• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Well good for you...that's almost as good as the three movies I'll be seeing this weekend :rolleyes:

...make sure to take extra tissues :hollister:

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Line said:
Well good for you...that's almost as good as the three movies I'll be seeing this weekend :rolleyes:

...make sure to take extra tissues :hollister:

If my wife saw me with tissues at that film, divorce papers would be thrust into my hand before the credits roll.

NOT THAT I'D WANT TISSUES ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!

:spy:

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Pan's Labyrinth

The story of a young escapist's attempts to flee her wretched surroundings is, in my humble opinion, the best film of 2006. Ofelia, a child of about ten, travels with her pregnant mother to rural Spain during uprisings in 1944. She is thrust into an unsheltered world where her step-father, a captain of menacing power, overlooks all matters (beit of family or foe) with powerful cruelty. She's forced to watch as her world collapses and the most influential adults in her life (her mother and a servant named Mercedes) are accepting the cruel fate they are being drug into. Ofelia's only escape from her worsening surroundings is in the dark, almost gothic fairy tales she passionately enjoys despite her mother's insistence that "she's too old for stories."

Now in her own world, Ofelia encounters a Faun, a goat-like creature who informs her of a royal background and hands her a tome containing tasks that will lead to her immortality.

Writer/director Guillermo weaves this incredible story of life and fantasy to perfection. The feelings we have for the characters are genuine and powerful. Visually, nothing from 2006 aside from Children of Men can compare to the dark imagery we're immensed in both in and out of the labyrinth. Most impressive is the connection of the film to its audience which makes us forget the entire movie is shot in Spanish. The dissapearance acting and engrossing visuals are enough to draw any one into this realm of fantasy.

**** (out of ****)

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^I don't think I've seen a bad review of this film anywhere. Been voted top film of 2006 by quite a few people. Looking forward to seeing it - and what he does with Hellboy 2.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Just got back from The Last King of Scotland. It was good and definitely worth a viewing, I'm just not sure how good it was and if it's going to crack my Top 10.

P

Pain

VIP
Gonna watch TideLand tonight.

Good choice?

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^Not meant to be Gilliam's best work and it's supposedly pretty fucked up - even for Gilliam. Worth a watch I suspect though. Gotta be better than Brothers Grimm!

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rocky said:
^Not meant to be Gilliam's best work and it's supposedly pretty fucked up - even for Gilliam. Worth a watch I suspect though. Gotta be better than Brothers Grimm!
Yeah that movie blew all kinds of shit.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Some last-minute 2006 movies I'll be catching in the next few days...

-Letters from Iwo Jima
-Little Children
-L'Enfant
-The Fountain
-The Painted Veil
-Perfume: The Story of Murder

...anyone see any of these?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^Alas we're still behind on a couple of those. Want to see a couple of those myself. Quite the cast for that Perfume - not who you'd expect to see in that sort of film imo.

More importantly though - I saw Rocky Balboa last night and loved it.

Not that I'm biased - but thought it was a great way to end the series. Better than 5. It was cheesy yes, but it knew it was - the Rocky films aren't about being clever, they wear their heart on their sleeve and just give you an everyman to get behind and I like that. Don't get that in many films anymore.

F

fistacuffs

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Letters from Iwo Jima was amazing! Definately worth watching!

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
^^ Nice, hopefully I'll see it within the next few days.

Just watched a decent-quality screener of The Fountain. To be honest, I don't see why it received such bad reviews at all. While there were some flaws in the storylines (yes, plural), Aronofsky has created the most complete visually predominant narrative I've seen in a long while. The acting was great and the use of symbolistic editing was incredibly well done. Really looking forward to seeing this one with full DVD quality.

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Line, why do you always watch movies I've never heard of?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Chesticles said:
Line, why do you always watch movies I've never heard of?
Because Australia doesn't have culture? :e5dunno:

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Just watched Orgazmo...now there's a cult classic :uhoh2:

Orgazmo2mo 1

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rocky said:
Looking forward to seeing it - and what he does with Hellboy 2.
I hated Hellboy. Hey lets take an interesting concept and make it suck.
Line said:
Just watched Orgazmo...now there's a cult classic
One of my favs. Especially with Ron Jeremy in it. Loved him in his small role in Boondock Saints, which was great.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tim290280 said:
I hated Hellboy. Hey lets take an interesting concept and make it suck.

Well poo-poo to you then. Got Lady in the Water last night. I know it's meant to be pretty poor but still intrigued anyway.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I watched Little Children last night. Line > Rocky.