• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

Lionheart

Lionheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Strong chins and dips again Tim.Incline curls looking good also:xmaswiggle:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
PV: Thanks dude, I love doing them as a superset.

tkD: Thanks man, I'm hoping that my dips will go up since I haven't done them in awhile and they aren't agrivating my shoulder.

El Freako: Yeh I saw TMOC when they were doing pub gigs back in the day. They rocked hard. Bunch of engineers that had some good songs. Unfortunately they all kind of sounded the same aside from 4-5 key songs. Don't know what happened to them after about 1998.

Skeptic: I want to get more weight on those dips, but the deadhang chins are pretty decent.

Prizefighter: Yeh gyms don't cater to real lifters, they cater to housewives. You could try making some handles that can be attached to the dumbbells. I took mine to the gym on occassion, it was worth it for the funny looks I got.

Lionheart: I have no idea what a good curl weight is. I've seen figures on what it is meant to be in relation to BW, but I've always regarded those as rather light values or plain ridiculous.

Interesting story I have to relate on curls and extensions. After I did my knee I lost about 8-10kg and couldn't walk. I joined the university gym (access to equipment I needed for rehab) and started trying to regain size and strength. When I was there for that couple of months there was always this group of kids/guys training at the same time as me. I swear I never saw them do anything other than arms. Continuous workouts of preacher curls, incline curls, etc, etc, etc. Anyway I left and went back to training at home. About 2yrs later I came back to train there while I was away from home. These same guys were still there training doing the same stuff with the same weights (well maybe a little bigger and heavier). Meanwhile I was 15kg heavier and a hell of a lot stronger. The look on one of the guys faces when he recognised me said it all. The next day said even more when he announced to his mates that they needed to start squatting (I had squatted the day before).

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Samoan: Here's some encouragement; I've added 50kg rack deadlift, 30kg to my deadlift and 20kg to my ATG squats from just working my hammys better.

Yeah im definately moving some hammy work in at least once a week try to go for twice.

And excellent session tim I especially love the dips.

Natureboypkr

Natureboypkr

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I really like the chin-ups because you dont see too many people doing them from a dead-hang.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm liking your soundtracks bro, I'm gonna have to download some of these

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Samoan: If you get the hammy work right you'll start to feel them on all sorts of quad exercises too, like leg presses and lunges. Prior to getting my hammys up to speed I felt my glutes more in leg presses and lunges. And my arse is big enough already:xmascrunk:

Natureboy: Yeh I have dropped about 10kg off the chinup in order to do the deadhang. I do both styles normally but the first rep would always have a stretch reflex to it. I wanted to eliminate this to aid in the incorporation of my shoulder rehab into larger movement patterns.

Bambam: I like to think of myself as a music snob. I was raised rock/blues and country so I generally like music that has energy or soul or both.

So I was hung over this morning and it was hot here all day and I did a fair bit of work. Needless to say the training was pedestrian. I knew it was going to be so I moved up to upper body instead of legs. Better to do something a little less challenging than snatches etc. The bench was just plain hard work, but on the plus side I added 5kg to my standing overhead press.

Bench
20kg x20
60kg x10
80kg x8
100kg x6 (really lacked energy so didn't push it and did a wave loading to get more out of the sets)
110kg x3
100kg x5
110kg x3
100kg x5

W holds
5kg x5 (10sec)
5kg x5 (10sec)
5kg x5 (10sec)

Thick bar DB row
20kg x10
40kg x10
50kg x6
50kg x6
50kg x6
50kg x6

OHP
60kg x5
60kg x4

Soundtrack:
Saw this guy last night. Funny little fucker.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice session tim, but whats the W holds?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ W holds. Basically they are a shoulder exercise for the rear delts, mid and lower traps and rhomboids. Grab a pair of DBs (light, really gay-ly light) and contract your shoulders down and back so that your arms form a W shape. Then lean and squat forward (like a GM) and hold the contraction against gravity for time.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Great stuff Tim, Im definitely trying those W holds :xyxthumbs:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Natureboypkr

Natureboypkr

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice benching there buddy. It seems that your shoulder is getting better from the weight you're using.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
El Freako: I'm hoping that my benching will actually start to get back to what it was soon. The shoulder feels fine and the new setup I have seems to be better for chest recruitment.

DA: There is actually an article that someone wrote on T-nation about shoulder savers. TJ posted a link to it in Creators thread. You can do them as part of a complex T-V-W. Take a look as they are really good for stopping the little problems arising (as long as you don't get lazy like I did).

Natureboy: It feels better but that is still light for me. Last time I was doing 10 reps with 100kg it was as a drop set.

Last night I worked out what has been screwing with my snatch and C&J. Basically once the weight gets heavy I'm able to get the pull (or push for the jerk) going fine. The problem is that I pull too long such that I don't pull myself under the bar at the right moment. This is leading to failed lifts. I'll have to read my book a bit more and work out some practice routines to fix this. At least I know why my snatch is sucking! I can almost hang snatch as much as I power snatch.

Box jumps (leap over side to side 22" box)
10x sideways
10x sideways
10x sideways
5x front/back
5x front/back

Snatch
60kg x5
70kg x2
80kg x1
85kg x1
90kg xfail (got under but didn't lock arms)
90kg xfail (didn't get under)

C&J
90kg x2
100kg x1
100kg x1

Front squat from the clean
100kg x1

Split squat
100kg x5
105kg x5 PB (I think)
105kg x2 (done after hammy curls so a bit unsteady to get all 5)

Donkey calf raise single leg
40kg x8
60kg x8 (+10 db)
60kg x8 (+12 db)
60kg x8 (+15 db)

Hammy curl
27.5kg x5
27.5kg x5

Soundtrack:

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Gotta love those box jumps! Good sessions Tim, I love this log because I always learn new exercises coolsanta

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Shit bro nice one but.... Me + Box Jumps = Broken box and pain.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Prizefighter: Signup for the NSCA free newsletter. It occassionally has some new exercises or interesting stuff. Although read carefully in some of their articles. They have had a couple recently that are just plain wrong (mainly because the author is full of shit not the NSCA's fault).

Samoan: You cold start off with a low box or even just agility ladders. Although you are about equal to 2xMe so it might be a bit hard on your joints. It's one of the reasons why I don't want to be huge, all the BBers lose a heap of weight once they retire, they get that you can't be huge all of your life. Although you Samoan guys manage it!

Trained upper body last night and woke up this morning with a few aches and pains. An old shoulder seperation spot is a little tetchy again for some reason (didn't do anything to it). So I'll probably give the weights a miss tonight, which makes this the last session I'll do until after Xmas. Couple of weeks off and I should be rarring to go again in the new year.

Thanks to everyone who has stopped by this year and read about what I do. Hopefully you've picked something up, gotten a bit clued into my mindset, enjoyed some of the music, and that you've been encouraged to lift stronger and smarter. Hope everyone is still out there lifting with me in the new year!

Upper

Iso holds
2.5kg x5 (10sec)
2.5kg x5 (10sec)
2.5kg x5 (10sec)

Chinups
BW x5
20kg x5
30kg x5
40kg x4
40kg x4 (realised I wasn't getting 5 so dropped off)
20kg x7

supersetted with

Dips
BWx10
20kg x5
30kg x5
40kg x5
40kg x5
20kg x10

Scarecrows
6kg x7
6kg x8

Incline db curl
22kg x6
22kg x5

supersetted with

OH db tricep ext
22kg x7
22kg x8

Soundtrack:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice last session for the year man! hope all ur aches and pains go away and i cant wait to see what u have in store for 2009!

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice Session bro I will be squatting into the new year seriously I have set up a leg session from 11:30 -12:20 on news years eve lmao.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
PV: thanks dude but read the story below......

Samoan: Good luck with the squatting!!! I'm away from home so I won't be squatting, in fact read below, I may not be lifting for awhile longer than anticipated.

Well I'm on holidays and we were taking the dog for a walk this morning. We went to a park that had a sprint track marked out on it. So I felt the urge to do some sprints. The first one was a short 60m sprint and my pace was slow. The second one was going to be the full 100m and done flat out.......

That was until about 50-55m in where I tore my left hammy and then on the next pace tore the right. I can't really sit or stand properly now. Kinda lame. In hindsight I should have warmed up more, but hindsight is known for it's 20/20ness. So given the level of pain and general discomfort I'm guessing that I'll be ok for most activities in a week or two but my poundages will take a hammering and I'll need to be careful not to re-tear them by trying too hard too quickly.

And no Ben it was not because I'm old!!!

Well maybe a little.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Damn that sucks man! just take it easy and rest up old ma....i mean big boy :keke:

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
PV: thanks dude but read the story below......

Samoan: Good luck with the squatting!!! I'm away from home so I won't be squatting, in fact read below, I may not be lifting for awhile longer than anticipated.

Well I'm on holidays and we were taking the dog for a walk this morning. We went to a park that had a sprint track marked out on it. So I felt the urge to do some sprints. The first one was a short 60m sprint and my pace was slow. The second one was going to be the full 100m and done flat out.......

That was until about 50-55m in where I tore my left hammy and then on the next pace tore the right. I can't really sit or stand properly now. Kinda lame. In hindsight I should have warmed up more, but hindsight is known for it's 20/20ness. So given the level of pain and general discomfort I'm guessing that I'll be ok for most activities in a week or two but my poundages will take a hammering and I'll need to be careful not to re-tear them by trying too hard too quickly.

And no Ben it was not because I'm old!!!

Well maybe a little.

... tore as in it peeled from the tendon and rolled or pulled it?

cause you said tore and that's months of recovery.