• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Watched: Once were warriors 8/10
Watching: 2001 a space odyssey 9/10
watch later: American history x 8/10

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Watching: 2001 a space odyssey 9/10
This should be a 10 ;)

I got another two in yesterday:

eXistenZ (Cronenberg, 1999) 4
Funny Games (Haneke, 2008) 8.5

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Haven't seen any movies lately, but these were the last 2 I've seen:

Lord of War- Didn't enjoy it at all, stopped like 2/3 of the way through the movie.

Jumper- Better than I expected but nothing special.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Anyone have news on the new Harold and Kumar movie?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
California Split (Altman, 1974) 6
4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days (Mungiu, 2008) 9

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
This should be a 10 ;)

I got another two in yesterday:

eXistenZ (Cronenberg, 1999) 4
Funny Games (Haneke, 2008) 8.5

I wasnt really watching it. I was more listening to it hehe... love that soundtrack, composer is a genius (Micro-tones FTW)

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just saw jumper, nothing special to be honest but its ok. My expectation were too high

JS316

JS316

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There will be blood.

Daniel Day Lewis was amazing.
Line, couldn't find a breakdown of this film in here. I know I enjoyed it only for Lewis' performance. Don't suppose you wanna give your overview of it...?

Also, were Eli and Paul supposed to be different people? I though he was skitzo..?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
There will be blood.

Daniel Day Lewis was amazing.
Line, couldn't find a breakdown of this film in here. I know I enjoyed it only for Lewis' performance. Don't suppose you wanna give your overview of it...?

Also, were Eli and Paul supposed to be different people? I though he was skitzo..?
They were actually twin brothers. Originally Paul Dano was only supposed to play Paul but the actor hired for the part of Eli quit so P.T. Anderson made them twins. The breakdown of Eli towards the end (even before he "reappears", when he's been out in the real world committing sins) is partly because his strong devotion showed him nothing of a realists perspective and his "simple" brother was doing quite well. That being said, Plainview didn't necessarily know how Paul was doing but saying what he did really twisted the knife.

The story in itself is about Plainview. It basically shows the climbing of Daniel Plainview financially and establishing him as a fairly societally disconnected individual. Obviously his ventures in silver mining turn to oil as is the parlance of the times and he begins working more directly with people but isn't disenfranchised by social mobility to the point where his focus leaves opportunism. This is important as it establishes him as a loner of sorts, someone who's trying to stifle the past, a character trait that is explained later (obviously has a mutual disliking with his family). It becomes clearer that even as his own business flourishes that he is a well-spoken and charming man but mostly as a means to further himself economically, thus he has little understanding of people outside of knowing what they want to hear. This last point is evident and illustrated during the first town meeting we're shown when Plainview turns down a free lease because the people are thinking for themselves, making it harder for him to manipulate them.

Because of his scarce humane tendencies he adopts H.W. as his own, as if to either mirror himself through another human life or to create a personality within someone else that understands him, either way the themes of self-reflection and identity are clearly there. We seem him later throw away this relationship when the promises of an actual blood line is formed with the appearance of Henry. After this fails to produce he goes back to H.W. but to no avail. At this point he has detached himself completely from modern influences and individuals and instead drinks and begins to focus on more physical and material constructs, not as a means of projecting success, but because he prefers colder, lifeless figures because he can understand them; they uncomplicate things.

There's a lot more to it but most people overly play up the theme of ambition (capitalism) vs. faith (religion), which is there to an extent but not nearly as heavily people make it seem. It's much more about self-alienation, be it intentional or not.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
JS316

JS316

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Cheers Line.. awesome write up.. Now that I understand it more in depth...looking back I liked this movie even more.

Legend post bro

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Cheers Line.. awesome write up.. Now that I understand it more in depth...looking back I liked this movie even more.

Legend post bro
Any time. :tiphat:

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
A Clockwork Orange
...and what'd you think?

Vozvrashcheniye (Zvyagintsev, 2003) 6
L'homme qui aimait les femmes (Truffaut, 1977) 8
The Conversation (Coppola, 1974) 7
The Element of Crime (von Trier, 1984) 8
California Split (Altman, 1974) 6

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great movie. Kubrick's always a pleasure to watch though. 9/10 :xyxthumbs:

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am Legend...

CGI kinda sucked, and I only saw the alternate ending version and the ending was retarded as hell. But up to that point I thought it was a good movie and entertaining.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Great movie. Kubrick's always a pleasure to watch though. 9/10 :xyxthumbs:
I don't know if "pleasure" is what I'd use to describe the viewing experience but it is certainly a great film. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Sex, Lies, and Videotape (Soderbergh, 1989) 8