• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
:49: Nice training day. My set for the night included Norwegian Wood, Friend of the Devil, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, various Tenacious D songs, Put Your Lights On, House of the Rising Sun, and Hotel California.

I think I'm going to take her sister shopping for the ring and surprise her later. I think they'd both like that.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No Steve Vai or Joe Satriani?
And where are the Phrygian modes?

Nice session! :)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Natureboy: Guitar hero? I hope you don't mean the game and rather are complimenting me!!!

Eric: I don't have a set list, but I do have some favs that come out regularly. Stairway is one of those songs that every kid plays in the guitar store, so its best to know it and not play it! I keep forgetting the second part of the solo though.....

Glex: I think Kielbosa Sausage has to be a must know on guitar!! Yet to learn Norwegian Wood. Also a big fan of "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd. Plus a few exotic things like "The Badger" by the Tea Party.

Rocky: Only know two Satriani songs, and only parts of them at best! Too much guitar wank involved with those guys. I mean who can be bothered getting the wammy bar so precise to get that bouncing effect happening on the phrase in "Surfing with the Alien"? (something that always comes out muddy when I try!)

Okay onto the legs session:

Warmup:
Standard Tim stuff where I spend 15-20mins pissing about doing hip, knee and preporatory stuff before getting to working sets.

Work sets:
Squats
132.5x3
112.5x8
132.5x2
112.5x5

SLDL
115x3
95x8
115x3
95x8

Dynamic lunge
60x6
60x6

Hammy curl (altered dorsiflexion of foot on descent)
19x8
19x8

Forgot to do calves again. And as Evil points out it shows in my physique! They are half and inch smaller than my upper arm (should be roughly the same).

Then went to quizz night, got drunk, and came second. We bombed in the final two rounds after leading all night. Still got a swag of stuff as the top 3 got the same prize packages.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice session good sir Like the up and down weight in each set. My calves suck too. Fair do's on the guitar front. I'm guilty of wanking I'm afraid when it comes to lead. :)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rocky: It is hard to do the up and down, especially the secong round. The set of three is probably ~5RM, but by the second time its a 2RM!!

Serb: I wouldn't be posting them if they were pounds!!! Kilos all the way (so 132.5 = 295, 112.5 = 248, 115 = 254, 95 = 210, 60 = 132)

Glex

Glex

VIP
Glex's secret for big calves: be fat for a few years then grow a foot in height :)

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great session Tim. I see your wave loading. Never tried it but i might give it a go. Dunno if your formiliar with the 1-6 method by poliqiun. Thats the kind of program i might gonna use next time.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tim290280 said:
Serb: I wouldn't be posting them if they were pounds!!! Kilos all the way (so 132.5 = 295, 112.5 = 248, 115 = 254, 95 = 210, 60 = 132)

ok thats a big relief.. cause i wanna gonna make fun of you if they were listed as LBS lol :ughnoes:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim: You have to stop posting while drunk, I picked up several spelling mistakes!

Glex: There are some big guys that just seem to have big calves regardless. A friend of mine has huge calves, especially for a petite girl. She claims its from ballet!

Philo: Yes I have read that one. I think the goal with that is slightly different, as it aims at post tentanic facilitation. This is more Ian King style training.

Serb: And rightly so!!! In pounds that would even be too light for a backoff day. Although it wasn't that long ago that a leg day involved really light stuff. Its been two years since my knee injury. Since that time I went from not being able to squat (or bend my knee) to doing parallel squats with 180kgx8, to then doing ATG with my current stuff (the 132.5kg would be ~5RM). I think that the ATG is so much harder to do, and seems a more natural squat.

Did an upper body workout last night.

But you know I'm not going to comment on it. Instead I'm going to have a brief shot at all the recent knockers on this board. This is all addressed to those that have been critical of "lightweights" giving advice.

I weigh roughly 185lbs (at 12%). Last November I had hit a peak of 190 (didn't test but I thought I was leaner than 12%) when I was touring the USA. I soon after crashed from a double allergic reaction and have only gained back half the weight I lost. Now on my light frame anywhere between 180 and 190 looks quite muscular, but well proportioned. Any heavier and my head starts looking too small.

Of late there has been a number of posts by people condemning lifters for not being heavy enough. These posters are usually naive, stupid, ignorant, or just plain arseholes, but where do they get off having a go at me?! Just because I choose not to be 220lbs this somehow makes my knowledge and experience invalid. By this logic there isn't a trainer on Earth qualified to help some of these guys.

So I'd just like to say; If you think you are so hardcore, if you think you are so big and strong, come and train with me for a week!! If even one of you pathetic losers can walk in my shoes for a week I doubt any of you would open your big fat mouths again!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Glex

Glex

VIP
tim290280 said:
Tim: You have to stop posting while drunk, I picked up several spelling mistakes!
I was wondering about that and all the excessive exclamation points!!! :49:

That's gay about the 'lightweight' knockers; you can still out-squat me and I weigh 30 more pounds than you. I'm sure that goes for others :e5dunno:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yeh I was on a high after the quizz night and couldn't sleep. If I had had to walk home it would have sobered me up for sleep, but we had all these prizes.

As for the knockers; well they keep saying "oh you don't know how to eat and train to get really big", "what experience do you have?" and the like. In all fairness I don't know what it is like to be really big, and to some extents this is a valid argument. Except that the rule book doesn't change, the knowledge learned doesn't change. I haven't competed in a lifting event so I don't comment on that, but I do know where to find out all about how to prepare and can advise.

And yes one of the critiques was bragging about their lifts (190kg deadlift at 110kg) which was inferior to mine at ~15-20kg less bodyweight. I can't claim to be competitively strong, but I have surpassed what is regarded as "good strength" levels (1.5xBW bench, 2.0 squat, 2.5 Dead, 0.5 pullup/chin/dip). Most can't claim this.

And I'm ranting again :gtfoslap:

Actually: My Goals;
For 5 reps (note: not a 5RM but what I could do for 5 reps easily and would consider for a 5x5)
1.5x BW bench
2.0x BW ATG squat
1.5x BW ATG front squat
1.5x BW SLDL (back straight version, slight knee bend)
0.5+BW Chinup, pullup (dip is already at this level and don't really have a goal for it)

General
90-100kg snatch
120-40kg clean
110kg+ jerk
Improve dynamic lunge to previous static lunge level (100kgx5)
Do a one arm chin (Tweak you have inspired me!)

Don't really have a deadlift goal, but would like somewhere in the order of 210kgx5.
Would also like to go into a commercial gym again and clean my front squat weight to the shoulder and perform my set. I think that would wow a few people and stoke my petty inner ego.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well I lifted this evening in a really short session. Basically did some snatches and C&J's. The snatch was good up until the 80kg mark. The C&J went flying up for 90kg, and I'd guess I was good for 95-100kg depending on how well I get my hands set on the bar. Oh and 90kgx2 on the C&J is a PB!!!

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Congrats on the PB - that's some impressive lifting for sure.
Don't worry about the "heavyweight" idiots. I weight a lot less than people think so I haven't weighed myself for months to avoid the "I thought you'd be more than that" sneers. If you look it and can lift it, who cares about the bodyweight. Keep doing what you're doing fella, you know what you're doing and it's working which is what counts.

Natureboypkr

Natureboypkr

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:xyxthumbs: awesome , if i live where you liced you would be my trainer

German_Joe

German_Joe

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rocky said:
Congrats on the PB - that's some impressive lifting for sure.
Don't worry about the "heavyweight" idiots. I weight a lot less than people think so I haven't weighed myself for months to avoid the "I thought you'd be more than that" sneers. If you look it and can lift it, who cares about the bodyweight. Keep doing what you're doing fella, you know what you're doing and it's working which is what counts.

i know alot of people get caught up on weight, i think the best way of gauging yourself is the mirror and how you feel :xyxthumbs: .

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Glex: Thanks!

Rocky: Thanks! Compared to how many PB's you've been racking up though.......... Oh and I think it is just one of those internet war things. Every noob seems to be a +240lb monster with a 500 bench, in reality they probably still live at home in their parents basement, and have never lifted in their lives.

Natureboy: It would be good to have a training partner again!!! With someone like you there I'd have to find something extra every session :xyxthumbs:

German Joe: Thats a good point! At various times people have thought I weighed far more than I actually do. Then again I underestimated Tweak's weight yesterday.

It was back into the swing again last night. It was an interesting start to the evening when I was pulling on the rope to tie the weight around my waist. Short story short, the rope broke and smashed a hole in the floor padding I have! Good thing I have the reflexes of a nervous cat on amphetamines. So the session had to continue with a shorter rope once I was able to splice the ends together.

Upper body day:
Warmup;
General Tim warmup maddness, except done in front of the news on TV. It was cold outside and the Federal Budget was being reported and we are looking to buy a house, so wanted to know what was going on with that.

Worksets;
Dips
BW x10
32.5kg x4
BW x10
32.5kg x3

Pullups
BW x10
32.5kg x3
BW x10
32.5kg x1 (need to repeat this next week)

Single arm OHP
32kg x6
32kg x5

Thick grip chins
BWx3
BWx3
BWx3

Single leg Donkey Calf raise
32.5x10
32.5x8
32.5x6

V raises
7kg x6
6kg x8

Bicep curl
22kg x10
22kg x10

OH Tricep ext
22kg x6
22kg x6

Band ext for bi's, tri's, chest, middle back, and external rotors

Later in the evening I measured my legs. It is now two years since I injured my knee! My upper thigh measured 26" cold, and the lower VMO's are now both equal at just over 17". My calves are smaller than they used to be at right on 16". So I can now start worrying about other things. I'm thinking I need bigger arms, calves, more middle and lower back (traps and lats), and just a bit more chest.

Glex

Glex

VIP
tim290280 said:
Single arm OHP
32kg x6
32kg x5
What are these? I did a few searches and couldn't figure it out :confused: Overhead press, maybe? Overhead projector? That's what google is telling me :hhj:

That's great about your legs getting back to normal :xyxthumbs:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Basically OHP stands for overhead press. I prefer it as a term instead of shoulder presses, as it is more accurate. I'm doing them single arm for a couple of reasons. I seem to have a bit of shoulder strength lacking, and my right side is stronger, so doing them independently illicits a stronger isolateral workout. The second is that I have dumbbells that have screw on ends, so the end cap has lovely bits that stick into your thigh when getting ready to hoist to the shoulder. When the bells get heavy they get harder to manouvere because of this, so having them lighter than I would normally use is a good thing.

I'm pleased that the legs are back to normal too :hsughr: Nothing like two years of hard work paying off, especially as I'm probably stronger through a greater ROM, and I don't seem to have the inner thigh rubbing I used to get.