• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Kurt: And here I was thinking that Brisbane did have beaches due to the Bris-Vegas thing.

Technically we do have beaches... but they are some of the most godawful and pathetic excuses for beaches lol

Its only an hour north or an hour south so some of the best beaches in Australia... so its not a big loss hehe

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
wow, nice benching tim:2: 115 for 6 is quite respectable. u beat me now anyway:tear: anyways, hope u have a good time, and c u in the log section again in awhile:2:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ben: Only one?? It's a honeymoon, it is all the time!!

Kurt: Beaches are overrated in my book. Sand follows you home, especially in crevices you don't want it in, it is hot, the sun burns my fragile skin, it is often windy.......

Bulky: Thanks dude, I'm now back!

The cruise was great. They had a pretend gym on the boat, but in fairness the gym couldn't have freeweights due to the movement of the boat. It was hard enough running on the treadmill, let alone squatting with weight. I gained weight on the cruise, up to 92kg (today I was 90.5kg after losing some water weight).

Also I officially hate the lat pulldown. Shit exercise and it was topped off by a lameo old guy that wanted to just do a quick set of 8. He proceeded to do 8 at one weight, then 8 at another, then 8 in the reversed position, then a final weight the other way around.

So back at it for week 3 of 5/3/1, the first cycle of it and although it is week 3 I started it on the 15th Dec 2009.......

Warmups

Snatch
20kg x5
40kg x3
60kg x2
70kg x1 2 sets

ATG squat
70kg x5
100kg x3

112.5kg x5
127.5kg x3
142.5kg x6 - this was good and indicates a good gain on my squat

GM
62.5kg x12 5 sets

Single leg calf raise
32kg x8
37kg x8
42kg x8 2 sets

Front squat
80kg x5 - was close to tearing my shorts so stopped early on these, also lacked energy so didn't bother with any more sets.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's been awhile since ive been in this log....missed u lol, nice squatting Timbo

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks Jono, I'm happy to have pulled some of the suck out of my squat.

Interesting day, my overhead press is finally on the improve after several years of neglect.

Warmups

Overhead press
20kg x5
40kg x5

50kg x5
57.5kg x3
62.5kg x6 - happy with this, means I've added some strength to it nicely.

Chinups
10kg x10 4 sets

supersetted with

Dips
10kg x12 4 sets

Lean away lateral raises
10kg x10 3 sets

BB bicep curl
40kg x10 2 sets

Plate overhead extension
20kg x15 2 sets

Soundtrack:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Felt pretty good about this evenings session, aside from the fact I should have done it two days ago....... :keke:

Warmups

Deadlifts
60kg x5
100kg x5
120kg x3

135kg x5
155kg x3
172.5kg x6 - happy with this, wanted 6-8 and 6 was realistic

Front squat - due to the lame appearance they made in the last lower body session
60kg x10 5 sets

Single leg hammy curl
20kg x8 4 sets - my calves were cramping like made as I did these so had to pull up short in every set

CoC Grippers
Tx2 2 sets
1x2 2 sets
2x2
Tx6

Soundtrack:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yep deadlifts win.

But unfortunately my bench sucked today. According to my reps this week I have gained at least 8kg on each of my lifts (15kg on my deadlift). But not my bench. Apparently it is exactly the same.

Warmups

Bench
60kg x5
80kg x3

97.5kg x5
110kg x3
122.5kg x3 - 4th rep wouldn't go up (without form going out the window) and I was aiming for 6-8, 6 was realistic.

DB Incline bench
32kg x10 5 sets

supersetted with

Thick bar DB rows
42.5kg x10 5 sets

Soundtrack:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
That bench is still something I can look up to :keke:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
strong deads and good benches timbo, i just love how u can row the damn thick dumbell for so many reps/sets without ur grip giving out, must have some manly big rough hands :)

On a serious note, i have been trying to improve my grip, and the dumbells at the gym im currently working out at go only up 2 40 kg, but after 20kg they handle get noticeably thicker. How thick is your thick bar? gonna ask at the gym how thick mine is ( no homo) :)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Kurt: Yeh but it feels like a failure when everything else has improved and my bench is still the same. :tear:

Mike: :thumbsup2:

strong deads and good benches timbo, i just love how u can row the damn thick dumbell for so many reps/sets without ur grip giving out, must have some manly big rough hands :)

On a serious note, i have been trying to improve my grip, and the dumbells at the gym im currently working out at go only up 2 40 kg, but after 20kg they handle get noticeably thicker. How thick is your thick bar? gonna ask at the gym how thick mine is ( no homo) :)

Actually I had a rude awakening at some of the gyms when it comes to dumbbells and grip. The dumbbells I use actually have either knurling or rust, so you can actually hold onto them. But at gyms I've noticed that the chrome bars are more slippery (as sweat and humidity really gets to them) and they have started to have virtually no knurling. This makes them very hard to handle without chalk or straps.

My own thickbars are actually old pieces of pipe. The one I use for rows is just over 2" thick (standard bar is 1.25" I believe, so more like lifting an O bar collar) and the other I use is 2.5" thick. The thicker bars at gyms tend to be 1.5-1.75" thick I believe, and they generally tend to lack knurling. For pressing they are fine, but they assume you just rest them on your hands not actually grip and control them.

Try using some chalk, liquid or powder, which will help immensely. Either that or find the non-chrome bars to use, they just don't get as slippery with use.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Deadlift win.

No worries about the bench though, there's always one lagging movement at any given time. And you probably expended a lot of energy while you were honeymooning. ;)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
El Freako said:
No worries about the bench though, there's always one lagging movement at any given time. And you probably expended a lot of energy while you were honeymooning.
I also had a lot of sex :D

Got my belt and wraps in the mail this morning. Ordered them from Titan Australia. Minh was really good to deal with, so I can highly recommend ordering stuff from them.
www.titanaustralia.com.au

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You are very right about the lack of knurling on the dumbells, they have the HS line of dumbells, which i dont particularly like, instead of the plates gettin bigger in diameter,they just get wider, so the 40kg's touch very easily, adn the handle is about 1.5 inch thick and no knurling, really hard to hold on too long, but it will greatly improve my grip.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Jono: it will only improve your grip if you have chalk, as slippery does nothing.

Mike: New PB's? I was joking on Facepage.

Although I can state what I was working off of and what I should be working off of from my 5/3/1 (deload next week).

Bench
90% of 140kg
Max still 140kg

Squat
90% of 163kg
Max now 173kg

Deadlift
90% of 198kg
Max now 208kg

Military press
90% of 70kg
Max now 75kg

The joke I made on Facepage was that I have just bought some knee and wrist wraps and a belt from Titan Australia (Titan were great to deal with and I can highly recommend Aussies to order from Minh). I was having a practice at wrapping my knee last night and was amazed at how much a light wrapping gave me, let alone if I did an X wrap or really stretched it tight. I can see how knee wraps could easily give you 20-40kg on your squat, maybe even your deadlift, without any trouble at all!

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
seems as if 5/3/1 is working very well for u tim:2: glad to see that. lifts look much improved over a short period of time. deadlift, squat and mp have all come up. as have been said dont sweat the bench. i have the same issue. my bench strenght is the hardest to bring up. we are pretty much equal in the bench too. so u just stay put until mine starts to move up;)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bulky I'd love to hold my bench back for you, but my brain doesn't listen to me under the iron.

Deload week. Nothing much to report except that my new wrist wraps were brilliant for my snatch. Going to try them with some C&J's before deadlifts as well.

Warmups

Snatch
20kg x5
40kg x5
60kg x2 2 sets
70kg x2 2 sets

Squats
60kg x5
75kg x5
90kg x5 - crazy light, but I guess that is the point.

GM
65kg x10 3 sets

supersetted with

Split squat
65kg x10 3 sets

supersetted with

Standing calf raise
105kg x15 3 sets

No music today as the iPod was recharging.