• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
good session. ye, i hear ya on the weight feeling too light. i have the same issue. lately ive been thinking, do the 5/3/1 program advocate alittle too much deloading? i mean, once every 4 weeks and with such a drastic drop in weight. im asking u because u prolly have some thoughts on it.

ive just been noticing personally that the first week after deload feels so heavy compared to week 2 and 3, as if i had lost strenght. i know wendler says this is not the case, but could it be an individual thing? i know u are in ur first cycle yet, so id be happy if u would report if u notice anything at the start of cycle 2 aswell.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
5/3/1.............

Tim, you may have convinced me to try it next.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Btw, do you guys have the 5/3/1 ebook to email me?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Jono: thanks dude. I haven't done a proper deload in ages.

Bulky: I'll have to comment further in a weeks time. It does feel light, today's session was literally warmup weights all the way through. Then you hit accessories and they are heavy in comparison.

I agree with the deload principle, and I think going really light for a week can't be terrible, as long as the week before was heavy enough. I haven't experienced the weight lag you mentioned in previous deloads, but that was 20% less, not 50%. I am thinking though that maybe the week after would require a bit of extra warming up.

Lifterdead: if you need a copy of the manual just PM me your email.

Kurt: Sent. Thought you had it already.

Jono: don't worry I've already done it.

Um today was embarrassingly light. I was actually thinking that I would be ashamed to be in a commercial gym on this deload week, especially for today.

Warmups

Overhead press
20kg x5 2 sets

27.5kg x5
32.5kg x5
40kg x5 - to put this all in perspective, I use the 20kg bar to do 10 cuban presses as a general shoulder warmup every session.

Chinups
11.5kg x10 2 sets

Supersetted with:

Dips
11.5kg x12 2 sets

Supersetted with:

Lean away lateral raises
12kg x10 2 sets

BB bicep curl
40kg x10 2 sets - these were surprisingly hard and my biceps have been cramping all evening.

supersetted with

Plate OH tricep ext
23kg x15 2 sets

Soundtrack:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Today was again light and didn't feel like anything more than a warmup. Except calves, which feel like I'm getting shin splints again :omgwtf:

Warmups

Deadlift
60kg x5
72.5kg x5
90kg x5
110kg x5

Front squat
62.5kg x10 2 sets - considering how much these hurt last week I was surprised at how easy they were today.

Single leg hammy curl
20kg x8 2 sets

Single leg DB calf raise
32kg x8 2 sets

Soundtrack:

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
ur trying to justify using light weight on a deload session? why? I just want to see your titties.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ More a comment, like what Bulky raised, that the deload is probably excessive. 50% of a 90% of max is very low. Previous deloads have felt refreshing, this doesn't really feel like a proper workout.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ More a comment, like what Bulky raised, that the deload is probably excessive. 50% of a 90% of max is very low. Previous deloads have felt refreshing, this doesn't really feel like a proper workout.

exactly. i share ur consern. especially after my latest sessions which havent been going too well to be honest. i seem to be loosing strenght after deload week.

anyways, i look forward to ur analysis and comments next week, when ur deload is over. lets hope its just me and that ur results keep coming.

session looks nice btw, but ye ridicolously light. seriously i hate going to the gym during deload week:49: feel like a 40 year old woman:49:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I understand the frustration over deloading, that's why I don't wind my accessory work back as far as recommended. I'm going to be using deload to post DB Press and Kroc Row PRs :borat:.

Wendler does say that you can deload or not deload its up to you, but he recommends doing it to be on the safe side.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Incredible workout music. My commendations!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bulky: I actually noticed that my bench felt heavy today on the sets so I think it may be a little light on this deload. Guess I'll know more this week.

Ben: I've been doing the halve the volume of accessories but keep weights and reps. For the bench session I actually just upped the reps to make it more challenging. What have you been doing.

Kurt: If that is sarcasm aimed at my choice of Roxette then nuts to you :shakefist: First album I bought (on tape no less) was Look Sharp.

Warmups
Couldn't skip today as my left foot seems to have something wrong with it, want to give it a break.

Bench
20kg x20
40kg x10

52.5kg x5
65kg x5
77.5kg x5 - heavier than it should have been

Incline DB
32kg x12 2sets

Supersetted

Thick bar Db row - Kroc style I guess
42.5kg x20 2 sets - the higher reps were easier than I thought, until the second set, trick is just to keep it moving. Made me breathe hard and got a back pump!!

Soundtrack:
Skippy hates my music so why bother :tear:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
No sarcasm at all... I <3 Roxette hehehe

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I don't deload accessories. :D It might be a bit stupid but if I deloaded them I may as well not even go to they gym. I always bust my ass on my main lifts so just knocking them back feels good enough deload for me. I'll keep on doing this unless as long as it feels good.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Skippy: OK. I forgive you. Roxette are a fun band and really got that pop thing nailed. Few as good since in the pop market.

Benno: Yeh I saw that in one of your deloads, you had your normal squats then the boring but big squats. Seemed crazy as you had 50kg x5 squats followed by 100kg x10 squats. Almost not worth doing the main sets under that philosophy.

Ok if today is anything to go by then the deload was fine. I spent 12hrs on the road yesterday and was tired, bored and unmotivated, added to which it was hot and humid, so if there was any day I didn't feel like squatting it was today. I lifted and felt great.

Warmups
Skipping 4mins

Snatch
20kg x5
40kg x2 x2
60kg x2 x2
70kg x2
75kg x2

ATG squat
75kg x5
90kg x3

100kg x5
115kg x5
130kg x5 - belt worn for the first time, felt good although uncomfortable in the bottom position.

GM
65kg x12 3sets

Front squat
65kg x10 2 sets

Single leg calf raise
32kg x8 - I've injured my left foot somehow and it didn't feel good, on the plus side I could stand in for Daniel Day Lewis.

Soundtrack:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yesterday I stuffed up and forgot that I was meant to push myself on the last set, not just hit 5 reps. I was probably good for 6-7 reps.

Today I felt like I was going through the motions and cut it early on the accessories.

Warmups
Skipping 3mins

Overhead press
20kg x10
40kg x5

45kg x5
52.5kg x5
57.5kg x7 -happy with this

Chinups
11.5kg x10 3 sets

supersetted with

Dips
11.5kg x12 3 sets

supersetted with

Lean away lateral raise
12kg x10 2 sets

Soundtrack:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was thinking of doing other accessories moves on deload to change the week up a bit, and still go "light", and focus more on squeeze and such, i know that deload week is frustrating cuz you feel its too light, but i felt it let my joints and nervous system rest and when the next cycle started i felt rested and ready to train hard again!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Considering how I have felt this week training, despite travel and being overworked, I think the deload was actually good. Not inspiring to be in but resulted in a good level to come back into.

I think that probably guys like Bulky would probably get a different number of reps to me at an 80% of max test. I'm guessing going that light may actually drop them too far below a challenging rep and weight range.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im glad the deload didnt seem to hurt ur progress tim:2: solid effort on these last sessions.