• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks guys. I'm not promising to update this log regularly, as I don't need another reminder of my ups and downs. I will try to record any ups though.

Ironheart the pull is from below the knees. Previously I had pulled 257.5kg from above the knee, so this has been great to have another ~22cm ROM.

Benno the double was interesting as my hands were just crushed. The second one got locked and then I just had to drop it, callouses were killing me.

Skippy you'll be pleased to hear that I ripped the arse out of my shorts prior to that 140kg front squat.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
pics?

stupid character limit.

nude pics?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Update: I got fat over Xmas and hit 96.5kg. It was partly the hot weather, the beer, the extra food, the lack of motivation to exercise (in the heat, but just in general) that saw me climb above 90kg. So as of the 30th of December I've been on a diet. Basically I've cleaned up my diet, cut out any processed foods basically. So far I've dropped a kilogram a week of blubber and my strength is going up nicely.

Last week I hit a 140kg double on the front squat, nice (Skippy I successfully ripped the arse out of another pair of shorts :icon_mrgreen:). Also had my best shoulder session in years, hitting a military press of 75kg for an easy triple. I've also made some equipment and some upgrades. I drilled out some extra holes in my power rack so that I can do a mid-shin rack deadlift (pulled 220kg on that). If I had been thinking I would have put some band pegs in while I was at it :embarresed: I also built a dip station out of wood and just used it for a finisher on chest this evening. Dips are awesome.

Aside from that I can say that where I live in Australia is not underwater, in fact we had our first real rainfall event of the past 18 months a fortnight ago. I also bought another amp. Coolest little thing ever:
lg_LilNightTrain-1.jpg

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Stupid pants!

Looks like a nice little amp man, I'm looking at downgrading my amp setup, maybe a 50watt valve amp maybe.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Good to see you're alive still old timer!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Stupid pants!

Looks like a nice little amp man, I'm looking at downgrading my amp setup, maybe a 50watt valve amp maybe.
If you're not looking to do a large gig a 20W amp may do the job (especially if they mic the amp, in which case any amp would do). I barely play my 100W Marshall anymore. Take a look at the Krank Rev Pro Jr (20 and 50W), Engl have a Gigmaster line now, Blackstar have some good stuff, and there are some boutique amps around as well (Hayden, Dirty Boy, Coyote, etc). I got the Vox Lil Night Train 2 watter above to be a rocking small travel amp. It sounds much better through a bigger cabinet. Won't do metal though, just Voxy rock sounds and Voxy cleans. My Egnater Tweaker though does it all.

Remember that a 1W amp is half as loud as a 10W amp which is half as loud as a 100W amp. So you can get just as much (technically more) out of a fully cranked 10W amp as you can out of a half volume 100W. The only real difference is headroom. Do you crank you're current amps right up?

Good to see you're alive still old timer!
Alive and kicking. I feel some good weights coming this year. I hope to actually have an improvement on my bench this year as well.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
At the moment I have a 200w solid state Randall head and a 4x12 marshal jcm cabinet haha, I really want to downgrade to a combo amp because it is a massive **** to transport! I kind of want to look around the 30-50w just so I can cover as many bases as possible when it comes to gig size, something I could still use for a smaller gig but also something with a bit of balls. I havn't heard many good things at all about Krank amps, however I was thinking hard about the engl's, also the laney and the marshal combos I've seen have been great!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
At the moment I have a 200w solid state Randall head and a 4x12 marshal jcm cabinet haha, I really want to downgrade to a combo amp because it is a massive **** to transport! I kind of want to look around the 30-50w just so I can cover as many bases as possible when it comes to gig size, something I could still use for a smaller gig but also something with a bit of balls. I havn't heard many good things at all about Krank amps, however I was thinking hard about the engl's, also the laney and the marshal combos I've seen have been great!

Yeh. Dimebag switched from Randall solid state to Krank tube amps. Randall also has the module amps by Bruce Egnater. They have a 20W and 50W version of those that can have any of the 20 odd tube arrays mounted in (the 20W holds one, the 50 two, and I believe there is a new 20W that has two module capacity). As a result these can do just about anything, just swap around.
Krank:

Randall RM22 (two module 20W tube amp, the video is the Ultra XL module which is the second heaviest or something):

Egnater Rebel 20 (the 30 is good too but has two channels and a different breakup profile):

Engl are apparently hit and miss tone wise. Best to try them out in store is the word on the recording pages. Laney makes a great amp, can't remember the model, but it kicks ass. VHT, Fryette (they have a power switchable head 100/40), Hiwatt, can't forget the Mesa (if you have heaps of money burning a hole in your pocket). Rivera's Knucklehead line have some switchable heads too. Although that get back to owning a stack again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
140 for 2 on fronties is very impessive!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
140 for 2 on fronties is very impessive!

Thanks. I'm reasonably happy with my progress of late. I have a few goals to hit before I swap over to the main 3 exercises, but I hope the carry-over is enough to see me set some PBs.

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks. I'm reasonably happy with my progress of late. I have a few goals to hit before I swap over to the main 3 exercises, but I hope the carry-over is enough to see me set some PBs.

I presume you're using the olympic style grip instead of crossed arms. Is there any major difference? Which one feels heavier?

Last edited:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I presume you're using the olympic style grip instead of crossed arms. Is there any major difference? Which one feels heavier?

Yeh, Olympic grip mostly. I tend to use the crossed arms when I'm >90% of max. I do this because of my wrists not appreciating the position under heavier loads. But the actual difference in weight is more due to the tendency to lean forward slightly more on the heaviest sets (in videos you barely see it, but under the bar it is night and day). So as a result you can have the bar wanting to roll off the shoulder more.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
glad to see you're active and doing well tim-tim.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
TIM make sure you get into the top 6 guess comeptition in the general section, it'll cover all shows this year at the end the mecca contest champ will be crown. for more info go to the Flex pro top 6 guess thread .

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yes I'm still alive folks.

I've been busy with work, life, etc. I'm also spending more time working on my novel/s. It is about time I took writing to the next level.

Any way, my strength has stayed pretty much the same, but I'm actually training less. I'm still doing Front squats with +140kg, in fact managed a double with 145kg last week. The floor press is right at 140kg but I'm able to rep out at 120kg. My rack deadlift this evening was a 230kg pull from the shins, so it would be interesting to see what my deadlift would be with that extra couple of inches ROM.

While I'm training less I am actually still doing stuff most days. I often ride my stationary bike in the mornings before breakfast. I've been leaving a bar set up with 80kg on it to do 20 rep squats, a set of thick bar chinups and a set of dips whenever I walk past. I'll up the weight to 100kg on the squats soon. I'm actually impressed that I can squat so well cold, but then I thought that doing dips and chins cold was no different to a BW or thereabouts squat cold. So now that I'm used to this little superset I'll start pushing it a little bit more.

Oh and check out my blog. It will start to have some of my writing released on it soon.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
Yes I'm still alive folks.

I've been busy with work, life, etc. I'm also spending more time working on my novel/s. It is about time I took writing to the next level.

Any way, my strength has stayed pretty much the same, but I'm actually training less. I'm still doing Front squats with +140kg, in fact managed a double with 145kg last week. The floor press is right at 140kg but I'm able to rep out at 120kg. My rack deadlift this evening was a 230kg pull from the shins, so it would be interesting to see what my deadlift would be with that extra couple of inches ROM.

While I'm training less I am actually still doing stuff most days. I often ride my stationary bike in the mornings before breakfast. I've been leaving a bar set up with 80kg on it to do 20 rep squats, a set of thick bar chinups and a set of dips whenever I walk past. I'll up the weight to 100kg on the squats soon. I'm actually impressed that I can squat so well cold, but then I thought that doing dips and chins cold was no different to a BW or thereabouts squat cold. So now that I'm used to this little superset I'll start pushing it a little bit more.

Oh and check out my blog. It will start to have some of my writing released on it soon.

It's nice to hear those good news. URL of your blag?