• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
sweet snatches timmy clean and jerks are cool as well. If you wanted to focus more on weightlifting and less on studies I think you'd take tunen for being meccas strongest pound for pound. Shame there isn't more insentive lol.

never :imcoolurnot:

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
meccas strongest gotta be braaq though, come on he deadlifts 270 kg and benches 140 kg for 12-15 reps on a fucking incline lol...

tunen is megastrong too though, probably second strongest on the board, insane at the squats and deads for sure.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
meccas strongest gotta be braaq though, come on he deadlifts 270 kg and benches 140 kg for 12-15 reps on a fucking incline lol...

tunen is megastrong too though, probably second strongest on the board, insane at the squats and deads for sure.

i was thinking pound for pound. braq is 245lb isnt he where tunen is only 215 or so. I guess braq would still work out stronger but it would be close. then i forgot completely about scoular. He who does 3 times his bodyweight for some of his majors.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks for the kind words Pickle!

Bulkboy I think you miss an important point: Braaq's lifts proportional to bodyweight, while strong, are not huge. Pound for Pound means that a 550lb deadlift (I don't know where the 270kg came from, unless he added 50lb to it in a week) by a 240lb lifter is equal to a 435lb deadlift by a 190lb lifter. The last time I deadlifted I pulled 200kg.

I think it is also worth noting my tags. I don't use wraps, straps, belts, spotters, prohormones, etc, etc. Gotta really compare apples with apples.

For my money Tunen is the strongest, but Pickle may be right with Scholar being strongest.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
i try not to use straps :disgust: but my grip isnt strong enough yet :keke:

Nice work with no aids tim!

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
get some vids up when ur flu is completely shaken off. p.s you could take tunen. Aussie pride.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bulkboy I think you miss an important point: Braaq's lifts proportional to bodyweight, while strong, are not huge. Pound for Pound means that a 550lb deadlift (I don't know where the 270kg came from, unless he added 50lb to it in a week) by a 240lb lifter is equal to a 435lb deadlift by a 190lb lifter. The last time I deadlifted I pulled 200kg.

I did, in a way, i was only repping 550lbs for a few on deads for just a bit. Then jumped up to doing 585 yesterday. But still regardless of a person's weight, 500 or 600 lbs is still huge in any aspect just not as "impressive" if performed by a lighter lifter. But, on the point, I tell people the same thing at my gym all the time. Even though my numbers are higher, I weight 245 whereas others way 160, 185, etc and their lifts in comparison to their body weight are just as good if not better than my own.

tim290280 said:
I think it is also worth noting my tags. I don't use wraps, straps, belts, spotters, prohormones, etc, etc. Gotta really compare apples with apples.

Completely true, and that just makes your lifts that much more impressive as well. :tiphat:

tim290280 said:
For my money Tunen is the strongest, but Pickle may be right with Scholar being strongest.

Pound for pound Scholar's one max lifts I last saw would be the strongest. But for being completely natural and for reps I would have to agree with you that Tunen is the strongest as well.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Skeptic: I have a philosophy; if I can't hold it in my hands I can't really lift it. Your hands can never really get strong unless you throw away the straps and get the hands up to speed. Yes it may limit your max strength on deadlifts, but that should be all. I see people doing chinups and rows with straps and that is just lame in my book.

And it's good not to have aids....:carduindisguise

Pickle: I've got a vid or two on my home computer that I'll upload at some stage. One is of me benching the other of me snatching. I would like to take some more but I am training in the evening when the lighting is just no good outside. Plus I wonder how well uploading vids to Youtube is perceived by my boss....

Braaq: I have to admit that I'm looking forward to the Olympics to see the weightlifters. Nothing like seeing a little chinese girl clean and jerk my max deadlift. The guys that are weighing the same as me have front squats that make my deadlift look lame and double my C&J. So yes while we may both be considered strong for our weight we really aren't. And I think it is important for people to realise that lest people sell their own abilities short.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Yeah mate thats what i was doing for ages... but my grip strength just takes so long to increase haha. Deads are the only thing i use straps for... and even then its only for the heavier working sets.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm with ya on the no straps side. Maybe that's because I've always had good grip strength- my grip hasn't failed me yet.

Glad to see you around the board more.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks Arcane; good to be back.

The question becomes though: have you always had a strong grip or did your grip just develop well because you never used straps?

Skeptic I know that grip can take awhile, but the thing is the best grip strengthener is the really heavy work. Deads, farmers walks, anything with a thick bar, grippers are all good and the straps used on any of them just limit you in the long run. And lets face it, we want big deadlift numbers to be strong, not so that when we actually have to be strong we have to run and get our straps and gloves and belt and maybe a blanky.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Thanks Arcane; good to be back.

The question becomes though: have you always had a strong grip or did your grip just develop well because you never used straps?

Skeptic I know that grip can take awhile, but the thing is the best grip strengthener is the really heavy work. Deads, farmers walks, anything with a thick bar, grippers are all good and the straps used on any of them just limit you in the long run. And lets face it, we want big deadlift numbers to be strong, not so that when we actually have to be strong we have to run and get our straps and gloves and belt and maybe a blanky.

In total agreement with that, grip strength only comes with gripping. I think straps have their place in deads when your back can keep on going but your grip has gone to jelly but these lifts really shouldn't be counted as your 'max lifts'. Having said that, I won't do heavy deads without my belt, but the right side of my back is fucked and it can get really painful without a belt.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
El Freako: good that we're on the same page as well! I'll post up an article in the articles section soon on using belts. It is a review done by Dr Stuart McGill who is the preeminent expert in the field of back research and blasts a few myths.:xyxthumbs:

I was meant to train last night. My flu is still in the background giving me niggles and it was raining and dark when I went to do battle with the weights. I have trained in the rain before and it really isn't worth it; the ground gets too slippery and your hands get soft and tear from the moisture.

Next week I'm at a conference (organising and presenting some research) so I don't know that I'll get the free time I need to actually train. There is a gym next to the conference location and I have trained there before (they don't like weightlifting because they have no bumper plates:crymeariver:) but I'll have to see how it all goes. Worst case I'll be 100% when I get back and ready to lift again.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I think it's a bit of both. My dad's always had very strong hands, so I assume a bit comes from there. However, I've never used straps or gloves and I guess my hands have always been able to progress at a rate fast enough to keep up with my lifts.

I used to arm wrestle a lot with friends throughout middle school and up until a few years ago, so maybe that helped out too. :wutyousay:

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm with ya on the no straps side. Maybe that's because I've always had good grip strength- my grip hasn't failed me yet.

Glad to see you around the board more.

i dont understand why u would sacrifice back development only for ur own ego, i mean, thats what it is, straps is a great tool to make sure ur forearms dont die out before ur back, just my two cents:tiphat: also alot of guys have short fingers(myself included) im having a hard time getting a good grip around the bar, so for me straps are very useful:)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sorry Bulkboy, but let me get this straight.

You want to be weaker in the very part of the body that makes possible strength in the rest of the body (primarily upper body)? If you read about proprioception and loading in the science literature you would see that we receive feedback from our feet and hands when lifting to balance and recruit muscles.

I keep hearing this argument that "My hands give out before my back". So get stronger hands!!! Don't use a crutch just because you can't be bothered spending the time and effort improving your grip. You end up with a back that has no useful strength. Now this may not matter so much in BBing but this is also what is wrong with BBing. There used to be a direct link between BBing, weightlifting and powerlifting as the athletes usually trained in all the disciplines. Big, strong, athletes, that looked good.

By the way, the last time I did rack deadlifts, it sure as hell wasn't my grip that was limiting me. So if I can build up my grip strength, why can't anyone else?

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I haven't read through your log but what are your goals as far as your training goes and have you set any goals to accomplish with in the year?

:tiphat:

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i dont understand why u would sacrifice back development only for ur own ego, i mean, thats what it is, straps is a great tool to make sure ur forearms dont die out before ur back, just my two cents:tiphat: also alot of guys have short fingers(myself included) im having a hard time getting a good grip around the bar, so for me straps are very useful:)

What makes you think I'm sacrificing back development or that I have an ego? I have long fingers and a strong grip- I haven't had any use for straps. My current grip strength is good enough for any weight that I'd be able to deadlift (or w/e exercise) as of now.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sorry Bulkboy, but let me get this straight.

You want to be weaker in the very part of the body that makes possible strength in the rest of the body (primarily upper body)? If you read about proprioception and loading in the science literature you would see that we receive feedback from our feet and hands when lifting to balance and recruit muscles.

I keep hearing this argument that "My hands give out before my back". So get stronger hands!!! Don't use a crutch just because you can't be bothered spending the time and effort improving your grip. You end up with a back that has no useful strength. Now this may not matter so much in BBing but this is also what is wrong with BBing. There used to be a direct link between BBing, weightlifting and powerlifting as the athletes usually trained in all the disciplines. Big, strong, athletes, that looked good.

By the way, the last time I did rack deadlifts, it sure as hell wasn't my grip that was limiting me. So if I can build up my grip strength, why can't anyone else?

its not about me not bothering about grip. i actually do alittle grip training even, i have some pretty hard "grippers" so i try to make it better. but i have pretty short hands and even though my grip is pretty strong, i tend to get problems when i go very heavy on deads. i do the warmup sets and as much as i can without the straps, but when i get past 140-150 kg it becomes a real problem for me, and i dont want to sacrifice back development because of that:tiphat: its also worth noting that i dont use a locking grip on deads, i could lift more without straps had i used that, but i choose not to use such a grip because of personal preference. dont worry tim, i know the importance of strong forearms and grip, so i dont neglect it. but how tall are u? cuz long people tend to have bigger hands, thus making the grip thing less of an issue, for example my training partner is 190 cm tall and for him its easy to get his hands around the bar and hold it tight, im on the other hand is 174 cm and its harder for me naturally. i just view straps as a valuable tool for me, and also i train for bodybuilding and physical development exclusively:tiphat:

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What makes you think I'm sacrificing back development or that I have an ego? I have long fingers and a strong grip- I haven't had any use for straps. My current grip strength is good enough for any weight that I'd be able to deadlift (or w/e exercise) as of now.

ok the ego thing was alittle over the line, i guess its much a personal preference, good for you if u have long fingers and its easy:tiphat: wish i had longer fingers:crymeariver: