• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tim's Journeyman Log

X

Xiva

Banned
You should record your snatches/cleans, it's all lift's where you need a good form, and it would be awesome to se you do it :)

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
^I think he already has some vids. Look back through his log.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ben: My back is fried today! I'd like to hit 160kgx8 soon.

Xiva: As Ben mentions I have got a few vids of them, plus I did put a couple of photos up recently (ish). Just have a flick back through the pages, although the soundtracks have disappeared on a couple. I do have some better footage and I never recorded max sets or PB's so I will post some more stuff in the future.

Oh and the snatches and C&J's were just a warmup with the bar to see how my wrist is faring. I need to practice these again and get myself doing them full squat style.

Upper DE

Skipping
4mins

Complexes

W holds
2.5kg x5 10sec
5kg x5 x2 10sec

Floor press
60kg x5
80kg x5
100kg x2
120kg x2
130kg x2
140kg x2
95kg x2 8 sets

Thick bar DB press
37kg x5
45kg x5
55kg x5
60kg x5 4 sets

Handstand pushup
BW x4 2 sets
BW x3 2 sets

Pullups
BW x12 lame
BW x8 super lame

Dips
BW x15
BW x15

Soundtrack:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Solid sessions are always part of this awesome log, keep at it Timmy! love you

X

Xiva

Banned
Aight, i'll do that then :)

Solid session today.

Got a question bro.

I've been told you're a smart guy that knows his shit :)

What are you opinion at amino acids?

Personally i've been thinking about trying Beta Alanine and BCAA.

I first belived that it wasn't worth it in the beginning, but i saw some pretty interessting studies lately.

Would you recommend any amino acids?

And btw, what supplements do you use your self?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Jono: good to see you back in the logs :tiphat:

Xiva: You're going to have to tell me your real name dude.
Amino acids are kinda overrated. We already get decent profiles of them in stuff like whey protein and good old meat.

Beta-alanine seems to have some good support for its use. Bit early to say how good it is, but I haven't seen any bad science or science saying it sucks.

BCAA I posted a roundtable discussion thread from the NSCA J St & Cond in the articles section. Basic summary was that most nutritionists are not sold on their need over and above normal protein sources. Leucine however there is a call for over and above, but this isn't 100% certain yet.

Personally I take ZMA, Glucosamine and Fish Oil everyday. Then I take a pre-WO shake of whey isolate + creatine in water. Then PWO I take a whey blend (isolate+conc) in milk with some dextrose.

Today I squatted and was non-plused about lifting at all.

Warmups

Skipping
4mins

Complexes

Walking lunges

Snatches and C&J

Squat
60kg x5
100kg x5
110kg x2
120kg x2
130kg x1
135kg x1
140kg x1
145kg x1
150kg x1
155kg x1
120kg x5 - suck, this should have been 8-10 reps.

Single leg calf raise
37kg x8
40kg x8 3 sets

Walking lunges
60kg x20m 2 sets

Soundtrack:

X

Xiva

Banned
Nice round buddy!

To bad with the squating, you'll have it next time.

My name is Mike btw :)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Hi Mike. Another Mike, we seem to have quite a few.

I've decided to start 5/3/1 tomorrow. I got one of the spreadsheets and added it to my log, only to find it is full of holes. Seriously what is so hard, Jim steps people through the setup so well. So cleaning up the formulaes now and changing so that it rounds by 2.5kg rather than 5lbs.

X

Xiva

Banned
5/3/1 sounds like a good thing for a man with your stength level. Usally i think that way to many people that starts at 5/3/1 are to weak for the program and will be better off with another program. But for you i think it's a good choice.

Anyway my english aint that great, but "Leucine however there is a call for over and above, but this isn't 100% certain yet."

Does that mean you would recommend it?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I don't know that 5/3/1 isn't for beginners or that you need any level of strength. But you do need to have enough time under the bar to have a real 1RM and to have spent time learning the lifts. Most people want to be big or strong immediately and don't want to spend the hours learning the skills.

On the leucine: I wouldn't recommend it but it could be of value.

Basically the science seems to be supporting its use. But at what given level of value over and above an already supplemented diet?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
5/3/1 sounds like a good thing for a man with your stength level. Usally i think that way to many people that starts at 5/3/1 are to weak for the program and will be better off with another program. But for you i think it's a good choice.

Anyway my english aint that great, but "Leucine however there is a call for over and above, but this isn't 100% certain yet."

Does that mean you would recommend it?

Wendler actually developed 5/3/1 as an "everyman routine", and several other experts have backed it as such. Its great for beginner-intermediates and upwards. I do however believe that rank-beginners are better off with something like Rippetoe's Starting Strength or Bill Starr's 5x5 routines.

Timbo: welcome to the Church Of Wendler. :borat: I like your new tag.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
another devote follower of the church of wendler i see:keke: hope the program delivers tim. cant wait to see how u do on it. oh and strong floor presses and deadlifts these last couple of days. keep up the good work mate!

X

Xiva

Banned
Wendler actually developed 5/3/1 as an "everyman routine", and several other experts have backed it as such. Its great for beginner-intermediates and upwards. I do however believe that rank-beginners are better off with something like Rippetoe's Starting Strength or Bill Starr's 5x5 routines.

Timbo: welcome to the Church Of Wendler. :borat: I like your new tag.

5/3/1 can be used by everybody, i never said that it couldn't. But like you say your self i believe that newbies/people that aren't strong yet! will be better off with something else.

F

FinnGasolin

5/3/1 can be used by everybody, i never said that it couldn't. But like you say your self i believe that newbies/people that aren't strong yet! will be better off with something else.

But Wendler's program can be used just as much as rookie-program as Bill Starr and Rippetoe! The main idea is to gain basic strength and size through compound exercises - and not (so) much else.

X

Xiva

Banned
But Wendler's program can be used just as much as rookie-program as Bill Starr and Rippetoe! The main idea is to gain basic strength and size through compound exercises - and not (so) much else.

People that aren't that strong, which usally is because they haven't trained for that long time. Will be better of with lower itensity and higher volume, that's why i wouldn't recommend 5/3/1 to newbies.

Another reason that newbies wont be just as good off with 5/3/1 as with something else is because that singels aren't really the best option for beginners. You need a certain level of strength before you should consider doing singels.

F

FinnGasolin

People that aren't that strong, which usally is because they haven't trained for that long time. Will be better of with lower itensity and higher volume, that's why i wouldn't recommend 5/3/1 to newbies.

Another reason that newbies wont be just as good off with 5/3/1 as with something else is because that singels aren't really the best option for beginners. You need a certain level of strength before you should consider doing singels.

If you find yourself doing singles in 5/3/1 - you better be doing you 6th or 9th cycle :)

I'm not disagreeing with you - I think that most rookies are better off with a solid base, but I still believe that Wendler's program, after a break-in period, could be that solid base!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
If you find yourself doing singles in 5/3/1 - you better be doing you 6th or 9th cycle :)

I'm not disagreeing with you - I think that most rookies are better off with a solid base, but I still believe that Wendler's program, after a break-in period, could be that solid base!

I think newbs really need to start off with a good fullbody routine and higher reps so they can learn the movements and their own muscles, but after 8-12 weeks of that 5/3/1 is their oyster! :borat:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Discussion....... My 2 cents is that Jim actually states in his manual that this isn't for rank beginners but is for beginners with some experience (a base to lift from) through to advanced lifters (non competitive, and not geared lifters). I'd be inclined to take his word for it since it is a basic periodisation and progression template which is really out of the needs and reach of beginners who really need to learn to lift first. I agree that stronger guys are likely to get more out of it though, as it is simple yet retains elements of more complicated protocols.

Anyway my first day of 5/3/1 kicked my arse. Since when is three work sets meant to be this hard? Especially considering how light these are.

Warmups

Skipping
3mins

Complexes

Snatch and C&J

ATG squats
60kg x5
80kg x5

97.5kg x5
112.5kg x5
127.5kg x7 - I suck at reps over 3.

GM
60kg x12 5 sets

SL standing calf raise
40kg x8 4 sets

Walking lunges
50kg x20m 3 sets - glad I dropped 10kg off these, I was done halfway across the lawn on the last set.

Soundtrack:

Saw an interview with Kid Rock last night and was impressed with him. Can see why he gets on well with the country guys. He won me over with his take on doing covers "You can't make Back in Black better, just don't go there."