• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Pete's Quest for Mass

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
awesome back workout pete:2: deads look supa heavy, bb rows are great, and so are the pulldowns. straight to the point workout, thats the way to go:) keep it coming bro:2:

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Update from the Deadlifts: My lower back is on FIRE. Its so damn sore its almost painful. Sorry, I just had to bitch and moan a little. Ive been moving around in my office chair all day cause its been just bothering me like crazy. But I guess I'm happy to be in pain, hopefully Im growing!! Tonight im working arms, so it shouldn't get in the way at all.

That isn't anything but weakness leaving the body, clinging to that last hope to make you give up hoping and waiting for you to sit at home and pad it with fat. But you won't because you're a beast and loving the feeling. It's irritating at best but that is what seperates men from boys. Keep it up!

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks BulkBoy, I need that TONKA POWER of yours!! lol
Samoan, I'm telling you dude, you should be a preacher for lifting. I wish I could just have you talking at me when I'm lifting, I swear I would lift twice as much!

Yesterday was ARMS!! wooo Biceps/triceps/forearms

Biceps:
EZ bar curl: 105 (not including bar): 8,7,6
I felt real good with these. I got more than 20 reps on this, so next week Im going to bump up the weight to 110 + the bar!!

DB alternating curl: 60's: 8,6,6
A 1 rep increase from last week. Although it doesn't seem like a whole lot of difference, only one rep. If I can get one more rep each week, then Ill have 23+ reps in just three weeks. After I get that 23+ reps I move to 65's!! Slow and Steady progressive resistance is my game.

Reverse Curl (machine cable): 112.5: 10 117.5: 10 120: 10
I almost gave up on my last set at 8, I bent over to put the cable and bar down, and something just snapped in me and said nah screw that I have more. I think everyone in the gym was looking at me cause I had such a twisted face for those last two reps, but it was worh it.

TRICEPS
Tricep Push Press (smith machine): 210: 5 215: 5 220: 5 225: 5
If yoe haven't read my log before, the explanation for this exercise is under all my other arm workouts. It's basically like a shoulder press, but a shorter movement to exentuate the tricep.

Tricep Pushdown (cable machine): 182.5: 10 187.5: 10, 10 190: 8
These as usual felt awesome, the pump, the feel, it was great. I just have to make sure both of my arms are doing equal work. I have a suspicion that my left tricep is doing a little more of the work.

Anyway, this was a really awesome workout for me. everything has been going up very steadily and I hope I can keep it going!!

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Seeing as this is My QUEST FOR MASS

I figured I should also share my exact small goals I set for myself after my competition in August. It's basically a weight gain goal, segmented into a month by month goal to ultimately achieve my quest to get up to 215 by the 1st of May.

Each month represents the 1st of the month and the weight I need to get to.

September: 197.5 ACCOMPLISHED!
October: 200.0 ACCOMPLISHED!
November: 202.5
December: 205.0
January: 207.5
February: 210.0
March: 212.5
April: 215.0
May: 217.5

I made each incrament 2.5 pounds per month, something I find to be challenging, but very much obtainable. It doesn't seem like much, but I feel that gaining anymore than this naturally just isnt possible for me without gaining a huge excess of fat. I expect to gain some fat over the year, but not so much where its impossible for me to lose for my next competition. I also ended my quest at 217.5 because my goal is for 215, so by shooting for something a bit higher, I feel 215 will be easier to get by May. The reason I chose to stop at May is because I will probably do my next show in July or August. By stopping in May I give myself I good ten weeks of slow and steady contest prep to get rid of all the fat.

If I don't reach my goal, or do reach my goal, but it turns out most of the weight gain was fat and not muscle, I will not do any competitions next summer. I will continue to try and put on lean muscle for ANOTHER YEAR. Or if for some reason the weight I gain doesn't look like an impressive change from the year before, I will not compete.

My whole basis for this is quest is to make major improvements on my physique for competitions. If I do so, I will compete next summer. If I don't, I will do it all over again for another year..

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That's where it's at man, when you look in the mirror to see the stacked mass of muscle, everyone sees you as being big you you know the dates you added every fiber of that muscle, the super sets, the cycles, the cramps and the burn. Like a great wall you will build for the moment of unveiling, the moment of muscle superiority, before you step on the stage your competition will see it too losing all hope of victory from then on their only objective will be to get as close to being you as possible.

Heavy Bicep looking nice man, Now lets "exceed" that mass goal for May, brother.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You said it all brother. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Have you competed before man? Your lifts are crazy strong and Im sure you have a great frame with a lot of muscle on it.

Till

Till

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Damn good workout, pete! Looking really well and you're definitely
putting in the work and dedication. Very motivational.

A note on the back workout: Mr. Back himself, Dorian Yates, did deads at the end of his backworkout, where he also did BB rows in the middle of the workout, so you can put other exercises before the deadlift. But, since the deadlift is so taxing and one of the best moves for overall back developement, just keep during them first (thats what I would do, if I did them...) I myself start with pullups and move on the different rows and pulldowns after that, but keep doing your thing - it seems to work, and Dorian also said: "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" :xyxthumbs:

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks Til that means a lot man I've really been trying to stay dedicated to this and put all my efforts into reaching my goal. I'm so glad someone around here is quoting the king of backs Mr. Yates!! I actually am heavily influenced by his back training tips. Im with you bro, Im going to keep the deads first. I think Dorians back was so damn thick he didn't need to prioritize them first like I do. You should think about giving them a go, they make you feel so powerful. Pullups first is definitly a good idea though, they're exhausting. Thanks again for the comment man!!

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pistol BANG BANG pete :keke:
great biceps and triceps and forearm workout bro.
awesome lifts with some serious amount of weight.

Some good laid out goals you have set for yourself bro and best of luck with them, make sure you keep us updated with how it all goes, as we continue to support every step with you :tiphat:

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Have you competed before man? Your lifts are crazy strong and Im sure you have a great frame with a lot of muscle on it.

Yea In highschool, powerlifting wasn't an offical sport but the highschools all had lifters so they get together and compete my weight class I placed 1st in all of them except my first I was beat by a senior in my own school by 10 lbs. on the bench... that fucker lol.

Then 05 competed in a Novice Comp, In the Natural Athletic Sports Association, shattering the state records in my weight divison for High schools, in everything. So i guess I retained my strength from power lifting but going to use it now to build mass the cuts.

Going for the Markus Ruhl look but with way better legs.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
@Dridderz Thanks man! I knew this was the place to discuss and share my goals with. All you guys are great with the constant support system. In the end, we're all in this crazy thing together stuggling and fighting for the same cause. By the way, your avi is hardcore lol. Squats truely are the hardest lift. I'll be keeping an eye on your log as well. You have any specific goal now that your competition is over? You looked awesome in your comp. by the way. I was really impressed with your conditioning.

@Samoan. Good man. I'm really glad to hear that you compete!! I was thinking, this guy is crazy if hes not showing the world his crazy strength. Way to go with breaking those records. That must be the greatest feeling no one can touch you. To truely be # 1 in so many categories. just wow. Markus Ruhl? Sounds like a damn good goal. You definitly have that type of powerful look. His shoulders are the craziest thing I've ever seen. Just make sure and keep your midsection in control. Something he never cared to do.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Damn fine sessions buddy. Some fantastic lifts and looks like you've reached your goals commendably! Superb job.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
awesome bicep and tricep work, curls and close grip press is strong as hell:2: way to get those guns blazing:D

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
@Rocky: Thanks for the support and stopping by! Please keep coming later on as reaching my goals will be easier with the support of you and others so much.

@ Bulkboy: Thanks man!! I'm trying to get those pistols as big as yours! lol

Ok so Friday was Shoulder/Trap Day. This workout is very very very basic, but compound and heavy. Only 4 exercises, but its enough to stimulate and work each muscle fully, consistantly, and progressively.

Shoulder Press: 200: 5 205: 5 210: 5,5,
5 seems to be the magic number with my pressing movements. I can't grow unless im using heavier weight and low reps. At the same time I don't want to go under 4 reps much as I feel like I'll lose my control over the muscle and have to use too many secondary muscles.

Upright row: 160: 8 170: 8 175: 8 180: 8
Done with a wide grip and brought to lower chest/nipple. Im starting to use a slight momentum at the bottom. I feel like thats ok though. If I'm stopping 100% at the bottom then Im probably not using heavy enough weight.

Reverse fly (machine): 150: 8 157.5: 10 165: 10 167.5: 8
These felt awesome. Good squeeze, and contraction. This will definitly help with my back work.

Reverse Shrug: 275: 8 285: 8 290: 8 305: 8
These were better. I decided to go heavier on these. Ive been doing for a while and worrying too much about form. This is a short heavy movement and Im going to treat it as such from now on. I'll work it like this for a couple months and monitor my progress.

Rope crunches: 200: 10 202.5: 8,10
I had extra time lol :)

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Great workout Pete, Super heavy shoulder presses there. Upright row is solid and wide and revearse shurgs are really heavy. Good job Pete, nice basic workout :)

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Monday was LEG DAY! I always get real excited/scared before leg day. I know its going to be my toughest workout, so the idea of getting a PR just consumes me. If I get it, Im on cloud 9 for a whole week. If I don't.... I can't stop thinking about that workout until the next week! aghhh....Luckily though, this happened to be a great workout.

1. Front squat: 260: 6 265: 6 270: 6 275: 5
These were all in good form, and felt great. another PR!

2. Leg Press: 330: 10 350: 8 370: 10 390: 8
The 90 degree angle I was doing for leg presses before was getting a little frightening after squats. So I decided to change it to the machine in my gym. I kept my feet about 6 inches apart. And It felt awesome the whole time. Next time Im going to put my feet lower on the pad and about 4 inches apart. A lot like a hack squat.

3. Seated Leg Curl: 215: 8 220: 7
Not great, I didn't get a great feel out of this.

4. Glute Ham raises: BW: 15,15
I had my training partner hold my ankles. Man were these hard. I can't get the whole movement on my own yet, I still have to use my hands to break my fall a bit. But my goal is to get 3-5 on my own by the new year!!

5. Stiff Deads: 230: 8,8,8
Felt great, nice stretch, very controlled, and taxed the hammies.

6. Lunges: 185: 8 190: 8,8
Done in smith machine one leg at a time. Felt AWESOME. my glutes are really feeling it today lol

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks Big Guns! I tried to take your approach with shoulders, in that its really not exessive with volume.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Thanks Big Guns! I tried to take your approach with shoulders, in that its really not exessive with volume.

Yeh man, thats the way to go. Glad you changed it up abit.

Your leg workout was awesome mate. Great front squats and you followed that up with leg presses. Nice one :2:

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Front squats are looking heavy.
free weight fronts are tough to balance, congrats man ! :)

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
@hypocrisy: Yea man your totally right about the balance issue. I started off when I first did front squats this summer on a smith machine to get situated, then after a month I moved to free weights. Once I got my balance down, the weights went up! Thanks for stopping by bro!