• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I made a few purchases myself yesterday. Lately, I've been spending my money on movies and food every week. :49:

Raging Bull
Lost In Translation
Sleepy Hollow
Monster

All really good films from what I hear. I'm pleased with my choices, and all 4 DVD's I got for under $30.

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I made a few purchases myself yesterday. Lately, I've been spending my money on movies and food every week. :49:

Raging Bull
Lost In Translation
Sleepy Hollow
Monster

All really good films from what I hear. I'm pleased with my choices, and all 4 DVD's I got for under $30.

great
Scarlett Johansson :hyperguy:
horrible
good

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Raging Bull **** (or 10/10)
Lost In Translation **** (9/10)
Sleepy Hollow **1/2 (6/10)

INLAND EMPIRE
comes out on DVD Tuesday. :hsughr:

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Raging Bull **** (or 10/10)
Lost In Translation **** (9/10)
Sleepy Hollow **1/2 (6/10)

INLAND EMPIRE
comes out on DVD Tuesday. :hsughr:

Haven't seen Monster? It's pretty good, but I haven't seen it in awhile so I'm not sure how I would rate it.

thedon

thedon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
went and saw transformers today, fuckin awesome movie, you cant watch that movie bootlegged, gotta see it on the big screen

P

Pain

VIP
I watched Hardboiled yesterday for the fifth time and it's just crazy awesome, 307 people died in the movie lol.

I'm going to watch that movie. Never seen it. Stranglehold got me interested in it.

P

Pain

VIP
went and saw transformers today, fuckin awesome movie, you cant watch that movie bootlegged, gotta see it on the big screen

No ammount of OOH AND AHHHS look at that purty cgi is going to save it. So many things wrong with that movie you could write a book on it. Hopefully the 2nd one makes more sense.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
saw hotrod, havent laughed that hard in a long time.
most random movie you might ever see, but makes it funny.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Look like I'm going to have to suffer taking Ria to see the Harry Potter film. :no:

P

Pain

VIP
Tonight i watch The Elephant Man. I heard it can make a man cry.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tonight i watch The Elephant Man. I heard it can make a man cry.

Have you not seen it??!

Awesome film. and yes it can. The end piece of music - Samuel Barber's 'Adagio for Strings' is such a great piece of music. It was used in Platoon and Amelie too.
Let me know what you think.

I am watching a film of similar emotional and film-making zenith - 'School for Scoundrels' remake...

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Elephant Man **** (out of ****)

Then again, I'm a bit of a Lynchian. Speaking of, INLAND EMPIRE DVD at midnight!

:hsughr:

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^I've heard that's one of his weakest films. However if you're a Lynchian then a weak film of his will still be better than other films around I suppose.

Well Pain what did you think of The Elephant Man?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
^I've heard that's one of his weakest films. However if you're a Lynchian then a weak film of his will still be better than other films around I suppose.
Inland Empire as a weaker film of his? It's hard to say because so many films of his are so surreal and indescribable, thus making it harder to compare. That being said, it really is a work of genius. Emotional attachments aside, I probably favor it to The Elephant Man and Eraserhead.

Also, I don't think any other film has had such a profound effect on me and encourage meditation as much as IE had after my first viewing.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Watched a couple this weekend:

Inside Man: Kinda lacked something, but was interesting enough to keep me watching. No real ending, and Clive Owen was really underutilised, as was Jodie Foster.

Hard Luck: Oddball film from Mario Van Pebbles with Wesley Snipes. I enjoyed it but it really was an ecclectic film, kinda two films in one. It could have also been greater than it was as it lacked some tension and drama.

Jarhead: Wasn't a real movie, wasn't very interesting, and wasn't worth it. At any stage I expected a plot or narrative to evolve, but this came up as a really poor remake/restyling of Full Metal Jacket. In fact that is a really bad comparison as it lacked any of the character and story poignancy of FMJ.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Watched a couple this weekend:

Inside Man: Kinda lacked something, but was interesting enough to keep me watching. No real ending, and Clive Owen was really underutilised, as was Jodie Foster.

Hard Luck: Oddball film from Mario Van Pebbles with Wesley Snipes. I enjoyed it but it really was an ecclectic film, kinda two films in one. It could have also been greater than it was as it lacked some tension and drama.

Jarhead: Wasn't a real movie, wasn't very interesting, and wasn't worth it. At any stage I expected a plot or narrative to evolve, but this came up as a really poor remake/restyling of Full Metal Jacket. In fact that is a really bad comparison as it lacked any of the character and story poignancy of FMJ.
I also found Inside Man lacking the commentative punch that most Spike Lee joints are associated with but it still was an effective film. In reality, I was taken aback a bit by the end myself upon my first viewing but on a rewatch decided that it truly did satisfy because it basically left all parties in the best possible scenario based on the events we'd seen. It's also hard to say that Owen and Foster were under-utilized because they can only perform around the script they're given and too many times have I seen directors re-write parts to further involve characters only to fail. *** (out of ****)

As for Jarhead, I thought it was a misfire for Mendes but wasn't a terrible film through and through. I do feel it draws unnecessary comparisons to FMJ because of the bootcamp scenes but it's really a different type of film. While Kubrick's take on Vietnam was more of a study on how young naive kids dealt with being sent to war, it didn't really deal too much with how unimportant and unnecessary that war particularly was. Jarhead does a pretty effective job in showing how the soldiers waited for a war that never came and the suffering reflection of their home lives as a result of a job they served almost no purpose for. However, it does almost feel like a clip-show of "my most memorable Gulf War moments" and the tone isn't as consistent as it should be.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I saw Harry Potter and Transformers last week.

Harry Potter was ok - suffering probably from being a middle book and as such it seems the next film will also suffer from expectation of the end battle. At least the kids acting is marginally improved.

Transformers - exactly what I expected from a Bay film - big, loud, epic, action fest with no brains. But I still liked it. It was based on an 80's cartoon so it was never going to be high art anyway. The FX were truly stunning though, particularly the way they integrated with the back/foregrounds and actors, especially in the more "busy" scenes. He may never win an oscar but he can deliver big dumb action films a good'un.