• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Pete's Quest for Mass

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks to everyone for all the awesome support and cheer. That's the stuff that fuels my tank in the gym.

So my current split has me in the gym 4 days a week. The lowest volume I've ever done probably. I've been doing this for about 1.5 months. I gotta say, I LOVE IT. My body has been recovering well and I feel like all my workouts have been reflecting that. consistant PR's and increasing reps, etc. Monday and Tuesday were rest days, with the exception of a short HIT cardio session on Monday. I was feeling so anxious to lift those two days, but I let my body make the decision for me, not my brain. My body was telling me, just give it these rest days and you'll lift on Wed. That's what I did. I think the combination of wanting to get in the gym + my recovery time really pushed this workout.

BICEP/TRICEP/FOREARM!!

TRICEPS:

1. Tricep Push Press: 230: 5,5,5
PR! lowered volume by one set. I was feeling feeling toasted after the three sets, I definitely felt that it was enough.

2. Cable Pushdowns: 192.5: 8,8,8 195: 7
PR! I looked in the mirror after these...my triceps have never looked so big. They were just blown the fuck up.

BICEP:

1. EZ bar curl: 110 (not including bar): 9,6,6
PR on reps. I got 21 reps completed in the three sets, so this means I move to 115 next week! I successfully added a rep or two more with the 110 each week. It took me a couple weeks to conquer this weight, but I did it! now im ready to battle 115!!

2. DB alternating curls: 60's: 8,8,8
PR on reps. Last week I had enough reps to move up to 65's but I decided to stick with this weight one more week and really just own it. I really did that last night. Every set felt tough, but totally controlled and working. I can't wait to try 65's next week!!

3. Reverse cable curl: 130: 8,8,7
PR on reps and sets. I only did one set of this last week and it just about killed me. This week I just killed it. I'm definitely going to try 132.5 next week.

This workout was so damn good for me. I felt like I was on top of the world after it. everything that could have gone wrong went right. All obstacles were completed, and now Im ready for another mountain to climb next week.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No love on the Arm workout?? It's all good, yesterday was LEG DAY! For some reason, now that I've been really fighting against the weights on Leg day, I get some anxiety during the day just thinking about the lift. It doesn't go away until I finally get in that squat rack and do work!

1. Front Squat: 280: 5 285: 4,5,4
PR! I never tried 285 until yesterday. Man was it a difference. I'm going to keep this weight for a while probably. Even though I got good reps out of it I want to keep it around for a little while so i really master it and get my mind muscle connection stronger with the heavier weight.

2. narrow stance leg press: 395: 8,8 400: 8
PR! This felt so much easier this week. Not really sure why. I hope its not because I didn't use enough quad on the first exercises. But either way, I was happy with how I pressed.

3. Seated leg curl: 235: 8 240: 6
PR! Man, 235 felt pretty damn good, but that 240 was a different ball game. I had good form the whole time, but it was much harder. I guess thats all I can really ask for though.It's crazy how 5 more pounds can make such a difference.

4. glute ham raises: 2 sets to failure.
These are just really damn hard. I might move them to the end of my workout just so it doesn't effect anything else in the workout.

5. Stiff leg Deads: 250: 8,8
PR! These felt great. Nice stretch at the bottom. I'm really liking this exercise.

6. Lunges: 205: 8,8
PR! I really struggled with these last week. This week it felt tough, but not nearly as hard as last week, and this was with 5 more pounds on it.

All around good workout. A lot of PR's. I can enjoy a rest day now. I noticed that the rest days aren't only for the muscles to recover but also for the central nervous system. I can actually feel a little achey from the workout all across my body. Not just my legs, but my body as a whole feels a tiny bit run down from the hard work. I know by tomorrow i'll be 100%. I'm getting a lot better at listening to my body which should definitely help put on size. hypothetically, If i were to tell my body to shut up and lift today, I would probably put so much stress and trauma on my body that it wouldn't do me any good. My body is trying to recover as a whole, and i need to treat it as such.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice one bro and I hear ya we all get squat day anxiety, I was with my g/f the other night and we were occupied but all I could think about was squatting the next day.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hello All! Saturday and Sunday were productive days for Chest and Back. I'm looking forward to just vegging out today and getting my must needed recovery in.

Saturday: CHEST/CALVES/ABS

1. Incline Press: 245: 4,4,4,3
I only did 1 set of this weight last week. So I really wanted to hammer away at this weight. I have the feel for it now.

2. Decline Press: 225: 5 230: 5,5,5
PR! I knew 225 would be too easy this week, and it was! 230 felt great, I still had it very much under control and has a clear mind muscle connection.

3. Machine Fly: 222.5: 8,8 222.5: 7
PR. I got that stretch i was looking for, and a nice pump to finish off the chest workout with. I generally have less rest time for this exercise. I don't treat it as a power movement like my presses.

CALVES

1. calf raise (toes forward): 320: 10 325: 10,10
PR! These just feel so damn good. The weight is right where it needs to be. Its challenging, but Im still getting a full ROM and contraction at the top.

2. Caf raise (toes in): 280: 10 285: 8,8
PR. These are just real damn hard. When I put my toes in, it hits the outside of my calf. Its such a small muscle, but necessary to hit. The movement is a little awkward, but I definitely see a difference in my calves.

ABS

1. Rope Crunch: 202.5: 10 205: 8,8
PR. The 202.5 felt easy, but damn that extra 2.5 was tough. My form felt like it was wavering a bit on those two sets. I'm going to really focus to make 205 an easy weight for me.

2. Hanging leg raise: 15: 10, 10, 8
PR! I was really surprised these went so well this week. I thought the new weight would be hard, but I did real well with it. I have noticed a significant difference in my abs lately. My lower abs are finally gaining some size!

3. oblique superset: I did a set of side crunches on each side (about 15 each) then did trunk twists (40).

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sunday was BACK DAY!!

1. Deadlifts: 410: 5 440: 5,4
PR! 440 was really tough. The hardest part is the initial lift off. I thought I was going to black out when I was lifting it for a second. I think because I had such a rush of blood to the head (not a coldplay pun! lol).

2. Underhand BB rows: 250: 7,7,7
I did 250 for only one set last time, and 3 this time. I really got comfortable with this weight, I should have no problem moving to 255 next week.

3. T bar rows: 172.5: 8,8,8
Same thing as BB rows. one set last week, three sets this week to really feel the weight. I just need to make sure im focusing hard on contracting my middle back on this. It's my weakest spot and need to bring it up.

3. Pulldowns: 255: 8,8,8
Same Story here lol. one set of this last week, 3 sets this week. again, this weight felt much better this week. success!

4. Rack Chins: 12: 8,6,8
Man These were tough at the end of the workout. I think I'm going to try a 15 pound db next week!

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice deads pete and congrats on the deadlift... blacking out.. now you know how i feel on dead day lol.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know Im no where near your level Samoan, but I feel ya man. Heavy Deads hits your body hard as hell and I was definitely feeling it yesterday.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
HAHA maybe strength wise, but if you give 110% and I give 110%, weight don't matter we both did the same amount of work. you're always bringing the thunder, I love it.:coolguy:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Awesome deads Pete and your chest work was none-too-shabby either.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yesterday was SHOULDER/TRAP day. Real basic day. I keep it heavy with pretty low volume. I don't like to do too much for shoulders because they get so much work done in all my upper body days.

1. Military Press: 215: 4,4,4
I got one more rep than last time. I know its only one more rep, but its still progression.

2. Upright Row: 187.5: 8,8,8
PR. This was tough, but it felt pretty damn good. I got a nice squeeze and hold at the top, and my wrists never felt like they were being strained.

3. Reverse Fly: 177.5: 8,8,8
PR. This went well. I had to put the weight down for about a second sometimes just because I feel like after a handful of continuous reps my shoulders are being pulled a little too much. Once I put the weight down for just a second it relieves the pull from my shoulder.

TRAPS

1. Reverse Shrugs: 315: 8 325: 8,8,8
PR. These felt pretty good, I feel like it might have been a little too much weight. I might bump it down to 320 next week to get a better feel.

I got this workout done in about an hour. All pretty simple, but still a trying workout. The work I did was tough, and I went to failure so it went well.

Tonight I'm going to be doing my sprint workout. 8 sets of all out sprints for about 70 meters with a one minute rest period in between.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice sessions u have been having lately man! keep up the good work!

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks Vegeta! I appreciate it man, as the weight gets heavier, its been getting tougher (obviously lol). I'm just trying to keep the progression going as long as I can.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice bro nice, nice size on the traps do next ot a mirror or use a cam to check your form.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey so anyone that lives in the states knows that Thanksgiving just happened. I went home for a couple of days and was supposed to have an Arm workout and a Leg workout. I got the arm workout done, but I really didn't want to do the leg workout because the gym I go to at home really doesn't cater to what I need to do for legs. I decided to just wait until I got back to school. I'm back now so I'm going to get my leg workout in tonight.
The Arm workout was a bit unconventional as well becaus the equipment I had to use for triceps was different at the gym at home.

*Note, this Arm workout was a bit unusual from the past workouts because I was at a different gym.

Triceps: Close grip bench: 195: 5,5,5,5

Pushdowns: 9 plates ( I think they might have been 20 pounds each): 8,8,8,8

Biceps: EZ bar curl: 115: 6,5,5
This was standard. I moved up 5 pounds this week and it went pretty well. I want to be able to add one more rep each week. I feel like next week I'll be able to get 18 total reps.

DB alternating curl: 65's: 6,6,6
This was my first time on 65's and it surprisingly felt pretty good. my reps were obviously lower, but I still got a good feel from this new weight.

Hammer curls: I took the 35 pound DBs and just went to failure. I might have done about 20 reps each arm.

Pullups: I went to failure three times. I got about 7 reps each time.

so yea, this was definitely a different workout for sure. I kept it fun, but I still had a good workout. I'll be back to my normal schedule now that I'm back at school though.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Also, today is December 1st, my weigh in day.

I needed to hit 205 to be on track and I managed to hit just shy of 206!!

I hit my goal again for this month. I'm sure all the food on thanksgiving helped!
By New Years day I need to be at 207.5 pounds.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Nice arm workout you had bro. Can't wait for that leg workout to be posted. Glad you have reached your goal and I hope you reach the next one too. :xyxthumbs:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice arm session man! congrats on the weight! what are ur plans? bulking forever :keke:

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Congrats with the goal bro, and yea thanksgiving .. man i love that day... the turkey, stuffing, manicotti ...*sighs*

Nice arm day as well, kuda for going through with it working with... possibly inadequate equipment.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
@ Big Guns Lance: Thanks a lot man, Im trying to get these arms to grow! Each goal is in the back of my head alllllll the time, so im just so relieved to have hit it. By the way, that picture of Dorian is sick! When is that from?

@ Vegeta: That increase in weight is what I live for!! Im so excited for new challenges. My plans are to keep with my weight gaining goals until June. Which I should be at 218. 15 pounds heavier than last year. I want to make sure its mostly lean muscle. I'm an amateur competitor, so I will make a judgement call at the beginning of June to see if I have made enough improvements to make a big difference on stage. If I feel I have, I will start dieting for a show in the summer. If I feel I won't be competitive enough, I will just keep bulking for ANOTHER YEAR! ahhhh!

@ Samoan: Yea man, I really tried to do the best I could with the lack of equipment I needed. It's not that I use a lot of machines, its just what they had is so different from what I use. Thanksgiving is easily my favorite holiday. You can eat a ton and still keep it anabolic!! Those Native Americans and Pilgrims knew what was up! haha

Last night was my leg workout

1. Front Squats: 285: 5,5,5 290: 4
PR. I want to keep my progression with squats very very slow because I feel like its really easy for me to compensate with my glutes instead of keeping the focus on my quads especially when the weight gets heavier.

2. Leg Press: 400: 8,8 405: 8
PR. This is just a bit too easy now. It's challenging, but I've maxed out the machine. I keep my feet literally touching, so theres no room inbetween my feet, i make it that narrow. It feels great, and I can feel my sweep really pumping up. But I can increase the weight anymore :(

3. Seated leg curl: 240: 8,8
These were real challenging again, but I got a nice contraction and good stretch.

4. Stiff leg Deads: 255: 8,8
PR. These are getting tough, and I love it. I'm getting an awesome burning stretch at the bottom of the movement.

5. Lunges: 210: 8,8
PR. Great way to end the workout! I do this one leg at a time on a smith machine.

This was a great workout for me. I'm going to swap the leg press for my modified version of a hack squat. Theres no hack squat in my gym, so I'm going to use the smith machine. I'm going to load the bar, and hold it with my hands behind my back (using straps). I'll keep my feet about a foot infront of the bar, and proceed to squat until below parallel. I'm going to keep my feet very narrow so I can focus on my outer sweep.