• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Official Film Discussion and Last Movie You Watched

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
After some reflection, Little Children was very good. A few faults, but overall it earned ***1/2 from me.

I also blind bought L'Enfant and watched it yesterday...jury's still out on it. While it was good, I don't understand the praise it's gotten from some critics or how it won the Palme d'Or. Maybe I'll watch it again soon, but it didn't have leave the initial impression on me that other French films like Caché did. ***

Just watched Edward Scissorhands for the first time. Great story, and it's easy to overlook its flaws. ***

Spike

Spike

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm gonna watch "A Better Tomorrow" with Chow Yun Fat tonight

A real bad ass movie :food-snacking:

D

danimalmax22

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
suddenly i want to watch Groundhog Day

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I watched "Waiting" tonight.

I wish I hadn't.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I saw Notes on a Scandal and Volver last night...time for me to get pretty snotty.

Notes on a Scandal

Notes struck my interest, as most movies do, because of achieving great critical acclaim; I've even seen it on several critics Top-10 lists of the year and it's garnered four academy award nominations, three of which are in "majoy categories". The story chronicals the arrival of Sheba Hart as a new art teacher at a bourgeois British school and the events to follow that unravel both her, and her collegue Barbara Covett's (a stirring Judi Dench).

However, each character's fall from grace is significantly different. After witnessing an affair between Sheba and a 15 year old student, Barb uses her leverage against the young teacher to try and further their relationship as "companions".

From a critical standpoint, Dench walks away with the picture. While Blanchett is convincing and able to dissapear into her role, the strengths of the screenplay certaintly play to Dench as the cunning, manipulative Barbara. What we're left with for Blanchett's character are a series of fairly unconvincing circumstances that led to her affair and her dealings with it after being exposed. Nonetheless, the lopsided quality of leads, while apparent, is not unforgivably distracting.

By the time the movie concludes (which is in fact well done), what we're left with is not what I'd consider a a serious drama only because the story is a little lacking of depth and consistancy. The movie feels more like a light-suspense due to its moments of intensity (although sparatic at times) and its fast-paced nature. I'm not particularly in love with the unfolding of Sheba's love affair but the documentary-like narration by Barbara as she pens her diary offers a fitting and cathartic touch and leaves us siding with Barb despite her ever-present ulterior motives.

I feel this film will play very well to most upon a first viewing but after some analysis the flaws start to surface. Still, not nearly enough are present for me to disrecommond it in any way.

*** (out of ****)

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Line said:
Because Australia doesn't have culture? :e5dunno:
Excuse me if I don't go to film festivales with my gay husband. (Rocky)

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Alien vs. Predator: Survival of the Fittest

Release Date: December 21, 2007
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Greg Strause, Colin Strause
Screenwriter: Shane Salerno
Starring: Reiko Aylesworth, Steven Pasquale, John Ortiz, Shareeka Epps, Johnny Lewis, Sam Trammell, David Paetkau
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: Not Available
Official Website: AVP-movie.com
Review: Not Available
DVD Review: Not Available
DVD: Not Available
Movie Poster: Not Available
Production Stills: Not Available
Plot Summary: In this follow-up to the worldwide hit "Alien vs. Predator," the iconic monsters from two of the scariest film franchises ever, wage their most brutal battle yet in an unsuspecting Colorado town.

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hannibal Rising

Release Date: February 9, 2007
Studio: MGM, The Weinstein Company
Director: Peter Webber
Screenwriter: Thomas Harris
Starring: Gaspard Ulliel, Gong Li, Rhys Ifans, Richard Brake, Kevin McKidd
Genre: Thriller
MPAA Rating: R (for strong grisly violent content and some language/sexual references)
Official Website: WeinsteinCo.com/HannibalRising
Movie Poster: View here
Production Stills: View here
Plot Summary: In "Red Dragon" we learned who he was. In "Silence of the Lambs" we learned how he did it. Now comes the most chilling chapter in the life of Hannibal Lecter – the one that answers the most elusive question of all - why?

"Hannibal Rising" marks the first time in the award-winning series, best selling author Thomas Harris ("Red Dragon," "Silence of the Lambs") writes the screenplay – reaching back to explore the origins of Lecter's rage, terror and savagery.

The story begins in Eastern Europe at the desperate end of World War II. For many it was no longer a conflict of nations but one of individual survival – at any cost. A young Hannibal watches from only steps away as his parents' violently die, leaving his cherished young sister in his care. This horrific moment will soon pale in comparison to the atrocities he is forced to witness and perhaps survive as a result of.

Alone and without any means of support, he is forced to live in a Soviet Orphanage that once served as his family's beloved home. He flees to Paris to find his uncle has died but his beautiful and mysterious Japanese widow, Lady Murasaki (Gong Li) welcomes him. Even her kindness and love cannot soothe the nightmares and sorrows that plague him. Showing a cunning aptitude for science he is accepted into medical school, which serves to hone his skills and provide the tools to exact justice on the war criminals that haunt him day and night. This quest will ignite an insatiable lust within a serial killer who was not born, but made.

Gaspard Ulliel plays the fearsome Lecter, alongside Gong Li, Rhys Ifans and Dominic West. Peter Webber ("Girl with a Pearl Earring") directs.

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Jurassic Park 4

Release Date: TBA 2008
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Joe Johnston
Screenwriter: William Monahan, John Sayles
Starring: Not available
Genre: Action, Adventure, Horror, Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: Not Available
Official Website: JurassicPark.com
Movie Poster: Not Available
Production Stills: Not Available
Plot Summary: Hapless humans once again are pitted against dinosaurs created from ancient strands of DNA.

Trailer:
Coming Soon!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Chesticles said:
Excuse me if I don't go to film festivales with my gay husband. (Rocky)
I would love to go to festivals...after I graduate I'm definitely going out to Park City Colorado for Sundance...Cannes would be even better but I think it's a bit exclusive. As for me and Rocky being gay lovers, his taste in movies isn't good enough for me. :food-snacking:

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Chesticles - why have you posted up info on the worst films coming out soon?

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Line said:
As for me and Rocky being gay lovers, his taste in movies isn't good enough for me. :food-snacking:

I have one word in response to that shamefully poor comment...Gigli.

CaptainCharisma

CaptainCharisma

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i was gonna watch 23, Jim Carrey is in it :e5dunno:

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Line said:
:bowroflarms: :bowroflarms:

Yeah, so does the trailer for The Number 23, right Rocky?
Well if its not about gay cowboys eating pudding, then I guess it doesn't appeal to you :e5dunno:

onebigeric

onebigeric

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^Stinking indies:49:

Hey Line, were you able to see Letters From Iwo Jima? Thoughts?

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Line said:
:bowroflarms: :bowroflarms:

Yeah, so does the trailer for The Number 23, right Rocky?

Number 23 might yet turn out to be ok - Gigli will never be ok...ever.