• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Transformers...2 1/2 more months. :tear:

Transformers was the first 10 years of my life. :hsughr: I'm gonna be PISSED if it sucks.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^I'm not so sure. It depends what you're expecting to see. I mean they can't really screw the story up cos it's already there, it's based on a comic so realism, script and acting will be typically comicbook and 2nd rate.
The only way it can be a fuck up is if it isn't a SFX driven overblown action film and with Spielberg producing (SFX covered) and Bay directing (overblown action covered) it should tick the boxes for what it is there to do. But we'll see. Let's face it - it won't win any academy awards.

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
one more week until Spider Man, I dont think anything good comes out this week :disgust:

MexicanMuscle

MexicanMuscle

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Saw 2 movies yesterday-

Dejavu- I thought it was a good story, but the ending was just too fictional, and it left some important unanswered questions. but enterntaining none the less.

Three- i loved this independent film, it is probably because i love psychological thrillers especially ones with twist endings.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^Three?! As in the film with Kelly Brook in it? :no:

Bought 'The Guardian' today for a fiver. Something to pass the time.

MuscleHead

MuscleHead

Rocky said:
^Indeed I had heard it was rather good and quite the masterclass.

I've just read that apparently Eric Robert's will be in the new Batman film. :uhoh2:

Who cares only one good batman and that had Jack Nicholson in it:hsughr:

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ I did actually like 'Begins' and 'Returns' had it plus points.

I just got:

The Host (Korean)
Tenacious D Pick of Destiny &
Pulse (the remake :uhoh2:)

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rocky said:
^ I did actually like 'Begins' and 'Returns' had it plus points.

I just got:

The Host (Korean)
Tenacious D Pick of Destiny &
Pulse (the remake :uhoh2:)

Tell me how The Host is. Looks pretty sweet.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Paulie said:
Tell me how The Host is. Looks pretty sweet.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. The reviews of it have been mostly positive and the FX are meant to be pretty good for a film of this type. I'll let you know when I watch it.

Gonna watch Full Metal Jacket tonight though!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
The Host was pretty overrated, and I think a poor translation of both language and culture are at fault. The tone and goes from goofy monster flick to, "wow...they're being serious in this scene?" pretty quick and the transitions are so sharp that the movie seems polarized; the comedy/drama don't blend at all. The effects were good and it's worth watching but I was disappointed.

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanx Line. Im gonna go ahead and check it out, but my expectations arent going to be that high.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Line said:
Don't worry, child it will.

If I get to see Optimus kick ass for at least 30 seconds, I'll be happy. :hsughr:

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think most of the movies that came out this weekend sucked. :e5dunno:

Anybody seen Fracture? Thats the only one that looks interesting to me.

P

Pain

VIP
Just watched Hot Fuzz. Ok movie, not as good as Shaun of the Dead.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I watched 'The Host' and while I agree that it wasn't what I expected of the film it is quite distinctive of the director. If Line has not seen 'Memories of Murder' then I can see how he thought the comedy/drama element seemed odd. In 'Memories...' he employs a similar strucutre and reviews of that claimed it one of the best thrillers in recent years. Although this film was dis-similar in it's subject, I think his use of going from drama to comedy to shock-horror moments worked well as it was consistent throughout the film and is a more accurate representation of Korean cinema. If you look at other films like 'Lady Vengeance' and 'Oldboy' which are all serious films they all have this element of comedy in them, which is notable of their cinema. The FX as Line pointed out were good aswell being that it was the same company who did 'Sin City' 'Superman Returns' and so forth. Not what I expected either but definately worth a watch.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Also watch 'Full Metal Jacket' too. Was good. Again not as good as the praise that has been heaped on it over the years. Still a stratling look at the process of breaking a man and the visions of war but I think may have become diluted over time due to other more visceral movies since then. Lee Ermey as the gunnery sgt completely stole the show and made it worth watching just for his character, but I felt that Vincent D'Onofrio's portrayal of the fat broken soldier who ends up killing the gunnery sgt was bordering on charicature. Still a great film.

Watched 'Pulse' the remake aswell. Devoid of acting talent and scares which sort of makes a horror film pretty redundant. Wasn't expecting much but even the moments they lifted from the original Japanese film which were scary in that just didn't work as well. Nevermind.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
In regards to The Host, I could care less if the motives used were distinctive of the director, it doesn't make him a highly-skilled auteur if he can't portray or segregate scenes that should solely be dramatically oriented or those where comedy can be included. To be honest, I thought parts of the comedy were spot-on but when you have a family crying excessively and slapping each other comedically after what was purported to be a tragic loss of a daughter it just seems like disoriented filmmaking. I have no problem with a movie combining the two elements because almost every film has some comic relief-based characters or jokes (with the exception perhaps of 21 Grams) but it's a true art to blend them convincingly within the realm of the film. I really don't think The Host was as realized a picture as it could have been. I still offer it as a better good than bad film, just far from great and a bit of a let-down.

As for Full Metal Jacket, I think too many people get caught up in "the first half" of the film and then are subsequently disappointed by the latter acts. However, these people fail to acknowledge the juxtaposition is a purposeful one in order to demonstrate the way soldiers act when faced with actual battle situations and the humanistic, natural reactions that follow in comparison to the robotic-formed training they endured on the island.

Out of curiosity, Rocky how does FMJ rank for you among other Kubrick films?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I've also seen a few other films recently that I never really got a chance to update you guys on...

Mysterious Skin - I was left a bit unaffected by what many have claimed to be one of the more depressing movies they have seen. Still, a well crafted and interestingly unfolding tale of sexuality and shocking-discovery by two young men whom were aquainted with each other as boys only to go into two very separate directions. Excellent performance by Joseph Gordon-Levitt who is proving to be one of the most promising actors today. ***1/2

Sunshine - Danny Boyle's new film doesn't really take on many creative themes (in fact, at times it feels like somewhat like a clone of its predecessors) but some stunning visuals and powerfully directed scenes allow it to rise above your typical sci-fi thriller. While the final act may seem out of place from the rest of the film's context, it contains what is by far the most powerful and creative scenes of the movie. ***

Touch of Evil - I'm a big fan of noir and you really can't go wrong with a film directed by Orson Welles. A very nicely crafted and acted crime thriller with some of the most beautiful photography to come out of the era. ****

Vacancy - Another example of just how bad American horror is getting. Vacancy takes what could be an interesting concept if it wanted to be a violent snuff film, but quickly tames itself and acts as another unintelligent chase/thriller. Factor in killers with no motive, or any characteristics that can be identified as frightening and an inept couple regaining their love for each other and you have another formulaic stock picture. *1/2

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^Hmm I had a feeling Vacancy would be yet another shoddy example of Amercian horror at it's most derivative.

Just on the Host one last time. I know the point you are making about the humour but it isn't just that specific director but as a general rule the majority of Korean films which employ the humour break-up in scenes which you think would not be appropriate. It's just part of the style of their cinema which is why when not necessarily accustomed to it could seem out of context.

As for FMJ as a comparison to other Kubrick films, in all honesty the only other one I've seen is 2001! So as a critical comparison to his other works I feel I wouldn't really give a true representation. It's funny after I watched it I was thinking - I haven't watched many of his. I should do really.