of the scenes were filmed well, especially the one with the fight in the hotel hallway with the altering gravity. That was awesome. What I really enjoyed was the main characters plot and how the main plot really hinged on his sub plot. For all the twists and turns and realities within others, it fit together really well. It had it's comedic relief and it had some great moments that really made you think. Great performances by the cast and great effects. I feel it was really well put together.

Memento was alright. It's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember my lasting impression to be along the lines of "Eh, that was decent."
We judge movies differently. I wasn't so much trying to discredit your opinion of the film as I was offering my own and did my best in refraining from talking about how you saw the movie and, instead, focused on how I saw it. You don't have to concede superiority to me in any way, as I was just explaining my qualms with one particular movie. These days I'd only ever get personal or try to discredit someone if they became overtly hyperbolic and adamant of their opinion being right, which certainly wasn't the case with you. Films are art. I don't think Inception is exceptionally good art. But you do, and that's fine too. I just think that, at some point, we need to look beyond the way we react to a film and think about more why we're reacting that way. That's all.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
broof on the roof.

i see inception tommorrow. Its a project he has been working on for 20 years, if any movie has the potential to be art its this one.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
We judge movies differently. I wasn't so much trying to discredit your opinion of the film as I was offering my own and did my best in refraining from talking about how you saw the movie and, instead, focused on how I saw it. You don't have to concede superiority to me in any way, as I was just explaining my qualms with one particular movie. These days I'd only ever get personal or try to discredit someone if they became overtly hyperbolic and adamant of their opinion being right, which certainly wasn't the case with you. Films are art. I don't think Inception is exceptionally good art. But you do, and that's fine too. I just think that, at some point, we need to look beyond the way we react to a film and think about more why we're reacting that way. That's all.

One man's trash is another man's art.

I've been having this same look at art/entertainment mediums of late due to my change in reading habits. I'm actually a little sick of the overtly arty literature and movies as they fail to be entertaining. But then again the problem with that is that some people are entertained by this overtly omphaloskepsis odium.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Being entertained is for the plebes. We must progress!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Yes. Nothing better than being able to sit in the campus coffee house closest to the Arts Faculty and discuss the artistic merit of the benign dross they believe to be the most intellectually stimulating thing they have seen since Star Wars.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Date Night - 6/10

I'm thinking of watching American Psycho. Anyone of you recommend it?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yes. I really enjoyed it. Bale is spot on, and it is one of the few film-book adaptations that is better than the book.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
I just had this argument with my ladyfriend last night. She called me a snob because I never seem to enjoy any of the movies we watch. She's the type of person who enjoys 90% of the movies she watches. Meanwhile, I'm the type of person who only likes about 10% of the movies I watch. She also makes fun of me because I rely to heavily on RottenTomatoes.

Maybe I'm just a picky person, but I rarely watch a film to be entertained. If I want to be entertained, I go on 4Chan. lol.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Yes. Nothing better than being able to sit in the campus coffee house closest to the Arts Faculty and discuss the artistic merit of the benign dross they believe to be the most intellectually stimulating thing they have seen since Star Wars.
If anyone described Star Wars as intellectually stimulating I'd probably smack them. Art dissection doesn't need to be droll, especially if you're one of those people that appreciate, you know, language and can have fun with rhetoric. Yes, lingual gymnastics, both in conversation and in type, is my idea of fun. I don't wish this hellish life on anyone.
I'm thinking of watching American Psycho. Anyone of you recommend it?
Yes...
^^ Yes. I really enjoyed it. Bale is spot on, and it is one of the few film-book adaptations that is better than the book.
...but I wouldn't go this far.
Tech said:
I just had this argument with my ladyfriend last night. She called me a snob because I never seem to enjoy any of the movies we watch. She's the type of person who enjoys 90% of the movies she watches. Meanwhile, I'm the type of person who only likes about 10% of the movies I watch. She also makes fun of me because I rely to heavily on RottenTomatoes.

Maybe I'm just a picky person, but I rarely watch a film to be entertained. If I want to be entertained, I go on 4Chan. lol.
Ha, I'm more or less the same and it's been a problem before in terms of relationships, even budding ones. When I write reviews I tend to be somewhat ruthless toward films I don't like. Girls don't seem to appreciate this. My last Twilight review alone garnered at least three, "I'm never talking to you about movies again" speeches. Said speeches usually start with them saying, "I read your [insert shitty movie here] review..." followed by a long, awkward silence where they don't expect me to ask them what they thought of it, they're just using the time to stare at me menacingly. And yes, I too go to 4chan to be entertained, though certain boards just keep

Oh, and for those who have seen Inception (Spoilers. Highlight to see. I guess the spoiler tags are gone):

My money's on the whole film being a dream, his wife being right (her "suicide" actually kicked her back to reality, and even if that top is going over at the end, it doesn't change the fact that it was Mal's totem and he could picture it going over if he wanted to. Cobb broke every rule he laid out regarding how not to get lost in one's sub-conscious and there's nothing to suggest that he was indeed returning to reality sans that schmaltzy "Welcome home" greeting he got from the guy at the airport and him actually seeing his kids' faces again.

Last edited:
Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
Ha, I'm more or less the same and it's been a problem before in terms of relationships, even budding ones. When I write reviews I tend to be somewhat ruthless toward films I don't like. Girls don't seem to appreciate this. My last Twilight review alone garnered at least three, "I'm never talking to you about movies again" speeches. Said speeches usually start with them saying, "I read your [insert shitty movie here] review..." followed by a long, awkward silence where they don't expect me to ask them what they thought of it, they're just using the time to stare at me menacingly. And yes, I too go to 4chan to be entertained, though certain boards just keep
I finally downloaded and watched the first two Twilight films to appease my g/f. She loved them, and I of course hated everything they stood for. Same goes for any and all romantic comedies.

I'm just far too cynical to enjoy those mindless movies. It's not so much that these films (like romantic comedies) are corny and boring, what frustrates me is the fact that I know the only reason those movies are made is to make money.

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Finished watching it. Enjoyed it all the way through.

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The Wolfman

Boring storyline. I also thought, this movie was about werewolves, not gorillas.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Witty, intellegent, funny, enjoyed it.

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The A-Team (2010)

Didn't feel like A-Teamish at all. More like an exaggarated action film, although it had its funny moment and etc.

Last edited:
Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Inception

good story, im beginning to think Nolan cant write an ending though. 7.5 out of 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
good story, im beginning to think Nolan cant write an ending though. 7.5 out of 10.[/QUOTE]

Just checked it out from imdb. 9.3/10 wtf? This shit better be good.

Last edited by a moderator: