• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Line, what do you favor more? - American film, or foreign film (French, Russian, German etc.)?

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
watched breach, pretty good movie, bout to watch pathfinder just cause it looks like a lot of people get killed :food-snacking:

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Watched 'Perfume' last night.
Not entirely what I was expecting - the initla teaser trailer is a litle mis-leading. Makes it look like some sort of thriller/horror but it's more of a drama really.
Good though, visually impressive (not in the sense of CGI, but recreation of the era) and different from a lot of other films out there. Ending is somewhat odd but in hinsight was an inevitability given the set-up earlier on. Worth watching though.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Line, what do you favor more? - American film, or foreign film (French, Russian, German etc.)?
I'll give you the generic answer: I just love good film in general. It's sad that most Americans will only experience native films because others aren't as heavily talked about in both social circles or in the media. Lately I've been on a foreign kick (French especially) trying to keep up with directors like the ones I mentioned in my last post about the DVD's (Melville, Truffaut, Renoir) I've recently purchased. I also am going to start getting into more films of Kurosawa (Japanese), Tarkovsky (Russian), Fellini (Italian) and Bergman (Swedish). It's really a shame because these auteurs, and others, have made some of the most beautiful films to ever grace celluloid and most won't see or even hear of them. It's after you see some of the brilliance of lesser known directors that you realize what films are capable of being.
Watched 'Perfume' last night.
Not entirely what I was expecting - the initla teaser trailer is a litle mis-leading. Makes it look like some sort of thriller/horror but it's more of a drama really.
Good though, visually impressive (not in the sense of CGI, but recreation of the era) and different from a lot of other films out there. Ending is somewhat odd but in hinsight was an inevitability given the set-up earlier on. Worth watching though.
Some thoughts on Perfume. Not to downplay your enjoyment of it but I didn't care for it at all.

First and foremost, I thought it was one of the worst endings of 2006 and totally took me out of the already accepted odd realm which the film dwelled in. It's actually sad in a way because it was for the most part a good atmospheric experience and the director did an amazing job at trying to "show" us smell.

As for the story, it's narrative is choppy as halfway through it becomes more of a standard slasher flick and we even get the perspective of the victims' to boot. The acts were overly segregated and, although the film is beautifully shot, it's inconsistent and at some points it looks as if it's two different movies from a visual standpoint. Finally, our killer is basically a psychiopath and despite having a tough childhood his overbearing sense of longing really isn't enough to make us sympathize with him enough to make the ending effective. The acting was pretty blasé with the exception of Hoffman who has been his charming self as of late.

And did I mention it was the worst ending to a 2006 film? Well, maybe not as bad as Hard Candy.

** (out of ****)

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree the ending was somewhat unsatisfactory - however in hindsight I think it was inevitable it was going to end in such a manner. Not that it makes it any more rewarding.

Anyhoo, I got 3 films today:

Apocalypto
The Illusionist
Ghost Rider - I needed a 3rd to get the deal!

Also I finally got round to watching Amelie the other day having had it on my shelf for about 3 years!

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree the ending was somewhat unsatisfactory - however in hindsight I think it was inevitable it was going to end in such a manner. Not that it makes it any more rewarding.

Anyhoo, I got 3 films today:

Apocalypto
The Illusionist
Ghost Rider - I needed a 3rd to get the deal!

Also I finally got round to watching Amelie the other day having had it on my shelf for about 3 years!

Ghost Rider?! What? You should have just grabbed some kind of Dora the Explorer DVD for your kids.

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ghost Rider was awesome :49:

Nicholas Cage is like a 2nd degree Chuck Norris :gaygay:

Plus Eva Mendez is pretty hot, I wish she would have showed her bewbs more though :tear:

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:ughfingers:

Ghost Rider made me sick. I'm not a big fan of Nicholas Cage either, I think he plays the same character in all his films; boring and lethargic like. :e5dunno:

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
:ughfingers:

Ghost Rider made me sick. I'm not a big fan of Nicholas Cage either, I think he plays the same character in all his films; boring and lethargic like. :e5dunno:
Cage has made two legitimently good films in his career. A nickel to whomever can guess either.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
P

Pain

VIP
I just watched Raging Bull for the 3rd time. Everything about this movie is brilliant. By far my favorite scene is when Jake La Motta gets thrown into Jail for being a pedo. Such a powerful scene. :linedrunk:

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I just watched Raging Bull for the 3rd time. Everything about this movie is brilliant. By far my favorite scene is when Jake La Motta gets thrown into Jail for being a pedo. Such a powerful scene. :linedrunk:

It's on my list of "films to watch" :xyxthumbs:

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Raging Bull is pretty awesome. What DeNiro film isn't though, Meet the Fockers wasn't that great though :no:

How can you not like Nicholas Cage, hes awesome :49:

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nic Cage:

Raising Arizona
Wild at Heart
Leaving Las Vegas

and for entertainment as opposed to credibility value:

The Rock
Con Air
Face/Off

Bobby De Niro has made a couple of stinkers: Rocky and Bullwinkle springs to mind instantly...

Watched Apocalypto last night - quality film. Very visceral, Gibson employs many of the techniques from Passion of the Christ but doesn't make it any less impressive. Maybe he'll do an english speaking film one day!

P

Pain

VIP
You thought face off was good? It was too confusing at times.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Adaptation and Leaving Las Vegas were the two I was thinking of so someone give Paulie two nickels. I do admit though that I have to see Wild at Heart; one of the few Lynch films I haven't seen.

And yea, Rob: Raging Bull **** or 10/10

thedon

thedon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i just watched beerfest, gunter is such a terrible actor lol

Spike

Spike

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I watched Hardboiled yesterday for the fifth time and it's just crazy awesome, 307 people died in the movie lol.

I'm gonna watch The killer tonight :food-snacking: