• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Guitars

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
playing Classical style music. Studying classical music.. how its written etc... and utilizing its integral parts. Generally refered to playing Leads and solo's.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
its not really a tone of guitar... its more WHAT you play.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
how does one create the neoclassical sound on guitar?

It's not a specific sound - it's just another genre. It's basically the playing of classical movements on the guitar, often still with an orchestral backing and generally using a distortion effect.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Its always fun. When you play that for people they just assume you're wanking the guitar though :disgust:

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ive seen a few pieces from that, it is indeed great! All hail the outlandish swede... creator of neo-classical shred haha :hsughr:

Im not a huge fan of satch... nothing to do with his skill.. i just think his music gets a bit boring and repetitive.

You like Jason Becker Rocky?

I just realkised the first part of my post was a response to post from nearly 4 weeks ago! :49:

I know what you mean about Satch, however it's the tone he gets on his guitar that stands out to me. His playing has gone away from the virtuoso and more just simple melodywork.

I don't think I've heard of Becker?!

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
how does one create the neoclassical sound on guitar?

Check this out. This is one of the songs from the concert I mentioned a while ago which is truly awesome - this isn't even one of the better ones on the concert. He composed the orchestral music aswell:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Satch is a theory genius though lol can never take that shit away form him haha

Jason becker has Lou Garretts disease (however the spelling) and has had it for the best part of a bout 15 years lol i doubt he'll ever play again... but heres some cool stuff

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
this is my favourite piece from what he did with the Phillharmonic: Cavallino Rampante

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with Satch - plus the influence he's had on subsequent guitarists can't be underestimated also.

Becker is quite handy isn't he. Who has he played with?

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
He was in the David Lee Roth band for awhile... Jason and Marty Friedman were the shred duo Cacophony as well.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP

one of my favourite Yngwie songs

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Without scouring through the thread, I don't know if he's been brought up but Nuno Bettencourt is a damn good guitarist. Some of his stuff is really tricky to play.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
hehe no hasnt been brought up yet. i dont really know anything about him apart from that hes amazing haha

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
hehe no hasnt been brought up yet. i dont really know anything about him apart from that hes amazing haha

Yeah 'Extreme' pretty much overshadowed his subsequent solo work, but if you listen to some Extreme tracks his guitar work (major fan of pinched harmonics he be!) is exemplary. As I said - it's quite tricky to recreate quite a bit of it.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
hehe yeah, Zakk Wylde is great with the good ol' pinch harmonics

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
^^ http://www.musclemecca.com/showthread.php/vh1-rock-honors-zak-wylde-sucks-9436.html?t=9436

Rush is my favorite band, and Alex lifeson my favorite guitarist. He's not the fastest or most technical in the world, but his solos are some of the best sounding and most interesting on the planet. The solo in Limelight is often sited as being one of the most melodic in rock. His rythym work is also amazing.

Other neat solos: The Analog Kid, Freewill, Bytor and the Snow Dog, La Villa Strangiato, Leave That Thing Alone

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
HAHA epic failure of thread you had there glex :bowroflarms:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
i agree with the points you made about Petrucci... im a big fan of DT.

But yeah the only thing that saves dragonforce on stage is their amazing shows and stage presence

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Not to mention Geddy Lee is Candian :tiphat:
Also, YYZ by Rush is quite possibly one of their best songs.

As far as guitarists go though, I'm partial to more blues inspired artists. Jimi Hendrix, Tommy Iommi, Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Jim Martin, and Slash.

A lot of early metal and music from the New Wave of British Heavy Metal are some of the best IMO.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
if we're talking about influences. Yngwie and Jason becker are my biggest influences. Yngwie's instructional video was pretty much the be all and end all for my introduction into shred. as far as song writing Muhammad suicmez (necrophagist) and Eric Lindmark (deeds of flesh). Those two guys are insane.