• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched

Igorek

Igorek

I watched a few films recently:
Die Hard 4 - ok movie but it pretty much sucks compared to the old ones.
Ones Upon a Time in Mexico - total crap.
Saw 1 - not bad.

P

Pain

VIP
Memento - quality film.

How many veiwings did it take you to piece together the story? I figured it out on the 3rd watch. I would rewind a few parts though. I had alot time to kill that day.

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How many veiwings did it take you to piece together the story? I figured it out on the 3rd watch. I would rewind a few parts though. I had alot time to kill that day.

I figured it out on the first viewing (yes, I did rewind it a couple times.) But I pretty much put the pieces together like a puzzle.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I got Memento the first time through without rewinding or anything. The same can not be said for Mulholland Drive or INLAND EMPIRE though.

I recently watched Fanny och Alexander by Ingmar Bergman. It's really taking me a while to digest it and figure out exactly what sort of statements its making about family, status, and growth. It definitely is a very engrossing three hour engagement so I'd recommend seeing it though it seems less outright brilliant yet more subtle than The Seventh Seal. I'll hopefully be giving it a rewatch sometime soon. Hopefully I'll be able to set another 3 hours aside to get around to watching Dogville in the next few days.

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm still awaiting my review of 1408 :no:

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Watched 'About Schmidt' again last night. It was the 1st film in the alphabet now we've decided to watch all the films we have in alphabetical order. I worked out it will take approximately 7 yrs.

Anyway - About Schmidt - really like this film. Nicholson plays it so understated which is what makes it work so well.

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm still awaiting my review of 1408 :no:

Ok, sorry for the wait. Seems like I'm the only one who has seen this.

1408 (2007) - John Cusack delivers very well without a supporting cast as he is trapped in a haunted hotel room he never even thought would be this terrifying. I'm really impressed with his skills. The whole time he acts as if something chaotic is happening in the hotel room, but really the special effects take over after the filming is all done. There is excellent visual effects and film editing, I was pleased. I could really see him getting nominated for Best Actor when Academy Award time comes. Also, this is one of the better "thrillers" I've seen in awhile thanks to director Mikael Håfström who's also directed a few other low budget quality films (Derailed, Drowning Ghost, Evil). 1408 is overall really good and deffinately worth a watch.

**** out of ***** (8/10)

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Anyway - About Schmidt - really like this film. Nicholson plays it so understated which is what makes it work so well.
I haven't really watched this one since it first came out both in theaters and then once more on DVD. I love the film and think Alexander Payne does an incredible job of mixing true life comedy and drama in order to better connect with his audience (Sideways being another perfect example). I'm not sure why exactly, perhaps the illness of my grandfather at the time, but the entire meditation on the march and inevitability of death really touched and saddened me. It's one of the rare films I feel a personal connection to and it does have a place somewhere in my top 100 (which may or may not reveal itself shortly).

Oh, and I finally got around to watching Dogville and it was brilliant. Not all that much time for a write-up as of now because my internet is sketchy but it truly was an ingenious take on filmmaking.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I love the film and think Alexander Payne does an incredible job of mixing true life comedy and drama in order to better connect with his audience (Sideways being another perfect example).
I hated Sideways.

Least enjoyable drama I've watched in years, didn't even make it all the way through.

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I watched Children of Men for the 2nd time. I really like that film, and it is some of the best filming I've ever seen. Though, the ending did lack in communication a little. Overall, I liked it a lot.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I hated Sideways.

Least enjoyable drama I've watched in years, didn't even make it all the way through.
Why? And to be honest, the "didn't make it all the way through" comment doesn't really build a case because not giving a film a chance to redeem itself is a mortal sin in critique.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
They build no sympathy for the lead characters. Giamatti is a whining loser, and rather than endearing you he just aggrevates you. The supposed humour is flat and charmless. The story/plot is see-thru and lacks any real drive to keep you interested. The list goes on and on.

I did end up seeing the last half, but only because I have sat through worse (Beastmaster anyone?). The missus hated it too, and she rarely hates movies, rather than find them boring.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Oliver Stone is to do a 4th Nam picture. This one with Bruce Willis based on the My Lai Masacre.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
They build no sympathy for the lead characters. Giamatti is a whining loser, and rather than endearing you he just aggrevates you. The supposed humour is flat and charmless. The story/plot is see-thru and lacks any real drive to keep you interested. The list goes on and on.

I did end up seeing the last half, but only because I have sat through worse (Beastmaster anyone?). The missus hated it too, and she rarely hates movies, rather than find them boring.
I'll respond to this in detail soon.

Oh, and Stone should leave Nam pics behind him. In fact, he should probably just take some time off from making films in general.

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Halloween was alright; it was overly acted by a lot.

Death Sentence is currently the worst film of 2007. :xyxthumbs:

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Did you see it in the movies Paul? There's another version floating around on the net apparently.