• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

Natureboypkr

Natureboypkr

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
that ought to get the testostrone flowing , nice session bro

onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Glex said:
It's ok; nobody knew what esoteric meant anyway :49:

:tear:Does it make me a dork that I did?

Life changes, so it's just fine to see your log crack out of a new egg in response. Just keep dominating all your various facets of existence Tim, and let us know how it goes:xyxthumbs:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Natureboy: That was idea of the session. Just didn't have time to do the normal session, and this involved enough strength training, explosive moves, cardio, and still got done in about 15-20mins.

Eric: No you are not a dork. We just belong to a higher level of education (lets be snooty!!).

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
^^ Haha, you bastards. I looked it up the first time I read your log :tear:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Ok you get to be snooty too.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just a bit of an update.

Between work and work, I've managed to chew up a fair bit of my energy. As a result these 10x3 sessions have really started to mess with my body. My knee has started to be constantly swollen, and my shoulder is starting to get touchy again. I feel this is because of the "You must lift x-kg more this week!" mentality of the program. I've probably really overreached on some sessions when I should have taken it easy.

As a result this coming week I am changing (6 weeks ain't too bad). I'll go to a wave loaded program and incorporate more accessories to get my shoulders and knees back to feeling better.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've missed loads in here. Went back and watched the vid - looks good.
That's a areal pisser about your shoulder and knee giving you grief. Hopefully your new routine will help aid or at least minimise the aggravation from it. Stay healthy and strong buddy.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks Rocky!!

I think in general that my shoulder has suffered from both too few assistance exercises, and too much "chasing the weight". My knee, just too much work. This was one of the issues I feared with a peridosied program, that it doesn't really allow for what my body reacts to.

The Routine:
Day 1&2 Main exercise pair done 3-8-3-8 with 5RM and 8RM respectively.
Day 2&3 Main exercise pair done 10-4-10-4 with 11RM and 5RM (Possibly haven't thought about this too hard).
Will undulate a 3 week buildup one week back, then resume week 3 buildup.........

Day 1
VMO activation
Squat
SLDL
Standing Calf raises
Dynamic Lunge
Hammy curls

Day 2
Pec and scapular/lower lat/lower trap activation
Bench
Row
Pushup
Fatman pullup
Tricep ext
Bicep curl
Wrist roller

Day 3
Activation work
Snatch (warmup)
Clean (warmup)
Front squat
Single leg SLDL
Seated calf

Day 4
Activation work
Overhead press
Dip
Pullup
Dynamic pushup
Rope pull
Arm work still to be decided.
Grippers

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A nice looking programme. But thenm I'd expect it to cover all the bases from you! lol at the fatman pull-up - that's an Evo exericse too - and not just cos he's fat!
Hope this yields you the results. I'll be reading with interest.

imraan47

imraan47

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
everyone seems to have problems with the knee...i my self am going for therapy for the problem i have with my right knee...well its more on the lateral side of the right knee when i really try to squat. they believe its a miniscus tear but before though it was IT band syndrome.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Natureboypkr

Natureboypkr

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
so with your program it causes toommuch stree on the body????

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rocky: I'll have to tinker a bit to get it right as I didn't really think too hard about days 3&4. Main thing is that I'm noticing that my recruitment sucks. I tried 1arm pushups the other day for the first time in ages and couldn't get my usual 6 on each side. This tells me that I'm not getting the muscles around the shoulder working right.

Imran: You have seen my post-knee-op photo right? I'll continue to have to be carefull about my knee for the rest of my life (if I want to avoid having a knee replacement). As for your meniscus tear, treat it with kids gloves. My meniscectomy was to the lateral posterior horn of the tibial bone. As a result I can expect a 70% higher chance of arthritis in the knee, 40% higher chance of that occurring before 40yrs of age. But with proper exercise I decrease that to the same chances a sedentry person has (which is lower than sports people but higher than active people).

Natureboy: Um kinda. Remember I have a long history of injuries (I'm not exactly robust as I had hernia operations when I was 7&8), have a PhD to finish, and am running a full time job that has seen a fair bit of overtime (evening meetings), combined with a demanding routine. So right at this moment it is too much stress, but at a different time it may be different.

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Your drive and perseverance are most impressive Tim. Rehabbing from serious operation is impressive, Working full time can be a challenge to working out too, top that off with going for a phD, man its amazing. Keep up the good work. You're an inspiration man.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ryeland: thanks for the compliments! Your comments are a good lead in to.....

I have doubts. Yes it seems strange but I find myself staring in the mirror or looking at the olympic bar (no mirror in my weights area, that was figurative) and wondering why I do this to myself.

Everyday I see people that are perfectly happy with their shape, their strength, their complete lack of arms, and how little effort they put into being that way. To the cool calm exterior I am the same, but like the metaphor of the duck, my legs are working overtime under the surface. Just to keep my body from looking like an anemic 16yr olds I now have to lift heavy. Sure some people may lift heavier, but I've seen others achieve results with lighter stuff.

So I find myself thinking; do I really need to be putting this much weight on the bar. Does it really have to take this much effort to keep my thighs? Do I really have to tie half my bodyweight around my waist to make dips and chins hard? Wouldn't it be great if I could just train a bit lighter so that I keep my muscle, still had good strength, and didn't put so much strain on my body.

Don't get me wrong, I like being ahead of the norm, I like being able to do reps with what most people would like as a max. But do I really want to compress my spine all the time with more than double my bodyweight on stuff like deadlifts and squats? Even with my "for reps" weights my squats are around/over 1.5xBW. Doing this all the time can't be good.

Sometimes I have these doubts. Sometimes I think about what it would be like to be a lazy, stupid, fat, ordinary person. Maybe its a curse that I'm not lazy, I'm just prone to procrastinate, I'm not stupid, but the news makes me wish I was just so I wouldn't be so frustrated, and I'm not fat. So thank God I'm not ordinary. I've got to go test my manliness at the power rack.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Natureboy: Good to hear. I have my doubts about training, I'm sure others do too, but I hope I illustrated how to find the resolve to forge on.

Last nights session was ho-hum. I was very tired and slept 10hrs last night, so clearly my heart wasn't in it. At least the legs session the night before was good.

Warmups:
Arm swings, cuban presses, bar rows, bar OH presses, sternum chins, band pulls, band flys.
Bench
60x2
80x2
100x2
Row
50x2 (BB)
42x2
52x2

Work sets (alternated)
Bench
110x3
100x6
110x3
90x8
90x5

Row
55x3
45x9
55x3
45x8
45x6

Pushup
Fatman Row/pullup

Tricep thingy (grab bar in rack and do ext with BW)
Bicep curl
50x5
50x5
Forearm wrist roller
19x1
19x1

And yes all weights are in kilograms. So multiply by 2.2 for pounds.

Natureboypkr

Natureboypkr

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
cuban presses we used to do a lot of those back in Cuba, nice testostrone boosting workout

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tim290280 said:
Sometimes I have these doubts. Sometimes I think about what it would be like to be a lazy, stupid, fat, ordinary person. Maybe its a curse that I'm not lazy, I'm just prone to procrastinate, I'm not stupid, but the news makes me wish I was just so I wouldn't be so frustrated, and I'm not fat. So thank God I'm not ordinary. I've got to go test my manliness at the power rack.

CLAP CLAP. That tops off the whole article there. So true man, we all get those doubts. Wouldn't life be much more relaxing if were just ignorant? But where is the challenge in that? Bring it i say.

Tim you just lit a fire under my ass, to go to the gym, and to study (its finals right now, urggghhh).

Keep pushing man.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice session Tim, good variety and rep ranges. Previous post hit it on the head too.

onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Way to listen to your body, Tim. All and the same, I'm sorry to hear about the pains that caused the shift in training structure.

Now for my ignorance-laced question; cuban presses?